Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: North By Northwest 50th Anniversary Editions (DVD/Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 of 68 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,591 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 01:35 AM

Posted Image 

“Quintessential Hitchcock. One of the All-Time Great Entertainments
.”

- Leonard Maltin’s Movie Guide

NORTH BY NORTHWEST 
50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITIONS

Warner Home Video Gives Legendary 
Hitchcock Thriller

Million Dollar Restoration for Blu-ray Book 
and Special Edition DVD Debuts November 3

Starring Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason

Co-starring Jessie Royce Landis, Leo G. Carroll and Martin Landau

Featuring Two New Documentaries

Burbank, Calif., July 20, 2009 – On November 3, Warner Home Video celebrates the 50th anniversary of North by Northwest, Master of Suspense Alfred Hitchcock's sleek masterwork, with spectacularly restored 50th Anniversary Editions on Blu-ray and DVD, newly remastered in 1080p from original VistaVision film elements.  

The arrival of North by Northwest on Blu-ray is a landmark event in home video history, as it marks the very first of the famed director’s films to become available on this state-of-the-art format.  Accordingly, the film has received a meticulous restoration and remastering especially for this occasion with Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging scanning the original VistaVision production elements in 8K resolution.  The resulting presentation reveals a depth of field and clarity never before possible, only serving to heighten every thrill-packed moment of this beloved classic.

Starring Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason, co-starring Jessie Royce Landis, Leo G. Carroll and Martin Landau, the stylish, action-packed espionage caper was written by Ernest Lehman, with music by Bernard Herrmann.  Nominated for three Academy Awards® including Best Writing, Film Editing and Art Direction, the film was lauded as #4 on AFI's ”100 Years…100 Thrills” and selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Film Registry.

North by Northwest will be available for the first time in premium Blu-ray Book packaging, selling for $34.99 SRP and as a Special Edition DVD, retailing for $24.98 SRP.  Both versions boast two new documentaries. The Master’s Touch: Hitchcock’s Signature Style consists of interviews, clips, and behind-the-scenes footage to reveal what defines the unmistakable Hitchcock style. In North by Northwest: One for the Ages today’s top directors Guillermo del Toro, William Friedkin, Curtis Hanson, and Francis Lawrence share their interpretations on the film’s importance and its influence on their own work. The Blu-ray Book also contains 44 pages full of photos, film facts and ‘insider information.’ 

Also on November 3, Hitchcock fans will be able to add to their collections with TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection: Hitchcock Thrillers, containing four of the director’s finest movies on two discs. The films in this collection are: I Confess, Strangers on a Train, Suspicion and The Wrong Man. The four-title set will sell for $27.92 SRP.

About the film

Cary Grant (as the ultimate man-on-the-run in his fourth Hitchcock teaming) gives a superlative performance while Eva Marie Saint (perfect Hitchcock heroine Eve Kendall) is at her sultry and sexy best in this heart-pounding thriller.  Grant plays Manhattan adman Roger Thornhill, who is at once plunged into the world of spies and counterspies, abducted, framed for murder, chased, and (in the signature set-piece) crop-dusted. At the films’ end, he hangs on for dear life from the facial features of Mount Rushmore’s Presidents where he ultimately rescues Miss Saint.

New Special Features:

• Documentary: The Master’s Touch: Hitchcock’s Signature Style
  • Documentary: North by Northwest: One for the Ages

Additional Special Features:

• Screenwriter commentary
  • Music only track
  • Cary Grant: A Class Apart [2003 TCM Documentary]
  • Destination Hitchcock: The Making of North by Northwest hosted by Eva Marie Saint
  • Photo gallery
  • Trailer gallery

NORTH BY NORTHWEST 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITIONS

Street Date: November 3, 2009

NORTH BY NORTHWEST BD BOOK

$34.99 SRP

NORTH BY NORTHWEST SPECIAL EDITION DVD

$24.98 SRP

Feature Running Time: 136 Minutes; Not Rated:

16x9 Widescreen, Technicolor

Audio: English

Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Edited by Ronald Epstein - 7/20/2009 at 02:01 pm GMT
Edited by Ronald Epstein - 7/21/2009 at 01:56 pm GMT

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 68 Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,374 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 03:09 AM

No box of junk on this one? Thanks, Warner!! Sold!

#3 of 68 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Preischl 

I second that!

#4 of 68 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,003 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 03:18 AM

Yippee! Hope this is the start of Hitchcock on BD.

#5 of 68 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 20 2009 - 05:36 AM

Quote:

I was going to say the same thing. Thanks, Warner Brothers! /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif

#6 of 68 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,813 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 09:53 AM

Aweswome!  And great to hear that this is coming out w/out the high priced boxed stuff.

I expect to get this soon after release then...

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#7 of 68 David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 11:37 AM

Outstanding. No waiting for a sale price on this one. It's enough to make me anxious for cold weather.

#8 of 68 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 01:02 PM

Hitchcock probably made better films, or more important films, but this is surely his most fun film! I can watch this one over and over.

Can't wait!

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#9 of 68 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted July 20 2009 - 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Preischl View Post

Ditto, but i am not a fan of the "book" either. It should be easy enough to replace the art for a regular Blu-ray case. Great movie, and i am on it DAY 1.

#10 of 68 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 02:09 PM

Awesome! I will be picking this up the moment it comes out.  Bring on the HD Hitchcock.

#11 of 68 Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 03:15 AM

Mine! An old favorite.

Now Where are the Universal Hitchcocks?

Rear Window
Psycho
Trouble With Harry
The Birds
etc
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#12 of 68 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,401 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 07:52 AM

Quote:
Hitchcock probably made better films, or more important films, but this is surely his most fun film! I can watch this one over and over.

Can't wait!

My feelings exactly. I don't know that I'd say it's Hitch's best either, but it's like a favorite amusement park ride one wants to ride time and again.

#13 of 68 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,859 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 21 2009 - 08:02 AM

I want this, and FWIW, I have no problem with the BD Books, as long as what's included provides a historical context.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#14 of 68 Paul_Warren

Paul_Warren

Second Unit

• 350 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted July 21 2009 - 08:11 AM

Looking forward to this. 8K transfer should still look amazing even downsampled to 1080P. Cary Grant was such an incredible looking & charismatic actor. Throw in James Mason in his prime, Martin Landau & Eve M Saint with Hitch's direction & subtle black humour then Herrmanns amazing score (which I always consider to be a character in most of his Hitchcock collaborations makes this an unbeatable & timeless classic.

I still rate both Marnie & Vertigo slightly higher though but would give and say all 3 overall are about equal in the entertainment stakes for vastly different reasons!!

In fact Marnie is my slight favorite Hitch movie. Sean & Tippi in their prime & Hitch on fire with his slick direction & camerwork is unbeatable. That would look amazing if given the full 8K treatment as well.

#15 of 68 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,063 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted July 21 2009 - 08:37 AM

I will pick up the BD even if they send me an SD DVD to review.  The cover art is kind of funny the way they blend the iconography from different parts of the film in such a way that Cary Grant is being chased down a path clearly marked in the style of the Saul Bass titles by a cropduster which is apparently originating from Mount Rushmore.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#16 of 68 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 08:43 AM

This is mine along with Heat, Oz, etc. Going to be an expensive pre-Christmas for me!!

#17 of 68 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 09:49 AM

I must admit I've never seen North By Northwest. I always wanted to buy the dvd boxset the movie was in (what was it, the Signature Collection?) but it just never happened. When I heard Warner was going to restore it and would give it a Blu-ray release, I decided to wait for it. I really hoped Universal would release the other Hitchcock movies, but that's probably going to take a while. Anyway, in the meantime, we'll have this one. An 8K transfer off a VistaVision film, must be good.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#18 of 68 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Borst 

I must admit I've never seen North By Northwest.
You're in for a real treat. Not only is it suspenseful and exciting, but it is also hilarious, it contains some of the funniest dialogue in any Hitchcock film, some of which is completely nonsensical.

#19 of 68 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,591 posts

Posted July 22 2009 - 10:21 AM

Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#20 of 68 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted July 22 2009 - 10:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks Warner! At least you didn't throw in a Digital Copy. Sold! Another Grant film I'd buy on Blu-ray if given a full restoration, possibly already has one, is CHARADE. Even Gunga Din.
Another Hitchcock title I'd buy on Blu-ray? Rear Window, Psycho, The Lady Vanishes, Suspicion, Notorious and many other titles. Wait, the last two are even Cary Grant films!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users