What's new

American Idol - Season 9 (2 Viewers)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
There's probably already a thread, but I didn't see it with the new search.

Paula's out. I guess she couldn't come to an agreement, though it seems like pretty easy money that's going to be hard to come by anywhere else.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090805/ap_on_en_ot/us_tv_american_idol_abdul;_ylt=Ao_PrIw9nQ79rKgClHN7yK1I2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTJ2ZTkwZnRnBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkwODA1L3VzX3R2X2FtZXJpY2FuX2lkb2xfYWJkdWwEcG9zAzEEc2VjA3luX3BhZ2luYXRlX3N1bW1hcnlfbGlzdARzbGsDZm94c2F5c3BhdWxh

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Well next season just got a whole lot better, in my opinion.

I hope the rumour that she will land on So You Think You Can Dance is false...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
As a side note, Kara has signed on for next season. Unless they bring in a new fourth, it'll be back to the three judge system. Four was kind of a disaster for time management and other reasons.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I can't say I loved or hated her. What I can say is that I grew tired of her, then grew to appreciate her just a little bit more when Kara DioGuardi was added. Hopefully they'll go back to 3 judges.

As for Paula's decision, it's an interesting thing when a "disrespectful" offer is still your best option. Should Paula have looked at the reported 30% raise she was offered, or shoujld she look at what Simon Cowell and Ryan Seacrest were getting. Specifically, did Ryan add more to the show than Paula? The answer from the producers is apparently, "Yes." Pauls obviously feels slighted and unappreciated that she's receiving so much less than her two male counterparts, but it's a complex issue. Is American Idol really the SImon and Ryan show? I doubt they'd give Randy comparable money to Simon and Ryan either.

I think there were two hosts during Season 1 (I've seen clips) and it was kind of painful. Ryan does a much better job, with the possible exception of the slight cruelty in the name of creating trumped up drama. Thankfully, So You Think You Can Dance doesn't do stuff like asking people which group they think they belong to during results shows.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I think this sucks. Paula's contribution, while arguably of little actual "judge" value, had immense entertainment value in a train wreck manner of speaking...

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Unless the producers can come up with a way for Simon to "cozy up" with Kara (and make it believable!), this smells like the makings of a big mistake. As always, YMMV, but I can't tell you how many of those 'tween' weeks (after selecting the Top 12, but before the Top 3 - - you know, all of the horrid "Theme" weeks with mentors) I watched, just for the banter between Simon and Paula's train-wreck critiques. Say what you like about her, but IMO, her participation has always been a key ingredient to the program's success. Bear in mind, I watch the program SOLELY for its entertainment value and have never for a minute taken the program seriously when it proclaims that its goal is to sign "the best undiscovered singer in America blah, blah, blah..." I may be wrong, but I think there a lots of others who also feel as I do.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

Well next season just got a whole lot better, in my opinion.
x2

Now if they'd also replace Randy Jackson, the show might be watchable again.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Paula was easily the only judge worth watching last season--she actually gave constructive advice as well as a few moments of trainwreck entertainment. Randy's a broken record; Simon was so obviously bored last season and the feeling was mutual about him; and Kara was just absolutely worthless on every level.

She could annoy me at times but all in all I'll miss her.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Word is, her manager basically refused to wait, and Fox hadn't finished negotiating with others. No talks apparently ever happened before she started being pitched for "So You Think You Can Dance" etc. and that ended it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
This is a good thing -- no more rambling, no empty compliments. But mostly, no more useless and time wasting schoolyard back and forth between Simon and Paula.

Now if they could just get some singers with actual talent and not TV ready backstories, the show could actually get good again.

But I sort of doubt that.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Not disapointed to see Paula go at all. I wonder if this wasn't the plan all along since bringing Kara in. Bring Kara in last season. If Kara does OK, nudge Paula out. If Kara doesn't do OK, boot Kara and keep Paula. I have a hard time believing they really planned on going with four judges long-term.

Personally, I felt Kara did fine. Was she as comfortable as the rest of the judges? No. But the three other judges had been doing the show for 7 years. Kara should get a change to get comfortable with her role just like the other judges did.

I completely wrote Paula off after the episode where she did the lip-sync performance. If you're going to be judging contestants on their ability to perform, and you're a performer yourself, you have no business lip-syncing. Then a few weeks later, Kara takes the stage and actually sings live. Kudos to Kara.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly Fox wants to continue with a fourth judge and get a replacement. Katy Perry and Victoria Beckham among others will fill in as guest judges during the auditions.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That surprises me (about them wanting a fourth judge). I don't think I've heard anyone say that having a fourth judge last year was an improvement.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
As long as Katy Perry doesn't sing, I'm up for her presence on the show. She's proven that you don't necessarily have to have a great voice to have a decent go at a music career, however short it ends up being.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
News shows like GMA, Fox News, CNN have all done polls that say fans are VERY outraged over Paula leaving and think the show will suffer greatly. She was the reason many like to watch because of her chemistry with Simon and how it was cute when Paula would do those goofy things that you had to love her because there wasn't a mean bone there, it was just pure Paula. However the same can NOT be said about Kara. Fans WANTED her long gone from the show and most everyone thought she was stuck up, rude, arrogant and overall a very poor person to have on the show. Her chemistry was none and she had zero appeal to anyone according to the polls. Also, EW did a poll that had 49% of the people saying the were NOT going to watch AI next year because Paula was not there and planned to make good on it. The EW survey found the same results about Kara as well in fans almost DEMANDED they get someone else, anyone else, besides her. What EW noted was if fans made good on NOT watching the show then it could mean a DRAMATIC shift and one that could prove costly for AI in more ways than one. Bottom line on all the polls is if you change what was working with the 3 main judges then you are playing with fire and it could mean dire problems for the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks