What's new

The Apartment on Blu? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just watched a program from MGMHD called "From the Vaults" or something like that. I saw in my guide that it was about The Apartment and since it was from the vaults, I assumed it would be some promo piece produced at the time the film was originally released. No, it was a recently produced talking heads doc in HD. It was a fairly interesting piece too. It looked like something that would be included as an extra on a DVD or BD.

Of course what really got my attention were the clips of the movie in HD. The film was looking good to my eyes. So now I'm thinking they've got an HD transfer, can a BD be on the horizon? Yeah, I know, don't hold your breath. I'd sure like to see this film on BD.

If it does come to BD, this film absolutely deserves 1st class treatment. In addition to the best in video and audio quality, the extra that would most interest me is a first rate commentary by a film historian. A commentary that is researched and almost scripted, because of the prep for it. Some of the best commentaries I've heard are on the Universal monster DVDs.

One of the things the doc did was place the film in it's contemporary perspective. I was reminded of how daring it was in it's subject matter.

Anyway, bring on The Apartment, please.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Hear Hear, Johnny!

I absolutely love this film- and even though I double dipped last year for the SE, I would buy a Bd in a heart beat.
The SE was a good improvement over the original vanilla release, even if it does seem a little too dark. As Travis says, I'm sure the new master that was created for the SE was also intended for a HD release at some point (hopefully sooner rather than later)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott
I absolutely love this film- and even though I double dipped last year for the SE, I would buy a Bd in a heart beat.
Just watching that half hour program really got my juices flowing to get the film on BD. Good b&w really looks terrific in HD.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
...and it's a scope film. For someone in my position, with a front projector using a constant height set up, the resolution boost from HD is much appreciated and noticed.

I never watched the features on the new SE- I wonder if what you saw was the same feature on the disc, just broadcast in HD- or an entirely new production. If it's the later that could be a very good sign.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott

I never watched the features on the new SE- I wonder if what you saw was the same feature on the disc, just broadcast in HD- or an entirely new production. If it's the later that could be a very good sign.
It wouldn't be the first time that a broadcast feature became a disc "extra" or vice versa. It was certainly good enough that I'd like to see it on the upcoming BD....fingers crossed.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
2010 will mark the 50th anniversary of The Apartment, so it would make sense for MGM to release it on Blu then.

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Careful, now. You guys are getting my hopes up. :)

I know it's a little off topic, But speaking of 50th anniversary, why wouldn't MGM release Some Like It Hot this year? Has anybody heard anything about it?

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Frank Ha

I know it's a little off topic, But speaking of 50th anniversary, why wouldn't MGM release Some Like It Hot this year? Has anybody heard anything about it?
They are releasing a repackaged, barebones standard DVD at budget pricing with "50th Anniversary" branding. I can't see any plans beyond that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks