What's new

Highway to Heaven (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Since its been nearly three and a half years since season 3 was released, I pretty much already know the answer to the question I'm about to ask.

But has anyone heard any rumors of season 4 and 5 being released?

Season 4 was released in France last month, and I've read that its likely going to see an Australian and German release. Is the United States and Canada going to miss out on seeing this fine series reach its conclusion on DVD?

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Last info I had was that A & E gave up on the title & the Michael Landon estate was trying to get another company to release the remaining seasons. Doesn't seem likely though. It's also no surprise the series didn't do well for A & E since they charge excessively high prices per season, with big bulky sets that take up too much shelf space and all contain EDITED episodes! Too bad a decent company didn't release it from the get go. Probably would have sold much better.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
It's a pity A&E have a number of titles in limbo, I have a suspicion it's NOT because of any poor sales, they just simply abandon and give up the ghost on their releases. Some after one season, like the British anthology show Thriller, though extras for later seasons were filmed. Only they know the reasons, but they do appear to lose interest way too soon.
Edited by HenryDuBrow - 8/2/2009 at 03:25 pm GMT

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Touched by an Angel is another series thats "Stalled" There are Five Seasons left to go on that one.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TV_Fan /forum/thread/291063/highway-to-heaven#post_3591171
Last info I had was that A & E gave up on the title & the Michael Landon estate was trying to get another company to release the remaining seasons. Doesn't seem likely though. It's also no surprise the series didn't do well for A & E since they charge excessively high prices per season, with big bulky sets that take up too much shelf space and all contain EDITED episodes! Too bad a decent company didn't release it from the get go. Probably would have sold much better.
I was very upset with heavily edited 45 minute episodes(each episode is missing nearly 5 minutes of footage) on all three seasons. I still bought them all. It's a great show. A&E has given up on it. Even though I'm trying to distance myself from buying foreign releases, I may pick up the French release of season 4.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Originally Posted by Bryan^H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was very upset with heavily edited 45 minute episodes(each episode is missing nearly 5 minutes of footage) on all three seasons. I still bought them all. It's a great show. A&E has given up on it. Even though I'm trying to distance myself from buying foreign releases, I may pick up the French release of season 4.
I was upset by the edits too, especially since some scenes shown in the episode previews at the beginning aren't even in the episode. I have the first two seasons. I bought them used off ebay since I refuse to spend the $70 + retail they were asking. If I find a good deal on season 3 I'll buy that too. And yes, according to what I heard, poor sales were A & E's reasons for discontinuing the series.
Isn't season 4 the one with the teenage werewolf spoof episode? I would so love to see that again.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i like this show, but, i remember looking at it few years ago and they wanted to much money for the show. So, i held off and look at other shows.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Amazon UK have a DVD pre-order listing on their website for the first season of Highway to Heaven, with a release date of Monday 4th June (being released by Revelation Films).

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I don't have anything to add about that release, but I love this show. It's one of my favorites from this decade.
The episode with Eddie Albert as a senator about to become a grandfather is my favorite of the series. Those last few minutes always make me cry when I watch it.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I wish all seasons were released in America completely uncut. Don't believe any fairytale BS you may hear that the originals are gone forever. They do exist. Genesis Entertainment was just too lazy to use them.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
vnisanian2001 said:
I wish all seasons were released in America completely uncut. Don't believe any fairytale BS you may hear that the originals are gone forever. They do exist. Genesis Entertainment was just too lazy to use them.
Of course the uncut original exist safe in sound, they just went and used the edited-for-syndication masters to save money of the cost to retransfer the series - not a matter of being lazy, but being cheap!

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
The original audio and visual elements for the show reside in a vault set up by Michael Landon.
Apparently, Michael and his producer Kent McCray transferred all of said original audio and visual elements to betacam, and then make an edited-for-syndication set from what they initially made. So apparently, pre-existing transfers of the uncut versions DO exist! But it seems Genesis Entertainment only had the rights to edited ones.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
vnisanian2001 said:
The original audio and visual elements for the show reside in a vault set up by Michael Landon.
Apparently, Michael and his producer Kent McCray transferred all of said original audio and visual elements to betacam, and then make an edited-for-syndication set from what they initially made. So apparently, pre-existing transfers of the uncut versions DO exist! But it seems Genesis Entertainment only had the rights to edited ones.
I don't think it's a matter of "Rights" , It's a matter of what elements were accessible now, off the shelf. Those Betacam elements might still exist (After 20+ years) but not have been accessible. Same with those "Little House on the Prairie" releases. which were edited.
I'm most cases, these 3rd party licensors take what is available, not what is complete.
The only case know where someone was holding out the unedited episodes is with the Network versions of MAMA'S FAMILY - and regardless of what you read or hear, it's seems apparent that's more an issue over the physical elements than content. What Studio in their right mind only licences one version of a show - syndication edits - and not the network length? Sounds like a cover-up to me. for not having the elements,and the producer holding out for more money.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
DeWilson said:
I don't think it's a matter of "Rights" , It's a matter of what elements were accessible now, off the shelf. Those Betacam elements might still exist (After 20+ years) but not have been accessible. Same with those "Little House on the Prairie" releases. which were edited.
I'm most cases, these 3rd party licensors take what is available, not what is complete.
The only case know where someone was holding out the unedited episodes is with the Network versions of MAMA'S FAMILY - and regardless of what you read or hear, it's seems apparent that's more an issue over the physical elements than content. What Studio in their right mind only licences one version of a show - syndication edits - and not the network length? Sounds like a cover-up to me. for not having the elements,and the producer holding out for more money.
I love highway to heaven as there were lessons to learned. I would love to see this show completed on dvd. However, i am not holding my breath like many shows it may never be completed.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Updated post #11 with revised UK release date for the first season of Highway to Heaven, and the third season has a release date of Monday 5th November (source: Amazon UK).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Referring to post #18 of this thread - emailed Revelation Films a fortnight ago about whether all 24 episodes in their DVD release of Highway to Heaven's first season are uncut:

Will all 24 episodes (including the feature length pilot episode) in the Highway to Heaven: Season one DVD set from Revelation Films be uncut?

and their reply this week:

I can confirm that all episodes of Highway to Heaven are uncut.
Thank you for your interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks