Second Unit
Is anyone experiencing audio dropouts
when watching PH in DD 5.1
I thought I had a bad disc exchanged it
and still have DD dropouts, DTS
works fine. TIA

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I had no problems with this movie in DD 5.1. In fact, the only problem I had was that I had to turn the sub down or else the stress joints in my support beams might have crumbled!!! Seriously though, you probably had a bad disk. My soon to be upgraded receiver can't handle DTS, so I offer no opinions there.

-Evan

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
Pearl Harbor is the only disc that
I receive a message on my receiver
display panel (dialog norm: + 4db)
PH has been recorded 4db higher than
usual. PH is also the only disc I
have ever experienced Audio Dropouts.
May be a bad batch of PH's at CC or
some relationship to higher recording
level and the 898 I am not aware of.

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
From another thread I posted on earlier:

Well, I just picked Pearl Harbor up today. My Onkyo 797 automatically put itself in DTS ES Matrix 6.1 mode when I played the DTS track, and THX Surround Ex mode when I switched it to DD5.1.

HOWEVER... The sequence I was watching when I did the audio switch was where the Arizona was sinking, and the guy is screaming that he can't swim... (99:40-100:19) In straight DD -or- EX mode, I am getting audio dropouts! First DVD I've come across that on....Grrrr

I'm running this on my trusty Pioneer DV-525 that has never coughed on one DVD that other brands seem to have problems with.

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
Seth,

Do the dropouts you found happen all the time with DD, or just in certain scenes? If the latter, does it happen when you switch THX mode off, or does it not matter?

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Roger,
It didn't seem to matter if THX was on or not. It was quite the busy weekend, so I didn't get a chance to check on it any more. I will endeavor to do so tonight and report back.
Thanks for the reply! :)
-Seth

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
Roger
I have just tried a third new PH
and still audio dropouts, many many
audio dropout in DD mode only, DTS is
fine. This happens with THX on or off
EQ on or off and on certain scenes only
they are not random dropouts.

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Roger-
Well, it doesn't seem to matter. I jumped from the bombing scene back to the beginning to where they're playing chicken and audio dropouts still exist. DD,THX, Re-EQ on/off...nothing seemed to matter. Switched back to DTS mode and watched various scenes for about 10 minutes without one problem.
I bought mine at Fry's, so it's not just a bad batch at one certain store. And this is with two different models of Onkyo (my 797 is 3 weeks old).
I know the easy fix is to just listen to it in DTS mode, but that's not exactly a "fix".
Thanks for your input...my Dolby Digital sign is still hanging proudly over my entertainment center. :)
-Seth

Dan M

Second Unit
I'm experiencing audio drop outs in DD 5.1 throughout the entire movie.
DTS plays fine
I have a Panasonic RP91 with an Onkyo 989.
I've never experienced this type of problem before with any disc. Bummer:frowning:

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
I am having the same problem with my 989 with the DD soundtrack. No problem with DTS though. I am going to test it on my neighbors system this weekend (he has a Denon AVR 1800 with Panasonic DVD player). i will post what I find out.

Dave

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
I was told By the tech support dept at
Onkyo my 898 experienced DD audio
dropouts due to a defective DD sound
tract on PH, they did not tell me JP3
would also have DD audio dropouts or if I were to put my 787 back online
DD in both PH and JP3 would play just
fine.
If anyone has an idea why new
disc's such as PH and JP3 (both of
which have DD and DTS) when combined with the 898 have audio dropouts and older disc's like Seven and Gladiator
don,t PLEASE let me know. TIA

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
Also for those of you that experienced
audio dropouts in the DD sound tract of
Pearl Harbor and have Jurassic Park 3
do you find this also true. I have played both disc's on a Onkyo 787 without a problem. It appears Onkyo has
a problem with their new higher end
receivers and newly recorded DD DVD disc's. Please advise. Thanks

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Do DVDs frequently need to be exchanged? I always thought it is my first generation DVD player whenever I see a skip.

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
"If anyone has an idea why new disc's such as PH and JP3"

Don't know about JP3 but Pearl Harbor's DD track is DD EX flagged... the first DVD to have this. I guessing various decoders are having problems with this.

Shawn

Len Berkoski

Stunt Coordinator
Any recommendations as to how to proceed? Should I contact the Onkyo service rep as well, so they see a recurring trend here? Who would be heading up this investigation, DD, Onkyo, or the Disc Producers?

If I read this correctly, Onkyo owners appear to have problems with Pearl Harbor, Bad Taste, and Jurassic Park III. Are there any other new titles that might exhibit this behavior?

Also, if this does end up requiring some sort of firmware upgrade in the Onkyo 898, I'm curious how I can best obtain service. I bought my receiver from J&R, but would I have to ship it back to them or work with a local service department. I'd hate to be without it for an extended period of time!!! (Yes, I'll go home and read the policies).

Andrew P

Second Unit
I just bought an Onkyo 898 and JP3. I havent tried the disc yet though.

Has Onkyo said anything about this problem? Im not overly concerned though because I always use the DTS soundtrack when one is available, but I would still expect the recevier to play the DD version correctly.

Andy

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know about JP3 but Pearl Harbor's DD track is DD EX flagged... the first DVD to have this.
Shawn,

I don't believe this is true.....It's definately not the first, as Star Wars: Phantom Menace had a DD EX mix. Now that I think about it, Austin Powers 2 also had a DD EX mix. There's probably a bunch more out there...

I've played the DD EX track from Pearl Harbor on my Denon 3802, and didn't have a problem.

It sounds like Onkyo may have trouble with certain discs that have a "unique" DD stream. By unique, I mean that it may not stick to the "standard"..

-Ryan

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,

"I don't believe this is true.....It's definately not the first, as Star Wars: Phantom Menace had a DD EX mix. Now that I think about it, Austin Powers 2 also had a DD EX mix. There's probably a bunch more out there... "

This is true... they had a DD EX mix and there are many others that way.

BUT they did not have a flag in the DD data stream identifying that they were EX encoded. Pearl Harbor is the first DVD to have the EX flag identifying it to decoders as being EX encoded.

Shawn

Dillon Poole

Agent
HOWEVER... The sequence I was watching when I did the audio switch was where the Arizona was sinking, and the guy is screaming that he can't swim... (99:40-100:19) In straight DD -or- EX mode, I am getting audio dropouts! First DVD I've come across that on....Grrrr
Sorry, can't help it, I'm a history nut :) (which makes me not like Pearl Harbor, but hey, its a good popcorn film with good sound and scenes). But that was the Oklahoma sinking, not the Arizona, the Arizona simply sunk, the Oklahoma capsized over later in the attack. The first scene where you follow the bomb dropping is the Arizona, where it just explodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks