Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Walmart Magnavox BR $98.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,718 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted July 19 2009 - 01:13 PM

I was in Walmart today (looking for more of those darned $5 cd/dvd's) and saw they had the Magnavox BluRay player for only $98. Of course, just as I noticed it some lady picked one up. There was another on the shelf but the box was a bit "taddy". Still, those on a budget got a good deal. I think it was this one but I can't say for sure.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,820 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted July 23 2009 - 06:50 AM

Walmart is so strange.  The price varies from store to store.  I got the $98 price, but only at the third WM I visited.  The first two wanted $128. 

They have both the NB500MGX and the NB530MGX.  Beats me what the difference is between the two.   IIRC AVS had a thread and said the 500 was a later model than the 530.  Both have identical descriptions on the box, and both are HDMI 1.3a..  Unlike the older Mag. I bought last year both have both optical and coax digital audio out. 
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,766 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 23 2009 - 09:18 AM

I've seen that player at my closest Wal-Mart store for $128 one day and then $168 just two days later!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   StephenA

StephenA

Screenwriter

• 1,514 posts

Posted August 02 2010 - 06:45 AM

I got the 530 in May at Wal-Mart for 78 dollars. It plays all the Blu-Rays I have so far(29 in all) with no problem. It did have a slight problem with lagging after layer change on some of my DVDs that I've played on it, which my regular DVD player hasn't had. Overall it's an ok player to me, though I'm not really one to judge.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,629 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted August 02 2010 - 12:00 PM

That's the one I received as a Christmas gift last year. It's played all discs fine. I have had an issue getting the output signal to be recognized by my projector via the HDMI/DVI cable. Once the disc has loaded, I have to press "Stop," then toggle the HDMI mode with the remote. The signal is then received.

Not quite sure if it's the player or something to do with the DVI connector cable, but it's a relatively minor inconvenience. The player itself has worked great (though kind of slow to load).

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.