Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Shout Factory Press Release: It's Garry Shandling's Show: The Complete Series DVD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,747 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 01:40 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,115 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 05:42 PM

After the disappointing sales of Larry Sanders, I never though we'd see this series at all. It's a great idea putting out the entire series since this is a bit of a cult series and the devoted fans who remember it will be thrilled to have it all at once. This beats having it come out with a first season release and then disappear completely due to low sales.

I'm hoping for extras and commentaries. I'll be holding my breath while I do this.

Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,342 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 09:22 AM

I'd never even heard of this series but I did enjoy Larry Sanders quite a bit but Shandling himself can get on my nerves...is this worth checking out?

Hopefully Shout! can get a hold of the rest of Larry Sanders and put it out there.

#4 of 10 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,432 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 23 2009 - 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by AnthonyC 

I'd never even heard of this series but I did enjoy Larry Sanders quite a bit but Shandling himself can get on my nerves...is this worth checking out?

It's been forever since I've seen this show (though I love The Larry Sanders Show) but I'm giving this a rental since the price tag is pretty big for a blind buy.

#5 of 10 ONLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,471 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted July 24 2009 - 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by AnthonyC 

Hopefully Shout! can get a hold of the rest of Larry Sanders and put it out there.

This show was brilliant and funny and holds up. But if you don't want to spring for the complete series, I strongly recommend the Not Just The Best of The Larry Sanders Show best-of set that was released a couple years ago. It's a keeper and a re-watcher in my collection. Besides a great sampling of the episodes, the generous extra content is worth the price alone: Garry hanging out playing basketball with David Ducovny, boxing with Alec Baldwin, cooking with Sharon Stone - each quite a good length piece, and all wickedly witty.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,747 posts

Posted July 24 2009 - 03:50 AM

I remember this show when it originally aired and thought 
it was brilliantly funny.  I love any show that breaks down
the fourth wall and involves the viewer in on the joke.

I would jump in a heartbeat to purchase this show, but alas,
it is awfully expensive.  Think I will wait until it eventually drops
to a lower price.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,222 posts

Posted July 24 2009 - 06:41 AM

I remember this show when it aired on FOX, back when the network was just getting started. The only episode I can recall is the ping-pong one, where Gary gets shot in the hand by some woman, and he was not able to play after that.

TV Episodes Watched - 2015 - May
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read) / 2014 (1 read)

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted July 24 2009 - 08:22 AM

If Garry gets on your nerves, then this might not be the right show for you.
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   texboil

texboil

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted July 25 2009 - 03:36 PM

This to me is the perfect synergy of a show that I've been waiting a long time for and a label -- Shout! Factory -- that honestly is the only label I go out of my way to support. I feel forever indebted to SF for putting SCTV out on DVD (yes, they didn't finish it but I blame sales, not SF for that), as well as F&G and The Secret Policeman's Balls box set.

Is it overpriced? Sure, but I have little doubt it will be a fantastic set. I'm there.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,368 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted October 05 2009 - 11:20 AM

I'm working my way through this and will have my review up fairly soon, but fans won't be disappointed. Shout! Factory has done an excellent job on this. The episodes look very good and there are extras, including some commentaries by Gary Shandling and Alan Zweibel.

Rich Gallagher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users