Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lionsgate Press Release: Stargate 15th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#1 of 45 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,944 posts

Posted August 03 2009 - 06:56 AM

Stargate: 15th Anniversary Edition
Stargate, the film that spawned three television series, two movies and a galaxy of fans, celebrates its 15th anniversary with a special edition Blu-ray Disc!  The film, written and directed by Roland Emmerich (Independence Day), boasts a critically-acclaimed ensemble cast that includes three-time Emmy® winner James Spader, Emmy® and Golden Globe® nominee Kurt Russell and two-time Academy Award® nominee Djimon Hounsou.  The Stargate: 15th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Disc contains both the theatrical and extended cuts of the film - for the first time on Blu-ray - in newly remastered 1080P High Definition 16 x 9 Widescreen with English 7.1 DTS-MA Audio and four hours of mind-blowing special features including three new featurettes, a never-before-seen gag reel, an interactive trivia track and more!  The Blu-ray will be available on October 27, 2009, timed to coincide with the new television series "Stargate Universe" coming to SyFy this fall! 
Pricing: Blu-ray Disc $29.99

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 45 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,436 posts

Posted August 03 2009 - 11:29 AM

Newly remastered and 7.1.
It's a definite purchase for me.
I'll be glad to buy this. Glad I waited.

all-banner.jpg

#3 of 45 Matt Fig

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted August 03 2009 - 01:36 PM

I will be double dipping for sure. Just bought the Blu Ray for $9.99. Thanks for the heads up.

#4 of 45 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted August 03 2009 - 03:21 PM

I got the single layer first release as a freebie. I don't even own a Blu-ray player yet. This is great news. I was going to cave in and get the Optimum UK release.

#5 of 45 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,551 posts

Posted August 03 2009 - 03:33 PM

Let's hope they get the subtitles right on this release. The first version that I bought didn't have the correct subtitles for the Egyptian and foreign planet dialogue. In order to see them I had to turn on *all* English subs. Then the replacement they sent me has the right Egyptian/foreign planet subtitle track--without the spoken English subs--but sometimes the subtitles don't default to on when I begin to play so I have to manually choose it. Major pain in the a$$.

For that alone I'd consider a re-buy. Better AV quality will definitely convince me to upgrade.

#6 of 45 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted August 03 2009 - 03:34 PM

Oh yeah....this one is definitely mine.  Look forward to it...

Recently watched- Basic Instinct 2, Taken 2, Maverick(1994), After Earth, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo(2009), The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug 3D, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey EE 3D, Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith, Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3

"If this is to end in fire...then we will all burn together."

#7 of 45 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted August 03 2009 - 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina 

Let's hope they get the subtitles right on this release. The first version that I bought didn't have the correct subtitles for the Egyptian and foreign planet dialogue. In order to see them I had to turn on *all* English subs. Then the replacement they sent me has the right Egyptian/foreign planet subtitle track--without the spoken English subs--but sometimes the subtitles don't default to on when I begin to play so I have to manually choose it. Major pain in the a$$.

For that alone I'd consider a re-buy. Better AV quality will definitely convince me to upgrade.
I too hope it's great quality on I'm sure a BD-50 and possibly AVC or VC1 encode keeping the film grain. I guess I could sell off the single layer release I own and still keep my 2-Disc Ultimate Edition. That being typed out, I hope this 15th Anniversary Edition retains everything from the 2-Disc Ultimate Edition DVD along with the new features and has "hard" alien subtitles burnt into the print instead of optional since it was like that in cinemas. I even remember I had the calender and the action figures back in 1994. Hell, I still even have the ticket stubs!
The front cover looks quite nice but my major nitpick is it doesn't keep the films font. Also I keep on wishing the film will get a sequel since the Film and SG-1 Universe are seperate. The SNES game was really great too.
http://www.dvdactive.../stargate2.html

I hope I have a Blu-ray player by the time this is released!/img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif
EDIT: The two movies are sequels to the TV Universe, specifically SG-1. Damn I can't believe it's been 15 years. I still prefer the Director's Cut compared to the Theatrical although I saw it in theatres about 10 times.
Now if I can find the single layer disc, it's the corrected second version, and sell it.

Edited by Ray_R - 8/4/2009 at 05:31 am GMT

#8 of 45 Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted August 04 2009 - 07:46 AM

"Stargate THE MOVIE" ?

Eww.

They just had to stick "the movie" on there....

#9 of 45 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,074 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 04 2009 - 09:25 AM

I'm satisfied with my copy of the first release.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 45 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted August 04 2009 - 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

I'm satisfied with my copy of the first release.
I take it you're also satisfied at not being multi-region capable? The first release is also MPEG2 on a single layer BD. I'm selling mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin 

"Stargate THE MOVIE" ?

Eww.

They just had to stick "the movie" on there....
There're also custom covers. I almost always type it out StarGate. But it's far more applicable to a series such as RoboCop where the former is the correct typing with the "CamelCaps" and Robocop is vastly incorrect. That being said, I'm also waiting for MGM to release a superior version of RoboCop on Blu-ray disc instead of the one out now. Besides the V/A quality, the Steelbook vastly trumps it in terms of extras. Even then I'd prefer a BD-50 of RoboCop.

#11 of 45 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,074 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 04 2009 - 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_R 

I take it you're also satisfied at not being multi-region capable? The first release is also MPEG2 on a single layer BD. I'm selling mine.
Yes. Because 1) I have no need to ever play it on a non-Region A player, and 2) It's not a movie I like enough to double dip on. I'll watch it once every 5 years or so if I'm lucky.

YMMV

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#12 of 45 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted August 04 2009 - 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

Yes. Because 1) I have no need to ever play it on a non-Region A player, and 2) It's not a movie I like enough to double dip on. I'll watch it once every 5 years or so if I'm lucky.

YMMV

I did a big paragraph for mine so it's one of my favourite films. I haven't seen it in awhile just cause I have a huge backlog of blind buys and other random purchases to watch. More multi-region being SDVD. Places I've imported from are Hong Kong, UK and South Korea. Japan has alot of expensive things I'd like to purchase but I'm holding off.
I'll be purchasing a Blu-ray player soon FINALLY and perhaps I should browse the HD Hardware section.
Since Lionsgate is releasing a 15th Anniversary for STARGATE (Yeah I even type-out titles in caps also), perhaps next year will see the 20th Anniversary Edition for TOTAL RECALL? The AUS/UK HDDVD is superior to the US Blu-ray only on the case the HDDVD was encoded either AVC/VC1 and the Blu-ray for MPEG2. Point of this is MPEG2 should only be used on SDVD and the newer codecs for Blu-ray. Also has to do with the encode bitrate and quality of the transfer.
Case in point, my version of Army of Darkness, the Region 3 NTSC MGM release, damn near looks like HD quality since it was derived from a film source and retaining all the lovely film grain. Counterpoint is all the Anchor Bay releases were mastered from tape dupes. Here's to hoping the upcoming Blu-ray is going to be mastered from film elements.

Back on STARGATE, I could've sworn I rented a Widescreen Director's Cut VHS with a holographic cover which had a scene of a couple of the other military guys hijacking one of the Gliders. Am I mis-remembering things? Could be before SG-1 started too./img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif
I prefer the cover for the Optimum UK Blu-ray compared to the 15th Anniversary one. Can barely make out the stars behind the gate. There're always custom covers too.
http://laserdisken.d...092&VIS=forside

Back in my brain I keep hoping there'll be a sequel to this film since The Film and SG-1/etc. are completely different universes. Sure I read the film sequel books and both Kurt Russell and James Spader have been wanting to do a sequel for awhile.
One last thing! "And more" I hope means every single extra for the film made prior to this release including various other tidbits they're adding to this 15th Anniversary ought to be on this disc. Still keeping my Ultimate Edition 2-Disc DVD release anyway. More for companionship/complimenting this release.
Now if I can just find one of my other game controllers to play the STARGATE video game on ZSNES. Should also finish buying the SG-1 seasons, I only have the slim version of Season One so far!/img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif/img/vbsmilies/htf/tongue.gif

#13 of 45 Sulien

Sulien

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted September 06 2009 - 02:18 PM

I'm very much looking forward to the release of the 15th anniversary BluRay, just because of all of the added special features.

As for "Stargate: Universe", you couldn't pay me to watch that dren.  I enjoyed both "Stargate: SG-1" and "Stargate: Atlantis" and have all of the seasons on DVD, but from everything I have seen and read of "Universe", they're jumping the shark with this one before the first episode even airs.

#14 of 45 Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted September 06 2009 - 05:42 PM

As a fan of the film only I don't go near any of these spin-off shows, but that "universe" show's commercials laid out the basic premise perfectly clear to me: 

It's the "Voyager" of the SG-1 TV franchise.

#15 of 45 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted September 06 2009 - 08:28 PM

Quote:

As a fan of the film only I don't go near any of these spin-off shows, but that "universe" show's commercials laid out the basic premise perfectly clear to me: 

To me the film and the spin-off TV shows are their own seperate entities and shouldn't be grouped together. So if Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin made a sequel to the 1994 film it'd be directly based upon the first film since neither of them are involved in either of the TV incarnations. Hell, I even look at it as the canon film universe and the off-shoot semi-canon but canon for itself TV series universe which is SG-1 and its spin-offs. Henceforth and I sound a bit purposefully snooty about this, the DTV sequels to SG-1 are ONLY sequels to the show and not the film of course.
Certainly if Emmerich, Devlin, Russell and Spader all get back together to have two sequels to STARGATE as they intended, it'd be a sequel to the original film of course with zero ties with the SG-1, Atlantis, Universe, et. al TV shows.
I sold off my stand-alone second corrected original release Blu-ray a couple weeks ago. I still don't like the front cover for the 15th Anniversary and I wish they kept the original font they used for the poster-art. That being typed, I do hope a custom cover artist will use the original theatrical poster for artwork for this 15th Anniversary release.
And this "SyFy" schtick? What do they think we are, morons?
Here's to hoping LionsGate won't DNR STARGATE to the edges of the universe and back. Wish there were more details regarding the special features instead of the "and more!" bullshit companies tend to use. Gimme a breakdown of the special features, please, film studios!
Regarding that VHS I watched which was nearly 140+ minutes of the film, it was OAR too.

EDIT: Here're the extra features.
http://dvdtimes.co.u...ry-edition.html

#16 of 45 Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted September 07 2009 - 04:51 AM

Quote:

Heh... You know what? That is exactly what people were saying about Stargate Atlantis when that show first started. I'm not making it up. - people were saying that everywhere. Five years later, I think anyone who's been following the show would agree with me in hindsight that the comparison was absoloutely ridiculous. I have no doubt the same will be true for Stargate Universe. Thing is, people see the trailers, are reminded of whatever show they've seen before that looks the most like it, and have too little imagination to think that it may just be something different from what they already know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulien 

As for "Stargate: Universe", you couldn't pay me to watch that dren.  I enjoyed both "Stargate: SG-1" and "Stargate: Atlantis" and have all of the seasons on DVD, but from everything I have seen and read of "Universe", they're jumping the shark with this one before the first episode even airs.
Now, that's an odd thing to say. As a (very) long time fan of the Stargate franchise, I think Stargate Universe looks very, very promising. You, however, are apparently a fan of both SG-1 and SGA, so much so in fact that you've acquired every season on DVD (that's fifteen box sets!) and yet you've decided not to watch the new show from the same creative team - a month before even a single episode has aired? I mean, one would think you'd at least give it a fair chance, given their track record.

..okay: Call me a stalker, but out of curiousity, I just googled your nick and based on posts you made on other forums, it appears you decided against SGU more than a year ago - when all we'd been told of the show was a brief synopsis. Add to that the fact that you apparently registered here on HTF just to express your hatred of the show makes me think I probably shouldn't bother with trying to reason with you about this, but should you still want to discuss SGU the appropriate thread for it is here.

#17 of 45 Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted September 07 2009 - 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arild 

Heh... You know what? That is exactly what people were saying about Stargate Atlantis when that show first started. I'm not making it up. - people were saying that everywhere. Five years later, I think anyone who's been following the show would agree with me in hindsight that the comparison was absoloutely ridiculous. I have no doubt the same will be true for Stargate Universe. Thing is, people see the trailers, are reminded of whatever show they've seen before that looks the most like it, and have too little imagination to think that it may just be something different from what they already know.

I don't care either way, since I'm not going to watch it. The commercials all say something like '70 million light years from home' and two different groups having to work together to survive and so on which was just what Voyager's premise was, only with that it was 70 thousand light years. That says nothing about whether they are good or bad. Let me put it this way: being a film music nut, particularly that of a certain composer's work that has been scrutinized endlessly for its familiarities and re-uses, I have absolutely NO problem with familiar concepts whatsoever. (anyone who knows me here knows who I'm referring to so I'll say no more about that. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_R 

To me the film and the spin-off TV shows are their own seperate entities and shouldn't be grouped together. So if Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin made a sequel to the 1994 film it'd be directly based upon the first film since neither of them are involved in either of the TV incarnations. Hell, I even look at it as the canon film universe and the off-shoot semi-canon but canon for itself TV series universe which is SG-1 and its spin-offs. Henceforth and I sound a bit purposefully snooty about this, the DTV sequels to SG-1 are ONLY sequels to the show and not the film of course.
Certainly if Emmerich, Devlin, Russell and Spader all get back together to have two sequels to STARGATE as they intended, it'd be a sequel to the original film of course with zero ties with the SG-1, Atlantis, Universe, et. al TV shows.
You know, I feel the same way about that and it was (as silly as it may sound) my loyalty to Devlin and Emmerich that held me back from watching SG-1, other than to sample it when it first started. It just wasn't for me.

Now, Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich don't even work together anymore, with Emmerich continuing the disaster movie trend and Devlin moving forward with TV projects like "Leverage", which I can't see here in Canada. They made fun popcorn movies together, and regardless of their film's flaws (of course Godzilla has many) I just plain like those guys and their intentions were honest and clear with the films they made. Independence Day is, was and always will be a massive favorite film of mine - both of the films they made and all together...and I love the A / V presentation of it on Blu-ray.

#18 of 45 Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted September 07 2009 - 11:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:I don't care either way, since I'm not going to watch it.
Which is fair enough, of course. I only said it because it seems to be a common opinion that SGU will be a crappy retread of Voyager, and I don't believe that to be the case at all. :)

#19 of 45 Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted September 07 2009 - 11:25 AM

That's not possible, because if anything it would likely be an improvement on Voyager's concept!

#20 of 45 Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted September 07 2009 - 11:49 AM

Heh. Not a Voyager fan, eh? /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

On a more on-topic note, I will probably get this disc... if it's not region coded. Are Lionsgate BD titles generally region free, anyone know? IIRC, the last release was, but I never did get that one.