What's new

HTF DVD Review: LIFE ON MARS, SERIES 1 (U.K.) (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I have it coming from Netflix as BBC stuff is just way too expensive for 8 episodes, I look forward to comparing it with the American version , which I liked and felt it deserved a second season.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I caved and bought the R2 releases before this was announced (not really a problem cuz they were a helluva lot cheaper). My only disappointment was that the R2 set featured some music replacement in a few episodes. Most notably in episode 4, "Wild Horses" by The Rolling Stones was featured in...
...an emotional scene where the cops discover a body.
The song was replaced by "I Can't Change It" by Frankie Miller, which isn't bad, just not as impactful.

I was wondering if the song had been reinstated for this release. I should receive the disc from Netflix to confirm for myself later today.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Reminds me of a joke a UK friend told me when he heard about the US remake.

"An American cop from 2008 travels back in time to 1973... and finds out nothing's changed."

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Ray H

I caved and bought the R2 releases before this was announced (not really a problem cuz they were a helluva lot cheaper). My only disappointment was that the R2 set featured some music replacement in a few episodes. Most notably in episode 4, "Wild Horses" by The Rolling Stones was featured in...
The song was replaced by "I Can't Change It" by Frankie Miller, which isn't bad, just not as impactful.

I was wondering if the song had been reinstated for this release. I should receive the disc from Netflix to confirm for myself later today.
I know the scene you mean. "Wild Horses" isn't there. I suspect that this edition tracks the R2 set in every respect.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Aaargggh. Music replacements! And I've been waiting and just ordered this through the Deep Discount sale. And 'Wild Horses' is a great song. Sigh. And, for once, I've heard the American version WILL NOT have any music replacements and it was all cleared. There's a switch.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic ">[/url]

Aaargggh. Music replacements! And I've been waiting and just ordered this through the Deep Discount sale. And 'Wild Horses' is a great song. Sigh. And, for once, I've heard the American version WILL NOT have any music replacements and it was all cleared. There's a switch.[/QUOTE]If no one had told you, you wouldn't know the difference. "I Can't Change It" works beautifully in context; in some ways, the lyrics are better suited, but I can't say why without spoilers. John Simm even says something on the commentary track about how much he likes the music for the scene. Trust me: you'll be riveted by what's going on among the characters at that moment.

Just to be clear: I'm not defending music replacements, just stressing that this one doesn't create an obvious tear in the fabric of the show. (And yes, I have seen the version with "Wild Horses". I'd actually forgotten about it until Ray's post reminded me.)

Now, if they'd replaced the Bowie music, that would be different.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Watched the First two eps, I still like the American version, but have to admit the UK Version bests it in every way. Especially Glensters Turn as Hunt. Harvey Keitel was cast for his star Power but having seen the american Pilot the original casting of Colm Meaney would've suited the show better. Can't wait to see the rest, but I guess it'll be awhile till Ashes to Ashes is available here.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Cees, thank for confirming that the U.K. Blu-ray isn't region-locked. I wasn't able to determine that from the Amazon.uk listing. I'll amend the review accordingly.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

Cees, thank for confirming that the U.K. Blu-ray isn't region-locked. I wasn't able to determine that from the Amazon.uk listing. I'll amend the review accordingly.
Just to be clear, if I order the UK BD of the Series 2 on Blu-ray, it will play in my (region 1?)Panasonic Blu-ray player? This greatly interests me, since I just ordered the first series set domestically on regular DVD. But, also, since the show was shot in 16mm, I'm not expecting much from the BD, but the price is definitely right (that's about $17USD, right?).

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray player (from 2007, but firmware updated to version 2.9)

Edited by Hollywoodaholic - 7/29/2009 at 02:27 pm GMT
Edited by Hollywoodaholic - 7/29/2009 at 02:34 pm GMT

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The BDs aren't region locked, but the extras are PAL so they may not work on your players. There's also some speculation that the show was actually completed at SD resolution at 25 fps and scaled to 1080p and slowed down to 23.976 for the Blu-ray.

I ended up just getting the PAL DVDs. Still not sure if that was the wisest choice, but I did it so I could reinstate some of the original music selections for my own use.

Back on the music replacement, the new choices are actually very well done as opposed to most cases of music replacement. Songs by the Blue Oyster Cult, Lou Reed, Deep Purple, and the Rolling Stones are replaced by songs from other '70s bands and artists. But the show surprisingly still managed to keep some huge hits from David Bowie, The Who, Wings, and Led Zeppelin.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic

Just to be clear, if I order the UK BD of the Series 2 on Blu-ray, it will play in my (region 1?)Panasonic Blu-ray player?
Wayne,

Yes it will.
Your player is region A, but the BD is all regions: ABC.

As Ray pointed out, the extra's may be DVD formatted, in which case they could be PAL. I haven't tried playing anything from the Extras choice, so I cannot confirm that now, but I'll check it out tomorrow and report back here.

Cees

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Thanks Ray and Cees. I went ahead and ordered the UK blu-ray of Life On Mars Series 2 (my DD order for SD Season 1 had already shipped), plus threw in an order for Almost Famous blu-ray for total $38USD (including shipping). Sweet deal. I really had no idea that about 67% of Blu-rays are region-free. Another great advantage.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
(Owning a US DMP-BD50, I cannot play Region-B locked BDs myself!

Just incidently ordered one from Amazon/UK (Wallstreet). I will only be able to play it after I acquire a European Blu-ray player.)

I promised to come back with the facts about the extras on Life on Mars.

Here's the bad part: my player wouldn't send a video signal over HDMI. So that probably makes it something it doesn't support (like 50 fps or so, or 570i). Haven't tried other video outputs yet, but I guess it won't play either.

The (slightly) better news is: it did play, and audio is intact. The "extras" on disc 1 are actually one extra, split in two (or perhaps this is a bit of bad news, because it seems less than what Michael reported in his review), and I got the impression that I got a lot already by listening to it even without the images.

The other good news is: I've seen 4 episodes now (extremely nice picture) without any problem, and we're very impressed. (This isn't pluralis majestatis: I'm speaking of my wife and me.)

I don't need to add anything to what Michael wrote already. Just say: top entertainment indeed.

Cees
Edited by Cees Alons - 7/30/2009 at 10:22 pm GMT

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
Originally Posted by Ray H

There's also some speculation that the show was actually completed at SD resolution at 25 fps and scaled to 1080p and slowed down to 23.976 for the Blu-ray.
Not speculation; fact. Life on Mars in the UK was never in HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks