What's new

Apple blows the doors off (again) (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/07/21results.html

Translation:
Hey, this subscription pricing thing actually works pretty well, it doesn't even matter if we sell fewer iPods.
Imagine if the economy were going up!
Imagine if we had a device tied to Verizon instead of sucky AT&T (disclaimer: i still have no complaints about AT&T)
Hey we actually fixed almost all the complaints folks had about the iPhone so now we can focus on the tablet and maybe some cool things like a mac app store (Don't even think about mentioning Bluray here Sam tho!)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Imagine if they had a device for the entire US market instead of just 30% of it.
(should have kept my Apple stock)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DaveF

Imagine if they had a device for the entire US market instead of just 30% of it.
(should have kept my Apple stock)
If they offered the iPhone to all US cell carriers ("the entire market") subsidies per phone would be much lower (AT&T pays more because it is exclusive), thus some combination of phone price higher/Apple profit lower would occur. In any event they haven't been able to yet meet demand for iPhone 3GS, so they wouldn't have sold more iPhones, no matter what.

It would undoubtedly be better for consumers if they could get an iPhone on the carrier of their choice (even at a higher upfront price), but it isn't clear if it is better for Apple (and Apple investors) -- certainly not in the short term.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll take your word for it. I've not yet read an explanation of these carrier-exclusivity deals, and how they benefit the phone manufacturers.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ladies and Gentlemen, THIS is how you DESTROY expectations.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/167404-apple-f4q09-qtr-end-9-26-09-earnings-call-transcript?page=1

Simply unbelievable success.

And they are just getting started....

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=ay1pEGp_areo

BWAHHAHAHAHAH

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/10/19results.html

Apple Reports Fourth Quarter Results Most Profitable Quarter Ever; Record Mac and iPhone Sales CUPERTINO, California—October 19, 2009—Apple® today announced financial results for its fiscal 2009 fourth quarter ended September 26, 2009. The Company posted revenue of $9.87 billion and a net quarterly profit of $1.67 billion, or $1.82 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $7.9 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.14 billion, or $1.26 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 36.6 percent, up from 34.7 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 46 percent of the quarter’s revenue.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Apple is definitely on a roll. Can't believe their computer market share hit 10%. Just think, back in the 90's Apple was close to death before Jobs came back.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Todd H

Apple is definitely on a roll. Can't believe their computer market share hit 10%. Just think, back in the 90's Apple was close to death before Jobs came back.
Was the 10% announced on the earnings call or...? Yeah, Apple is truly kicking ass. Think of what will happen if the iPhone starts taking on serious market share in the future -- or if the iTablet or some other future product (call it iX) takes off. We'll be living in bizarro world.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Just think what would happen to the use of Voip if the iPod touch had a mic and camera. What do you think would happen if the iPhone was on a 4G network with a forward facing camera that allowed you to do video chats with an iChat app?

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Apples stock has not done anything yet. with the tablet coming out and iPhone sales about to start in China, the ride has just begun

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
By my definition, being able to do the second would exclude it from sucking! [/url]

What if the iTablet sucks, or is only goodfor surfing the web from the can?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

What if the iTablet sucks, or is only goodfor surfing the web from the can?
According to MacBreak Weekly, the story is Steve Jobs previously dismissed tablet products as they were only good for just that one purpose. So if there is one, that's not its only purpose in life. :)

I have trouble seeing any value in a tablet, in part because for over 10 years I've had a very specific tablet design in mind, that's yet to produced and certainly won't come from Apple.

But as I reflect a bit more, I can imagine a tablet that would replace my laptop for my lightweight home use. With bluetooth mouse & keyboard, and a desktop stand, it's a fair desktop computer. And pick it up and carry it to the couch for web stuff. Put in the satchel for vacation travels, watch a movie on the plane on a luxurious 10" screen. And if wireless video were a reality, plus a Pre-like Touchstone charger, and back on the desk it's a comfortable desktop solution with cable-free desk.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Another use is as a Kindle type device (rumors are that Amazon's working on a Kindle type app for the iPhone). I too was very dubious about a tablet device, but if it could replace a laptop for light use, a Kindle for reading, it would provide a better browsing experience on the go than the small screen of the iPhone, as well as a great portable video device.
The more I think about what Apple did with the iPhone, if they could create an in-between device (between the iPhone and the laptop) and leverage in the App model they've succeeded with on the iPhone, and get electronic print equivalent delivery like a Kindle but perhaps with color, I think it has a real chance to succeed.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
That's exactly what I envision for the table if it comes. A kindle type device that does apps and sized between an iphone and macbook air

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

Another use is as a Kindle type device (rumors are that Amazon's working on a Kindle type app for the iPhone).
(Long term, definitely, we're moving to digital copy. I think these are early days, like 640x480 digital cameras saving to floppy) But for now, it seems Kindle is much lighter and thinner than a likely table and much longer battery life (thanks to e-ink) and relatively cheap. That's weighed against being a single-purpose device. So can a (likely) $600 - $800 tablet at a couple pounds and a good fraction of an inch with perhaps 5 hrs battery life sell on the strengths of book reading?

Book reading as one of many features is interesting. But is it compelling per se?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't believe reading, as in novels, is necessarily ready for prime time. Truth be told, most people don't like looking at screens, even with easier-on-the-eyes e-ink technology, for the amount of time it takes to read a lengthy novel.

I think a more likely use for it is for lighter reading like newspapers, magazines, short stories, articles, blogs, etc.
Just my opinion. I'm much more likely to read those on a Kindle or tablet device than I am a novel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks