What's new

TRON: Legacy (2010)

Patrick.C

Second Unit
Title: TRON: Legacy

Tagline: The game has changed.

Genre: Adventure, Action, Science Fiction

Director: Joseph Kosinski

Cast: Jeff Bridges, Garrett Hedlund, Olivia Wilde, Bruce Boxleitner, James Frain, Beau Garrett, Michael Sheen, Serinda Swan, Yaya DaCosta, Elizabeth Mathis, Kis Yurij, Conrad Coates, Ron Selmour, Dan Joffre, Darren Dolynski, Kofi Yiadom, Steven Lisberger, Donnelly Rhodes, Belinda Montgomery, Owen Best, Matt Ward, Zoe Fryklund, Dean Redman, Mi-Jung Lee, Christopher Logan, Sheldon Yamkovy, Dale Wolfe, Joanne Wilson, Catherine Lough Haggquist, Thomas Bradshaw, Shafin Karim, Rob Daly, Mike Ching, Michael Teigen, Brent Stait, Shaw Madson, Amy Esterle, Cody Laudan, Jeffrey Nordling, Christine Adams, Kate Gajdosik, Jack McGee, Dawn Mander, Michael Logie, John Reardon, Edie Mirman, Allen Jo, Aaron Toney, Kim Do Nguyen, Patrick Sabongui, Will Erichson, Cillian Murphy, Brandon Jay McLaren

Release: 2010-12-14

Runtime: 125

Plot: Sam Flynn, the tech-savvy and daring son of Kevin Flynn, investigates his father's disappearance and is pulled into The Grid. With the help of a mysterious program named Quorra, Sam quests to stop evil dictator Clu from crossing into the real world.

The title of the Tron sequel was announced today at Comic Con - Tron Legacy

There are two viral sites so far:

http://www.flynnlives.com

http://www.homeoftron.com

and a Facebook page has been established - http://www.facebook.com/Tron

The new logo on what appears to be a teaser poster:

From G4's coverage of the Disney panel - a description of the clip that was shown:

In the clip: We see Sam Flynn enter his father's decrepit arcade. He walks though the dusty room, while period-metal plays. He walks toward the back of the arcade, where a Tron machine is running. Puts a quarter in. It falls out. The cabinet swings off the wall, and Flynn steps behind it, presumably into the game world of Tron.

Looks like Disney pulled off one of the more memorable viral events last night at Comic Con. They recreated Flynn's arcade complete with playable Space Paranoids machines and a lifesize lightcycle from the new film.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/20241/1/COMIC-CON-09-DISNEY-BRINGS-FLYNN039S-ARCADE-TO-LIFE-VIDEO/Page1.html

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41803

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/14707/comic-con-disney-3d-panel

Here is more information
Quote:
Finally came "Tron: Legacy", the title for the upcoming "Tron" follow-up. The filmmakers along with actors Garrett Hedlund, Olivia Wilde and Jeff Bridges were there for a panel. Asked about the new title, Bridges says "everything is going to be super-ized" after discussing the brief logline of the film. Filming finished last Monday.

There's also sketches of the new vehicles including the recognizer, the solar sailer, the light runner (basically an AT buggy version of the light cycle), the second and fifth generation light cycles, the streets of Tron City, and the new gladiatorial game stadium.

The director says "the world of Tron has been evolving on its own server for twenty years like the Galapagos, so its darker and more visceral". The environment has become more detailed with weather patterns and textures. There was some video footage of athletes doing motion capture sessions for the disc wars game. They used the 'Phantom Camera', which shoots 1000 frames a second, which was in 3D for the first time.

"I feel like Rip Van Winkle" says first film director Steve Lisberger who was heavily involved in this sequel 27 years after the first film, "They're doing what needs to be done, making this cyber-western real". The filmmakers talk about Daft Punk's involvement in the score with twenty-four tracks already done.

They also showed off a scene in 2D where Sam Flynn (Hedlund) finds an old arcade game parlor. After switching on the power, turning on a jukebox playing an 80's power ballad and several arcade machines. At the far end is a "Tron" game with the bike players and Flynn finds a secret door hidden behind the machine

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
I'm blown away they re-created Flynn's Arcade -- Disney really outdid themselves with this one. Here's hoping the new movie lives up to the legacy.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
We have a trailer! It's last year's Comic-Con footage...

http://www.flynnlives.com/media/video/0xendgame.aspx

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If that's from last year, I wonder why it didn't leak out before now. In any case, it looks terrific. If that's just proof of concept footage, I can't wait for the finished product.

I wonder if Tron 2.0 will fit into this. It'd be cool to have a new game with the look of this trailer.

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

If that's from last year, I wonder why it didn't leak out before now.
There have been low-res, blurry versions of this clip available online for the past year now, but this official release of the test footage as a "trailer" marks the first time most of us have seen a high quality version.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So...I don't know... TRON is part of my childhood, a beloved movie from that time. Ahead of its time technologically, a surprisingly good score, and a plot and acting sufficient to entrance a 10 year old.

This trailer tugs at my heartstrings, evoking my love of TRON. But taken on its own, doesn't do anything. I watch movies in a post-Matrix and post-Toy Story era. The slow-mo flying through the air flip was done better a decade ago. The stylized CG, beyond cool in the 80s, is passe now.

My inner child wants to love it. But smells a bit like a crass attempt to get dollars from from 80s-kids.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm willing to give it a chance. I have to see more of it before condemning it; although, it looks like Flynn is going to be the villain in this one. I'm not sure if I like that aspect.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

I'm willing to give it a chance. I have to see more of it before condemning it; although, it looks like Flynn is going to be the villain in this one. I'm not sure if I like that aspect.
What gave you that idea?

From the viral websites, I gather that this movie could be subtitled "The Search for Flynn".

EDIT: Well I just read the Con transcript. Interesting....

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

What gave you that idea?

From the viral websites, I gather that this movie could be subtitled "The Search for Flynn".

EDIT: Well I just read the Con transcript. Interesting....
I watched the clip that was posted here on the thread. You see Flynn looking down from on high while the one cyclist is dematting the other. That scene just gave me the vibe that Flynn could be the villain in the film. I could just be getting the wrong impression. There isn't enough information in the clip to draw any concrete conclusion. It is all just impression.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I agree that from the clip Flynn seems like he could be the new MCP over the Tron Universe.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
although, it looks like Flynn is going to be the villain in this one. I'm not sure if I like that aspect.
I could see it as being a thing where it appears at first that Flynn is the villain, but really isn't as it turns out. Maybe it's like a Tron universe case of identity theft or something like that.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

I watched the clip that was posted here on the thread. You see Flynn looking down from on high while the one cyclist is dematting the other. That scene just gave me the vibe that Flynn could be the villain in the film. I could just be getting the wrong impression. There isn't enough information in the clip to draw any concrete conclusion. It is all just impression.
The clip was a VFX test created before the film even had a script, so I wouldn't take it as an indication of anything really.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Not just looking down. Younger Flynn sans beard is the yellow rider. He seems like the villain when he strikes the downed rider who is begging for mercy, but we don't know the context even if it is carried over to the script.

I just watched it again in the highest resolution and I continue to proclaim it a fantastic trailer.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks