-

Photo
- - - - -

THE SIMPSONS SEASON 12: Any Indication on the Type of Packaging?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#1 of 47 OFFLINE   Joe Tor1

Joe Tor1

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted July 26 2009 - 01:06 PM

THE SIMPSONS SEASON 12 will be released on DVD August 18, 2009. 

To this point, does anyone have any details of the TYPE OF PACKAGING it will employ?  And will it (hopefully!) be improved over that for Season 11, which was IMHO the WORST DVD packaging I’ve ever seen from a major studio! 

I opted for the “standard” packaging, as I’ve always done since the “head” packaging began.  When I opened it… I COULDN’T FIND THE DISCS!!! 

There was folded illustrated cardboard, with no discs on either side.  For a moment, I was truly dumbfounded.  Then I realized that the discs lie loose WITHIN pockets of the folded cardboard… and are NOT SECURED by anything. 

Not only is this damaging to the Discs (Disc Three already had a noticeable imperfection causing me to return it for an exchange), but these are the MOST DIFFICULT DISCS TO ACCESS of any set I’ve purchased since the early days of 2004!  Even the return clerk at Best Buy was flummoxed when opening the package to try to find the discs inside!  Can you believe it?

Nothing designed for pleasure should require this much needless effort to remove from its packaging!  How does a major studio like FOX approve such a thing! 

Oh, wait… I get the joke!  They used “Krusty Brand” packaging!  Never mind! 

But, seriously... are they going to repeat the same mistake? 

#2 of 47 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,054 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 26 2009 - 02:17 PM

They listened when everyone had a freak out over the head packaging on S6 so I think/hope that they'll listen this time too. Especially since S11's packagaing actually had a real problem beyond DVD collector OCD.

#3 of 47 OFFLINE   Joe Tor1

Joe Tor1

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted August 12 2009 - 01:00 PM

It is now less than one week until the release of THE SIMPSONS SEASON 12. At this time, have any details come out as to TYPE OF PACKAGING that will be used? 

Don’t mean to repeat myself, but will it be different from the disaster that was Season 11?

By now, maybe some review copies have been circulated – or advance stock has arrived at retailers – and maybe someone knows something! 

#4 of 47 OFFLINE   Daniel-M

Daniel-M

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted August 12 2009 - 08:11 PM

A was in a store two days ago where they had the outer packaging on the shelf and it's as thin as season 11 was, so sadly i think they are still not using plastic trays. We can only hope  it's more like the Futurama-movies this time

#5 of 47 OFFLINE   toylegiondotcom

toylegiondotcom

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted August 13 2009 - 12:11 AM

As far as I know its just like the season 11 release

Posted Image

#6 of 47 OFFLINE   Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted August 13 2009 - 06:21 AM

I'm thinking they might go the route of some of their recent releases, Family Guy S7, 24 S7, and the recent X-Files re-releases.  The amaray case with flip disc-holders covered by a slipcase.  You can't tell me they'd make the same mistake again given the feedback from S11's shoddy packaging.

My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#7 of 47 OFFLINE   Joe Tor1

Joe Tor1

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted August 13 2009 - 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toylegiondotcom ">

As far as I know its just like the season 11 release

D'OH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Radke WOO-HOO! 

Either way, we'll soon see!  ...Unfortunately, I'm betting on "D'oh!"

#8 of 47 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 14 2009 - 09:50 AM

I'm hoping they'll eventually release the first 10 seasons in a (non idiotic toy packaging style) collector's set; one big rectangular box with the first 10 seasons.

#9 of 47 OFFLINE   Joe Tor1

Joe Tor1

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted August 17 2009 - 09:45 AM

It's now the "night before"...

By now, someone MUST be holding a copy! 

So, what's the verdict?  Like Season 11?  Or an improvement? 

#10 of 47 OFFLINE   Miles

Miles

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted August 17 2009 - 10:37 AM

I've bought every other season so far....   if this one's the same crappy packaging as the last one, then I won't buy.

#11 of 47 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,023 posts

Posted August 17 2009 - 05:05 PM

The 24-hour Wal-Marts will have them out after midnight (which it is already on the East coast)- If I'm not too tired after work I might go pick one up (assuming they haven't put one of their pricetags on it, since each one's been packaged with no shrinkwrap since the head packs started.)

Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#12 of 47 OFFLINE   Eric James

Eric James

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted August 17 2009 - 05:52 PM

The packaging is the same as last season.

I'll tell you when I've had enough!!!

#13 of 47 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,023 posts

Posted August 17 2009 - 07:16 PM

Well, nice to know they listened.

Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#14 of 47 OFFLINE   Miles

Miles

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 02:16 AM

Too bad for Fox... I've enjoyed the Simpsons over the years....  no sale...

#15 of 47 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,054 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 02:49 AM

That sucks but I guess after the fan outrage over the head packagaing, they look at the fans as the boys whined wolf and have stopped listening to them.

#16 of 47 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR View Post

That sucks but I guess after the fan outrage over the head packagaing, they look at the fans as the boys whined wolf and have stopped listening to them.
I admit that I only paid attention part of the time, but wasn't most of the outrage directed at the last of the head packages (the Krusty head)? As I recall, that was the one where it was nearly impossible either to remove the discs or to reinsert them. (I never saw one open, having been scared off by the reports of others.)

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#17 of 47 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,054 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben View Post

I admit that I only paid attention part of the time, but wasn't most of the outrage directed at the last of the head packages (the Krusty head)? As I recall, that was the one where it was nearly impossible either to remove the discs or to reinsert them. (I never saw one open, having been scared off by the reports of others.)

Remember the head packaging on S6 to 10? It featured Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie. When S6 came out and fans were mad that they changed the packagaing from the first five seasons and said that it was cheap and would fall apart, etc. and Fox listened to them and had a mail-in offer for a S1-5 style package for your S6 set and if they went to that expense, it means that they were listening to fan concern. Also, S7-10 were offered in both the head packagaing and the old style packaging. While the heads were hardly perfect, they're miles better than this new packagaing style on S11 and S12.

For what it's worth, these discs are slightly easier to get out of the packagaing in the S12 since there's a small lip cut out of the sleeve.

#18 of 47 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 03:15 AM

Thanks for the explanation, Travis.

On season 11, which was worse, the "regular" packaging or the Krusty head? I'm just about to pick up season 11.

#19 of 47 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,054 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben View Post

Thanks for the explanation, Travis.

On season 11, which was worse, the "regular" packaging or the Krusty head? I'm just about to pick up season 11.
To the best of my knowledge, the interior packaging is exactly the same. The only difference is that one has the Krusty head glued to the front of it and one doesn't. I've even heard that if you pull off the Krusty head, it has the same image as the non-head packaging.

#20 of 47 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR View Post

To the best of my knowledge, the interior packaging is exactly the same. The only difference is that one has the Krusty head glued to the front of it and one doesn't. I've even heard that if you pull off the Krusty head, it has the same image as the non-head packaging.
Sounds like, either way, your best bet is to get the discs out and put 'em in new cases! Thanks again.