What's new

Smallville Season 9 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
While we are a bit away, something came up today that just deserves to kick off the thread.

As most here know, this week flags ComiCon.. and Smallville will have an interesting kickoff according to multiple sources (EW/TVG/etc) one of the original things that they've avoided from the superman mythos becomes a part of the show early apparently and plays out often. And early citing will happen at Comicon..

According to EW, the one thing we get to see is the display of Tom Welling with the big "S" at shield... along with the outfit to boot. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I already started one (though I guess a mod renamed it as Casting News).

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/289271/smallville-season-9-casting-news

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm sorry! One of the functions I miss from the old forum is that when you'd start a thread it'd warn you if something similar was out there. I used the search function, and after going back 3 pages (I searched just where Smallville appeared in the title) I didn't see your thread.. and by page 3 it was showing me like 2003 threads.. :( So, my apologies. If we can combine these, that's fine.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It doesn't matter. Yeah, the new search isn't that great. Plus, since someone renamed my thread, the title didn't make it look that interesting anyway.

To repeat what I had over there, Brian Austin Green will be guesting in the new season as

Metallo.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
There's a lot of Smallville news here:

http://www.newsarama.com/tv/090725-sdcc09-smallville.html

I'm not reading most of it, but they are now shooting for a tenth season. Also, it's funny that Callum Blue is having a big role.

Zod.
Before watching Dead Like Me, I wouldn't have known who that was.

I didn't catch Loeb's involvement. Maybe he's just moderating the panel? I hope he isn't coming back. He already ruined Heroes.

Oh, yeah. And, Geoff Johns is writing another episode.

The Justice Society of America.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Greg. That's pretty bad-ass looking. Usually stuff on Smallville looks like a cheap knock-off version of whatever was in the comics, but that looks close to feature-y quality.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Anyone think a certain recent movie might have been in mind when they came up with that?

Iron Man. The center Kryptonite device looks almost identical to Tony's reactor thing.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It felt weird not having Smallville on on Thursday night, but if they can still pull in 3+ million viewers throughout the season with the move to Friday nights, the CW might give them a 10th season.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I just read recently that the producers and cast are committed to a tenth season, Patrick, so who knows...

Like a lemming, I'll check it out tonight and get sucked in again only to have my hopes shattered by the mid-season break.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The season premiere felt oddly oppressive and depressive, perhaps too dark in tone.

Now, can't complain about the gratuitous Lois in skimpy tops scenes (and the Oliver shirt-less scenes took care of a couple of demographics). The brunette with the oversized blue contacts was weird looking, even with the whole time travel issue to keep her on the show throughout the season. The introduction to Zod (and his reclamation of authority) was sort of clumsy. Tess looking all beat-up, I could do less with. Chloe's plea to change the course of time for selfish gain rang hollow, not crazy about how she's been written of late.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I guess I shouldn't be terribly surprised by season 9, but the entire plot seemed to move entirely too fast. What other shows might take 2-3 weeks to set up and put in motion was all thrown into this episode. Lois in the future, Oliver and the JL completely off the grid, Clark doing his super-stuff, Chloe coming to terms with her new world, Zod and Tess... They say Lois has been gone three weeks, yet the date on the newspaper read September 25, 2009 (nice little in-joke, I thought). The season finale last year took place in September? Really?

If I knew every episode this season was going to focus on one of our main stories, maybe this episode wouldn't leave a bitter taste in my mouth. But I think we all know there's going to be filler episodes which have nothing to do with anything. That time could have been better spent setting up the season arcs.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I was a little distracted throughout, but it seemed a little all over the place. But, I'm not that hard to please and am glad Smallville is back. And, there was good ol' Mason.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

The season premiere felt oddly oppressive and depressive, perhaps too dark in tone.
It definitely felt like the Biff-with-Sports-book 1985 in Back to the Future, Part II. The thing I liked was that, even with everything gone to crap, everybody's lives shattered, and Zod's footsoldiers infiltrating, you still have Superman (albeit, a black, gothic and distant Superman) saving the day.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
This show has so little substance these days, it's a huge chore just to sit through an episode. Why not retool it and call it "Legion", make it officially an ensemble drama, and be done with it? It certainly would help make for more interesting story lines...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I enjoyed tonight's a lot. It was cute when Lois rushed Clark. The rooftop thing called back to Superman listening from the lower atmosphere in SR. I still don't know how they can make Clark be Superman and fool Lois et al, but the show is finally starting to morph into Metropolis. It's cool he's an actual hero now and it's cool he wants to learn to fly.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

It's cool he's an actual hero now and it's cool he wants to learn to fly.
And that's another thing that drives me crazy! It's not like he doesn't already know he's indestructible. Just jump out a window already. If you hit the ground, so what. Keep doing it until you don't. Jor-El confirmed to Clark that his physiology is just like Kara's and all the other umpteen Kryptonians who have made their way through Smallville, all of whom can fly. I mean really...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks