What's new

NARNIA to be brought to the big screen (1 Viewer)

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
Good news, although with the monies they are spending I worry that the Narnia series might not be profitable enough to see all the books make it onto film. Although I find their limited merchandising strategy admirable, it may affect their overall margins as merchandising, for children's movies, has become a major part of the financial equation. Also, I hope that they retain the subtlety of Lewis' works. Although clearly religious allegories, in most cases, there was sufficient vagueness that you weren't really beat over the head with it until the last book. I do hope it is successful enough to see two of my favorites in the series ("The Horse and his Boy" and "The Magician's Nephew") adapted. Thanks for the update.

Kenneth

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the BBC did an adaptation of the first 3 books.. back in the late 90s early 80s. I have the silver chair. they did pretty good job with the special effects...

JACOB

JohnE

Supporting Actor
WooHoo, great news. I'm hoping the LOTR will bring a renaissance to the fantasy genre. Taking on C.S. Lewis Narnia series is definately a step in the right direction.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Oh man, I haven't read these books in almost 15 years! But I seem to remember seeing film adaptations of these on TV recently, probably those mentioned by Jacob.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Cool news. The BBC Versions are pretty good... although I haven't watched them for a long long time. I have the 3 on tape somewhere.

There was also an animated version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (which was titled The Lion and the White Witch) which I thought was pretty good when I was younger. It was what introduced me to the series.

Would be interesting to see what comes of this. I'd love to see at least a few of the books made into new movies.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hmmm... I've read the series about four times in the past 20 years, and I am a big C. S. Lewis fan. And I am uncertain how a movie adaptation of these books would work.

But, if LOTR survives the movie-transition, then I will believe that Narnia can too.

Sarah S

Second Unit
What bothers me the most is the pharse about "new Narnia books." I don't really think any new books in the series are needed.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Whoah...on Saturday after seeing the AWESOME Harry Potter And the Sorceror's Stone I was wondering "What if the Chronicles of Narnia were to be translated to film like Harry Potter?" This post answered my question. Damn, it's been a LONG time since I read those books! Perhaps I should read them again.
Does anyone know if "A Wrinkle In Time" is going to be made into a movie? :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'd love to see a big screen adaptation (it would be the first) of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe to finally be made.

The CTW animated version was pretty good (simplistic animation, but the best musical score I've ever heard in an animated film.)

The BBC miniseries was OK, but it was just a little bit cheesy due to it being shot on video and a few other things.

Without a doubt, this movie will be fantastic since Lewis's estate is backing the project...and no major studios are going to commercialize the film.

It looks like I might actually buy a movie ticket in the near future!

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
Wow.. This is great news! Just the other day I was thinking of re-reading this series...
Does anyone know if "A Wrinkle In Time" is going to be made into a movie?
As a matter of fact, it is. I think it's going to be a 'made for TV' but it looks very good... Now if I could only remember where I saw the preview for it!
I know! It was on the Spy Kids DVD!
It will be a miniseries on ABC next year:
http://writenews.com/2001/042701_a_wrinkle_in_time.htm
Neil

Craig P

Stunt Coordinator
the BBC did an adaptation of the first 3 books.. back in the late 90s early 80s. I have the silver chair. they did pretty good job with the special effects...
Isn't The Silver Chair book 4, though? #1 being The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, forget the title of #2, and #3 being The Voyage of the Dawn Treader?

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
The BBC adaptations squeezed 4 books into 3 productions. I believe the second one was "Prince Caspian and The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader".

-Tom

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
It's about time! I was really worried that Disney would have bought the rights to the books and turned the stories into animation ala Hunchback.

Slightly off topic, I just saw the Lion King on stage last night and was truly disappointed. Sure the art direction was amazing, but take away the visual effects and you're left with just same screenplay from the movie. The screenplay worked for the movie, but it doesn't translate well on stage.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I dunno... I rather liked the BBC adaptations. I think the low budget required a subtlety that suited the books well. And in my opinion, the centaurs in that series were much better done than the centaur in Harry Potter. Sometimes less is more. Let's hope they don't go over the top.
As a matter of fact, it is. I think it's going to be a 'made for TV' but it looks very good... Now if I could only remember where I saw the preview for it!
I know! It was on the Spy Kids DVD!
I saw the preview on the Spy Kids DVD too, and was impressed. However, they seemed to have hired these two actresses (and I can't think of any role that would fit them in the book) which seem to be featured over-prominently. Still, I'm hopeful.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
This is just too weird. Just the other day I was wondering if the Narnia books would ever make it the theaters. Well...here's to hoping!

Paul P

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Series order:

(released):

Lion, Witch, Wardrobe

Prince Caspian

Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Silver Chair

Horse and his Boy

Magician's Nephew

Last Battle

Chronological Order:

Magician's Nephew

Lion, Witch, Wardrobe

Horse and his Boy

Prince Caspian

Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Silver Chair

Last Battle

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Pardon if this has been raised elsewhere, but a reference to this appeared in Salon, noting that the WETA workshop (as behind LOTR) and many of the same crew in New Zealand are now working on pre-production of "The Chronicles of Narnia" for a movie series:
The long-overdue arrival of a proper film adaptation of "The Lord of the Rings," courtesy of Peter Jackson, gives this story a fitting coda. A film version of the first of the Narnia books, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," will soon go into production in New Zealand. The enterprise was finally able to go forward because of the huge success of Jackson's "Lord of the Rings," and will use some of the same production and design people, including the Weta special-effects shop that helped bring Middle-earth to earth.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Good news, and not surprising given the success of Harry Potter and LOTR. Now where's that Artemis Fowl movie?

StephenT

Stunt Coordinator
If they are only 3/4 as good as the LOTR films, I'll be very happy. I hope they are able to make them all, although some aren't as good as others. I haven't read them in forever. May have to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks