-

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Heat, The Negotiator and Logan's Run (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,586 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 01:34 AM

Posted Image

High Action in High Definition!

HEAT

Director Michael Mann Supervised All-New Transfer of 
Al Pacino-Robert De Niro Starrer which debuts

on Blu-ray Hi-Def November 3 from Warner Home Video

The Negotiator and Logan’s Run also debut

Burbank, Calif., July 20, 2009 – Prior to the recent opening of his well-received motion picture Public Enemies, director Michael Mann went back into the telecine facility to personally supervise a new high-definition transfer of Heat, the crime classic that starred powerhouse duo Al Pacino and Robert De Niro.The Negotiator and Logan’s Run join the high action in high definition -- all on November 3 from Warner Home Video. Special features for all three films include commentaries, documentary, deleted scenes and trailers.

Heat, The Negotiator and Logan’s Run will sell separately for $28.99 SRP each.

About The Films

Heat

An L.A. cop (Al Pacino) becomes fixated on a deadly thief (Robert De Niro) and his crew (Val Kilmer, Jon Voight) who are wreaking havoc on the streets of the city. This crime drama features one of the most spectacular shootouts in film history as De Niro and Kilmer rip through downtown Los Angeles with both guns blazing.

Special Features:

·   Commentary by Michael Mann

·   The Making of Heat

·   Pacino and De Niro: The Conversation

·   Return to the Scene of the Crime

·   Deleted Scenes

·   Theatrical Trailers 

The Negotiator

Starring Samuel L. Jackson and Kevin Spacey, the film is a taut tale of a former FBI hostage negotiator who, after being framed for murder, tries to clear his name by taking several people hostage in order to uncover the guilty party.

Special Features

• The Eleventh Hour: Stories From Real-Life Negotiators
  • On Location: Why Chicago
  • Theatrical Trailer

Logan’s Run

A sci-fi movie taking place in the 23rd century, Logan’s Run stars Michael York (Logan) as a man living in a futuristic society who goes on the run to escape the required ceremonial death ritual for all citizens who reach the age of 30. With fine performances from Richard Jordan and Peter Ustinov, the film earned a special Oscar® for visual effects, and was nominated for two Academy Awards®- for Best Art Direction and Best Cinematography.

Special Features:

• Commentary by Michael Anderson, Michael York & Bill Thomas
  • A Look Into the 23rd Century
  • Theatrical Trailer

BD Action Promotion – Heat, The Negotiator and Logan’s Run

Street Date: November 3, 2009

Heat

Run Time: 171 Minutes

Rated R

$28.99 SRP

The Negotiator

Run Time: 139 Minutes

Rated R

$28.99 SRP

Logan’s Run

Run Time: 120 Minutes

Rated PG

$28.99 SRP

Edited by Ronald Epstein - 7/20/2009 at 02:00 pm GMT

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 37 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 01:57 AM

Too bad on Logan's Run. Guess it is a barebones release for now.

#3 of 37 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 20 2009 - 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Robertson 

Too bad on Logan's Run. Guess it is a barebones release for now.

It has a commentary and a featurette. It's not loaded with features, but it's not barebones, either.

Looking forward to Heat myself.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 37 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 02:44 AM

I still consider it bare knowing how much was left out. I'm pretty sure the DVD made long ago had those same features also.

#5 of 37 Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 02:44 AM

I guess the disappointment about LOGAN'S RUN comes from the fact that this is essentially a direct port of the DVD except for the actual HD film.  I mean, that's fine.  I love the film and would like to see it in HD.  There are just so many deleted scenes from LOGAN'S RUN that were shot, that it's disappointing that the film is, once again, dumped onto the market.  Who knows?  Maybe they don't exist any longer.  In any case, $29.98 is pretty steep for a film that is available most places for $5 on DVD.  I seriously doubt that the film has been given much in the way of a cleaning up.  Ah, well.  I'll withhold judgment until I see it.  Yay for Netflix!

---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#6 of 37 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 04:28 AM

I hope it isn't a direct port. The source used for the DVD had a fair share of dirt, as you pointed out. As for the MSRP, it should be had for the same price that 2010 can be found for now.

#7 of 37 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,586 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 09:26 AM

Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#8 of 37 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,087 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted July 20 2009 - 10:44 AM

I look forward to Heat in Blu-ray. I just pre-ordered it from Amazon. November is too long to have to wait.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#9 of 37 AL KUENSTER

AL KUENSTER

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 10:48 AM

I hope Heat sounds as good or better than the LD did!

Al Kuenster

#10 of 37 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 10:50 AM

Interesting. The two Logan's Run characters in that ad are from the TV series! Is this a tease from Warner Bros?

#11 of 37 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 05:32 AM

Quote:

Interesting. The two Logan's Run characters in that ad are from the TV series! Is this a tease from Warner Bros?
Yeah, that's pretty funny. I sure hope the transfer is an upgrade, the last DVD looks pretty bad now, and the features are the same. Can't say I'm much of a fan of the cover art either, but I guess I should be happy if we are getting a new HD transfer.

#12 of 37 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,434 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 21 2009 - 06:03 AM

Quote:

Good catch. I wouldn't mind seeing the TV series released, too.

I will be picking up all three of these titles, assuming the transfers are good.

#13 of 37 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 07:24 AM

Me neither. I haven't seen the show since it originally aired. It would be neat to see it again. And since it didn't last very long, it would be an affordable DVD set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield 

Good catch. I wouldn't mind seeing the TV series released, too.

I will be picking up all three of these titles, assuming the transfers are good.

#14 of 37 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 09:23 AM

Darn, was kind of hoping Heat was going to be a digibook. I like those. No question it's a buy for me anyways as it's in my top 5 all time list.
Probably will pass on The Negotiator as I have seen it a couple times on TBS and thought the movie was okay.
I have never seen Logan's Run but it looks intriguing. 
So for anyone that would care to comment - is it worth a blind buy? I loved Blade Runner if that is any point of reference.

#15 of 37 Bernhard

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 09:32 AM

Great news about Heat finally being officially announced for Blu-Ray, finally!
Although I have to admit that I was hoping that they would finally go ahead and do that director's cut that was talked about a while ago. 
My current DVD Collection

Mace Windu: "Do you know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese on Coruscant?"

#16 of 37 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,434 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 21 2009 - 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw 

Darn, was kind of hoping Heat was going to be a digibook. I like those. No question it's a buy for me anyways as it's in my top 5 all time list.
Probably will pass on The Negotiator as I have seen it a couple times on TBS and thought the movie was okay.
So for anyone that would care to comment - is it worth a blind buy? I loved Blade Runner if that is any point of reference.
Logan's Run and Blade Runner are very different films visually. While both are futuristic, Blade Runner has a very dark, dingy atmosphere, while Logan's Run presents the future with a much cleaner, stylistic look. Of course, both films do present  grim futures, though.

I have always liked Logan's Run, and also remember watching and enjoying the TV Series during its initial airing when I was growing up. I think Blade Runner is a better film, but Logan's Run is still well worth watching. Peter Ustinov has a wonderful supporting role.

#17 of 37 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted July 22 2009 - 05:12 AM

Although I love it, I don't know that I would give a blanket recommendation for Logan's Run unless you are a fan of 1970s science fiction. As Scott says, it is very different from Blade Runner, not only visually, but in style. It is definitely worth renting though to see if it appeals to you.

#18 of 37 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 22 2009 - 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw ">

Stylistically, BR and LR are almost 180 degrees apart. LR was released one year before Star Wars came along and radicalized movie sci-fi with the concept of a 'lived in' future. LR might as well have been made 20 years earlier as it still depicts the future all clean and shiny, with everyone wearing unitards ( or something close to it). On a very superficial level, if you don't have a fondness for that quaint, somewhat kitschy aesthetic, then the film probably will rub you the wrong way immediately.

OTOH, if you can get past the visual design or embrace it, the film is at the core a 'chase movie'. I'll probably sound very pretentious here,  but there is a primal appeal about chase stories that taps into our collective beginnings as hunter/gatherers. Most people can respond positively to a chase film, and on that level LR is a fairly fun ride.
Imho, of course. I really enjoy the film for that reason, along with the quaintness, now, of the conceptualized future. I was old enough to remember  LR being marketed as cutting edge, and then a year later to see SW came along and blew that concept all to hell. So the film will always hold a special place to people like me for that  last gasp of old school future-rama.

And of course even if it didn't have any of the above, it still has Jenny Agutter which would make it an essential purchase regardless 

<br />

</div>

<ul id='postControlsNormal_3477742' class='post_controls clear clearfix' >
					<li class='top hide'><a href='#ipboard_body' class='top' title='Back to top'>Back to top</a></li>

</ul>

</div>
		</div>
	</div>

<hr />

<script type= var pid = parseInt(3477742); if ( pid > ipb.topic.topPid ){ ipb.topic.topPid = pid; } // Show multiquote for JS browsers if ( $('multiq_3477742') ) { $('multiq_3477742').show(); } if( $('toggle_post_3477742') ) { $('toggle_post_3477742').show(); } // Add perm data ipb.topic.deletePerms[3477742] = { 'canDelete' : 0, 'canSoftDelete' : 0 };

#19 of 37 Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,125 posts

Posted July 22 2009 - 06:35 AM

If I didn't know that only six years separated them, I'd swear that "Blade Runner" was made 30 years after "Logan's Run." Aside from a few anachronistic corporate logos, "Blade Runner" doesn't look dated at all. "Logan's Run" on the other hand, fairly screams the 70s.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#20 of 37 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,467 posts

Posted July 22 2009 - 04:12 PM

Which anachronistic corporate logos would those be? ;)