Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Frank McCourt (the author) has passed away

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,210 posts

Posted July 19 2009 - 05:32 PM

Rest in peace. Not only a wonderful writer, but a genuinely funny and kind man. Saw him speak at a graduation at UCLA, the best commencement speech I've ever seen/heard (and I've seen a lot). Quite a lovely man, especially given his tragic childhood.

Godspeed  Mr. McCourt.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#2 of 4 ONLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,970 posts

Posted July 19 2009 - 08:36 PM

Yes, I liked the books even more than the film (Angela's Ashes), which says nothing to the disadvantage of the film, BTW.

May he Rest In Peace.

Cees

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,933 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 20 2009 - 04:17 AM

My wife persisted and persisted that I needed to read Angela's Ashes.

I don't have a lot of free time to read books...although it is a passion (along with films).  But I usually get to a few each summer. 

I couldn't believe how wonderful a book it was.  His ability to tell such a dismal upbringing with such grace and humor and lightness was an extreme gift.

Like Cees, I much preferred the book to the film.  I believe it was McCourt's light narrative which was lost in the translation. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Randy_Sh

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 02:39 AM

I plan on picking up a copy of Angela's Ashes for s summer read...I was vaguely familar with Frank McCourt's work, but didn't realize his background at all until yesterday.

Mike Greenburg from ESPN radio's Mike & Mike spoke very fondly of him - before he was as Pulitzer prize winning author, he was a long time English teacher....Greenie had him HS English and had many memories of his classs.
Randy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users