What's new

THE SIMPSONS SEASON 12: Any Indication on the Type of Packaging? (1 Viewer)

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
THE SIMPSONS SEASON 12 will be released on DVD August 18, 2009. To this point, does anyone have any details of the TYPE OF PACKAGING it will employ? And will it (hopefully!) be improved over that for Season 11, which was IMHO the WORST DVD packaging I’ve ever seen from a major studio!

I opted for the “standard” packaging, as I’ve always done since the “head” packaging began. When I opened it… I COULDN’T FIND THE DISCS!!! There was folded illustrated cardboard, with no discs on either side. For a moment, I was truly dumbfounded. Then I realized that the discs lie loose WITHIN pockets of the folded cardboard… and are NOT SECURED by anything. Not only is this damaging to the Discs (Disc Three already had a noticeable imperfection causing me to return it for an exchange), but these are the MOST DIFFICULT DISCS TO ACCESS of any set I’ve purchased since the early days of 2004! Even the return clerk at Best Buy was flummoxed when opening the package to try to find the discs inside! Can you believe it? Nothing designed for pleasure should require this much needless effort to remove from its packaging! How does a major studio like FOX approve such a thing!

Oh, wait… I get the joke! They used “Krusty Brand” packaging! Never mind!

But, seriously... are they going to repeat the same mistake?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They listened when everyone had a freak out over the head packaging on S6 so I think/hope that they'll listen this time too. Especially since S11's packagaing actually had a real problem beyond DVD collector OCD.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
It is now less than one week until the release of THE SIMPSONS SEASON 12. At this time, have any details come out as to TYPE OF PACKAGING that will be used?

Don’t mean to repeat myself, but will it be different from the disaster that was Season 11?

By now, maybe some review copies have been circulated – or advance stock has arrived at retailers – and maybe someone knows something!

Daniel-M

Second Unit
A was in a store two days ago where they had the outer packaging on the shelf and it's as thin as season 11 was, so sadly i think they are still not using plastic trays. We can only hope it's more like the Futurama-movies this time

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'm thinking they might go the route of some of their recent releases, Family Guy S7, 24 S7, and the recent X-Files re-releases. The amaray case with flip disc-holders covered by a slipcase. You can't tell me they'd make the same mistake again given the feedback from S11's shoddy packaging.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by toylegiondotcom ">[/url]

As far as I know its just like the season 11 release
[/QUOTE][size=5][b]D'OH!
[/b][/SIZE]
[QUOTE]Originally Posted by [b]Andrew Radke[/b] [url=/forum/thread/290908/the-simpsons-season-12-any-indication-on-the-type-of-packaging#post_3595636]

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping they'll eventually release the first 10 seasons in a (non idiotic toy packaging style) collector's set; one big rectangular box with the first 10 seasons.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
It's now the "night before"...

By now, someone MUST be holding a copy!

So, what's the verdict? Like Season 11? Or an improvement?

Miles

Second Unit
I've bought every other season so far.... if this one's the same crappy packaging as the last one, then I won't buy.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The 24-hour Wal-Marts will have them out after midnight (which it is already on the East coast)- If I'm not too tired after work I might go pick one up (assuming they haven't put one of their pricetags on it, since each one's been packaged with no shrinkwrap since the head packs started.)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR

That sucks but I guess after the fan outrage over the head packagaing, they look at the fans as the boys whined wolf and have stopped listening to them.
I admit that I only paid attention part of the time, but wasn't most of the outrage directed at the last of the head packages (the Krusty head)? As I recall, that was the one where it was nearly impossible either to remove the discs or to reinsert them. (I never saw one open, having been scared off by the reports of others.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

I admit that I only paid attention part of the time, but wasn't most of the outrage directed at the last of the head packages (the Krusty head)? As I recall, that was the one where it was nearly impossible either to remove the discs or to reinsert them. (I never saw one open, having been scared off by the reports of others.)

Remember the head packaging on S6 to 10? It featured Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie. When S6 came out and fans were mad that they changed the packagaing from the first five seasons and said that it was cheap and would fall apart, etc. and Fox listened to them and had a mail-in offer for a S1-5 style package for your S6 set and if they went to that expense, it means that they were listening to fan concern. Also, S7-10 were offered in both the head packagaing and the old style packaging. While the heads were hardly perfect, they're miles better than this new packagaing style on S11 and S12.

For what it's worth, these discs are slightly easier to get out of the packagaing in the S12 since there's a small lip cut out of the sleeve.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Thanks for the explanation, Travis.

On season 11, which was worse, the "regular" packaging or the Krusty head? I'm just about to pick up season 11.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

Thanks for the explanation, Travis.

On season 11, which was worse, the "regular" packaging or the Krusty head? I'm just about to pick up season 11.
To the best of my knowledge, the interior packaging is exactly the same. The only difference is that one has the Krusty head glued to the front of it and one doesn't. I've even heard that if you pull off the Krusty head, it has the same image as the non-head packaging.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by TravisR

To the best of my knowledge, the interior packaging is exactly the same. The only difference is that one has the Krusty head glued to the front of it and one doesn't. I've even heard that if you pull off the Krusty head, it has the same image as the non-head packaging.
Sounds like, either way, your best bet is to get the discs out and put 'em in new cases! Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks