What's new

Lost on which sub to purchase!!! (1 Viewer)

firstyme

Auditioning
Real Name
ron
hi, I'm totally lost on what kind of sub to buy for my home theater set up. I have a denon avr-1905, but since most subs are powered subs, don't know if that means much. Anyway, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Room size is 20 x 15 x 9 (Although the living room actually opens up into the kitchen i guess it's longer than 20).

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Ron,

Most important question is how much do you have to spend on the sub? Good internet direct subs (like SVS and HSU) start around $400 and go up to thousands. Once we know your budget we can recommend a few to look at.

firstyme

Auditioning
Real Name
ron
wow, fast response...thanks David. I don't mind spending a grand. I just don't want to be wondering if I spend that much, is there a sub similar for cheaper. That's why I figured I'd talk to the experts!! Is there such a woofer that produces clean, tight bass and bass you can really feel without being all distorted?

Edited by firstyme - 7/22/2009 at 04:28 am GMT

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
IMO, the most bang for you buck are the SVS cylinder subs. Check this one out for about a grand - http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pc12_plus.cfm . If you don't like the look of the cylinder sub, the equivalent box sub goes for about $200 more - http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-newpb12plus.cfm . You get more for less with the cylinder design.

There are other internet direct companies that make excellent subs. Be patient while a few other chime in with recommendations.

BTW - I like SVS because I am most familiar with them (I own an older Ultra/2).

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
If you really want the best you can get for your money, and have any woodworking skills, then the absolute best would be to build your own. I am not the expert in that area, but I'm sure Robert will chime in shortly. I did just successfully replace the driver and amp in my old sub, and I have been thinking about building a new one from the ground up.

If DIY is out of the question, then SVS is always the first recommended, and then HSU Research, and then the resident sub expert would also recommend you also check out Epik and Elemental Designs. From there, it also depends what sound you are looking for. For the cleanest most precise sound, you would look at a sealed sub. If you're more interested in volume and willing to give up a little precision, then ported is the way to go. I have a ported 12" sub from an internet only company that closed shop a few years ago. I have been very happy with it and I'm really happy with the results of rebuilding it after the amp went belly up. If I do build another one, I would probably go with a sealed design.

If you do a search, there are literally hundreds of threads on the very subject that you can glean some additional insight from. You will definitely get the best bang for you buck by going to an internet only vendor.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All good suggestions above. Sealed will get you a smaller box with a little less output. Ported subs are larger and more efficient. Purists will say that sealed does sound better with music. Ported subs graph exactly like a sealed sub until you get close to the resonant frequency of the box. So a large, low tuned sub will sound exaclty like a sealed one when playing music. You will also have the low end punch for movie effects that you won't get with a sealed sub.

DIY was mentioned. That is always an option if you have the time, tools and woodworking know how. When you have that, it can sometimes be more affordable or in my case, more sub for the same money. It is also good when you have an unusual situation like a small or odd shaped location for your sub. Or in the case of infinite baffle subs, they are all DIY. If you decide on this route, I will help. It's a LOT of fun for me since I'm limited on when I can build my own subs.

-Robert
Edited by Robert_J - 7/22/2009 at 10:19 pm GMT

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I personally own SVS, and I've found them to be great subs, built by really nice guys. Not that I'm in the market because my sub still rocks, but I wouldn't bother looking elsewhere for my next model, I'd just set a budget and choose the SVS that's closest.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by firstyme

What do you guys think about in-wall subs?
Only if it is an infinite baffle sub. Otherwise, in my opinion it is a compromise not worrth making.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Robert...

DON'T FEED THE SHILL.

This guy apparently signed up today to tout clearly questionable products and a clearly dishonest seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks