-

Photo

Severin Press Release: Screwballs (DVD/Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,587 posts

Posted July 29 2009 - 08:58 PM

SEVERIN TO RELEASE ULTIMATE ‘80s

TEEN SEX COMEDY ‘SCREWBALLS’ ON 8/25

Fully Restored On DVD & Blu-Ray For First Time Ever;

“Makes PORKY’S Look Like Proust” Says DVD Talk

http://docs.google.com/File?id=dh32vp3_89g6fhtzfg_b

LOS ANGELES, CA, July 17th, 2009 – Severin Films today announced the 8/25 release of the infamous ‘T&A’ classicSCREWBALLS on DVD and Blu-ray for the first time ever in America. This long unreleased, totally unhinged and generally unclothed ‘Canucksploitation’ masterwork has languished in a snowbound Alberta vault for decades. Following the Severin Legal Team's rescue of the film’s original 16mm inter-negative from a black widow's web of legal entanglements, Severin’s Archive Commandos immediately rushed the film to its state-of-the-art facility for high definition transfer and restoration.

SCREWBALLS remains perhaps the most relentlessly raunchy teen comedy of the ‘80s, the saga of Taft & Adams High – including campus virgin Purity Busch, chronic masturbator Melvin Jerkovski and blonde bombshell Bootsie Goodhead – and its incomparable curriculum of freshman breast exams, bikini cheerleader practice and inappropriate uses for bowling ball holes. Russ Meyer goddess Raven DeLaCroix (UP!) co-stars in this notorious drive-in classic originally released by Roger Cormanthat Mr. Skin hails as “the essential four-star epic of horny high school kids.” Severin’s disc will feature an all-new audio commentary and in-depth featurette documentary with the film’s cast and crew.

When you've got your hands on the Citizen Kane of high school sex cinema, you don't (fool) around" says Severin co-founder David Gregory. "Every day, I get pelted with phone calls asking, 'When is it coming out?' Hey, we don't want to waste a day bringing SCREWBALLS to your DVD and Blu-ray players. But first, we must provide our customary cavalcade of morally casual extras. The cultural importance of this particular title demands nothing less than Severin's absolute best." Added Severin co-founder/CEO Carl Daft, "In my career, I've only personally dealt with two or three motion pictures that deserve the banner of 'masterpiece'." SCREWBALLS is most certainly one of those films. The first time I saw Purity Busch's jubblies unveiled in crystalline high definition transfer, I felt as if my entire adult life had been leading me to that specific moment."

Severin Films was formed in 2006 with offices in Los Angeles and London. Their previous releases include THE SINFUL DWARF, recent Goya Award winner Jess Franco’s MACUMBA SEXUAL and BLOODY MOONWalerian Borowczyk’s IMMORAL WOMEN, the unrated Director’s Cut of GWENDOLINE starring Tawny Kitaen, Oscar® nominee Patrice Leconte’sinternational hits THE HAIRDRESSER’S HUSBAND and THE PERFUME OF YVONNE, and Enzo Castellari’s original action classic INGLORIOUS BASTARDS.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 8 Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,992 posts

Posted July 30 2009 - 03:23 PM

Holy cow - we boys of the 80's are finally getting this and HARDBODIES and SPRING BREAK all in a row. Now if we could only get UP THE CREEK and GOIN' ALL THE WAY... 

/img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

#3 of 8 Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted July 31 2009 - 07:31 AM

I saw this over 20 years ago, I'm going to have to pick this one up!  Great 80's teenage sex comedy.
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#4 of 8 Joe:C

Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted July 31 2009 - 10:42 AM

Fantastic News!!

#5 of 8 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,002 posts

Posted August 14 2009 - 10:54 PM

Didn't know this was shot on 16mm- the picture on my old VHS is pretty crappy but it looks cropped, and the end credits (which come on while the final scene is still going) look squeezed.  This movie actually takes place in the 60s.

Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#6 of 8 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,957 posts

Posted August 15 2009 - 08:54 AM

I wonder how it will look on blu-ray - we are talking a film shot in 16mm! :)

#7 of 8 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,791 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 15 2009 - 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWilson View Post

I wonder how it will look on blu-ray - we are talking a film shot in 16mm! :)

For what it's worth, the Blu-ray of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre looks pretty good and that's 16mm. Admittedly, there was probably a lot more money spent on TCM then will be spent on Screwballs though.

#8 of 8 Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted August 24 2009 - 01:44 PM

Anybody see any reviews?I was hoping DVD Talk would have had a review posted,by now,but they don't.