Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Onkyo 898 and Pearl Harbor

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 of 73 OFFLINE   Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted December 08 2001 - 10:50 AM

Is anyone experiencing audio dropouts when watching PH in DD 5.1 I thought I had a bad disc exchanged it and still have DD dropouts, DTS works fine. TIA
Jerry

#2 of 73 OFFLINE   Evan S

Evan S

Screenwriter

• 2,211 posts

Posted December 08 2001 - 01:57 PM

I had no problems with this movie in DD 5.1. In fact, the only problem I had was that I had to turn the sub down or else the stress joints in my support beams might have crumbled!!! Seriously though, you probably had a bad disk. My soon to be upgraded receiver can't handle DTS, so I offer no opinions there. -Evan
searching for that elusive, "perfect" sound.

#3 of 73 OFFLINE   Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted December 08 2001 - 03:42 PM

Pearl Harbor is the only disc that I receive a message on my receiver display panel (dialog norm: + 4db) PH has been recorded 4db higher than usual. PH is also the only disc I have ever experienced Audio Dropouts. May be a bad batch of PH's at CC or some relationship to higher recording level and the 898 I am not aware of.
Jerry

#4 of 73 OFFLINE   Seth T

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted December 08 2001 - 11:07 PM

From another thread I posted on earlier: Well, I just picked Pearl Harbor up today. My Onkyo 797 automatically put itself in DTS ES Matrix 6.1 mode when I played the DTS track, and THX Surround Ex mode when I switched it to DD5.1. HOWEVER... The sequence I was watching when I did the audio switch was where the Arizona was sinking, and the guy is screaming that he can't swim... (99:40-100:19) In straight DD -or- EX mode, I am getting audio dropouts! First DVD I've come across that on....Grrrr I'm running this on my trusty Pioneer DV-525 that has never coughed on one DVD that other brands seem to have problems with.
LG 60PK540 60" Plasma | Onkyo TX-NR708 7.1 | SVS PB10-NSD | Mirage OS³ CC | Mirage OS³ L/R/LS/RS | Mirage OS² RLS/RRS

#5 of 73 OFFLINE   Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 09:32 AM

Seth, Do the dropouts you found happen all the time with DD, or just in certain scenes? If the latter, does it happen when you switch THX mode off, or does it not matter?
Roger Dressler

#6 of 73 OFFLINE   Seth T

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 09:44 AM

Roger,

It didn't seem to matter if THX was on or not. It was quite the busy weekend, so I didn't get a chance to check on it any more. I will endeavor to do so tonight and report back.

Thanks for the reply! Posted Image

-Seth
LG 60PK540 60" Plasma | Onkyo TX-NR708 7.1 | SVS PB10-NSD | Mirage OS³ CC | Mirage OS³ L/R/LS/RS | Mirage OS² RLS/RRS

#7 of 73 OFFLINE   Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 12:45 PM

Roger I have just tried a third new PH and still audio dropouts, many many audio dropout in DD mode only, DTS is fine. This happens with THX on or off EQ on or off and on certain scenes only they are not random dropouts.
Jerry

#8 of 73 OFFLINE   Seth T

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 06:04 PM

Roger-

Well, it doesn't seem to matter. I jumped from the bombing scene back to the beginning to where they're playing chicken and audio dropouts still exist. DD,THX, Re-EQ on/off...nothing seemed to matter. Switched back to DTS mode and watched various scenes for about 10 minutes without one problem.

I bought mine at Fry's, so it's not just a bad batch at one certain store. And this is with two different models of Onkyo (my 797 is 3 weeks old).

I know the easy fix is to just listen to it in DTS mode, but that's not exactly a "fix".

Thanks for your input...my Dolby Digital sign is still hanging proudly over my entertainment center. Posted Image

-Seth

#9 of 73 OFFLINE   Len Berkoski

Len Berkoski

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted December 13 2001 - 02:49 PM

I just posted the same complaint about my Bad Taste disc. (Dropouts in DD, not in DTS). My concern is I have a brand new Onkyo 898, and you have a 797. I wonder if there's an issue with the Onkyos! (Groan)

http://www.hometheat....threadid=32105

#10 of 73 OFFLINE   Dan M

Dan M

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted December 13 2001 - 03:57 PM

I'm experiencing audio drop outs in DD 5.1 throughout the entire movie.

DTS plays fine

I have a Panasonic RP91 with an Onkyo 989.

I've never experienced this type of problem before with any disc. BummerPosted Image

#11 of 73 OFFLINE   Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted December 13 2001 - 04:59 PM

I am having the same problem with my 989 with the DD soundtrack. No problem with DTS though. I am going to test it on my neighbors system this weekend (he has a Denon AVR 1800 with Panasonic DVD player). i will post what I find out. Dave
Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
www.hometheater.com

#12 of 73 OFFLINE   Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted December 13 2001 - 08:52 PM

I was told By the tech support dept at Onkyo my 898 experienced DD audio dropouts due to a defective DD sound tract on PH, they did not tell me JP3 would also have DD audio dropouts or if I were to put my 787 back online DD in both PH and JP3 would play just fine. If anyone has an idea why new disc's such as PH and JP3 (both of which have DD and DTS) when combined with the 898 have audio dropouts and older disc's like Seven and Gladiator don,t PLEASE let me know. TIA
Jerry

#13 of 73 OFFLINE   Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted December 14 2001 - 05:08 AM

Also for those of you that experienced audio dropouts in the DD sound tract of Pearl Harbor and have Jurassic Park 3 do you find this also true. I have played both disc's on a Onkyo 787 without a problem. It appears Onkyo has a problem with their new higher end receivers and newly recorded DD DVD disc's. Please advise. Thanks
Jerry

#14 of 73 OFFLINE   Howard_S

Howard_S

Supporting Actor

• 554 posts

Posted December 14 2001 - 06:06 AM

Do DVDs frequently need to be exchanged? I always thought it is my first generation DVD player whenever I see a skip.

#15 of 73 OFFLINE   Shawn Fogg

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted December 14 2001 - 06:27 AM

"If anyone has an idea why new disc's such as PH and JP3" Don't know about JP3 but Pearl Harbor's DD track is DD EX flagged... the first DVD to have this. I guessing various decoders are having problems with this. Shawn

#16 of 73 OFFLINE   Len Berkoski

Len Berkoski

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted December 14 2001 - 07:58 AM

Any recommendations as to how to proceed? Should I contact the Onkyo service rep as well, so they see a recurring trend here? Who would be heading up this investigation, DD, Onkyo, or the Disc Producers? If I read this correctly, Onkyo owners appear to have problems with Pearl Harbor, Bad Taste, and Jurassic Park III. Are there any other new titles that might exhibit this behavior? Also, if this does end up requiring some sort of firmware upgrade in the Onkyo 898, I'm curious how I can best obtain service. I bought my receiver from J&R, but would I have to ship it back to them or work with a local service department. I'd hate to be without it for an extended period of time!!! (Yes, I'll go home and read the policies).

#17 of 73 OFFLINE   Andrew P

Andrew P

Second Unit

• 314 posts

Posted December 14 2001 - 08:55 AM

I just bought an Onkyo 898 and JP3. I havent tried the disc yet though. Has Onkyo said anything about this problem? Im not overly concerned though because I always use the DTS soundtrack when one is available, but I would still expect the recevier to play the DD version correctly. Andy

#18 of 73 OFFLINE   RyanDinan

RyanDinan

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted December 14 2001 - 09:23 AM

[quote]

Don't know about JP3 but Pearl Harbor's DD track is DD EX flagged... the first DVD to have this.

[quote]

Shawn,

I don't believe this is true.....It's definately not the first, as Star Wars: Phantom Menace had a DD EX mix. Now that I think about it, Austin Powers 2 also had a DD EX mix. There's probably a bunch more out there...

I've played the DD EX track from Pearl Harbor on my Denon 3802, and didn't have a problem.

It sounds like Onkyo may have trouble with certain discs that have a "unique" DD stream. By unique, I mean that it may not stick to the "standard"..

-Ryan

#19 of 73 OFFLINE   Shawn Fogg

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted December 14 2001 - 09:28 AM

Ryan, "I don't believe this is true.....It's definately not the first, as Star Wars: Phantom Menace had a DD EX mix. Now that I think about it, Austin Powers 2 also had a DD EX mix. There's probably a bunch more out there... " This is true... they had a DD EX mix and there are many others that way. BUT they did not have a flag in the DD data stream identifying that they were EX encoded. Pearl Harbor is the first DVD to have the EX flag identifying it to decoders as being EX encoded. Shawn

#20 of 73 OFFLINE   Dillon Poole

Dillon Poole

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted December 14 2001 - 09:45 AM

[quote]

HOWEVER... The sequence I was watching when I did the audio switch was where the Arizona was sinking, and the guy is screaming that he can't swim... (99:40-100:19) In straight DD -or- EX mode, I am getting audio dropouts! First DVD I've come across that on....Grrrr

[quote]

Sorry, can't help it, I'm a history nut Posted Image (which makes me not like Pearl Harbor, but hey, its a good popcorn film with good sound and scenes). But that was the Oklahoma sinking, not the Arizona, the Arizona simply sunk, the Oklahoma capsized over later in the attack. The first scene where you follow the bomb dropping is the Arizona, where it just explodes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users