Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

From the Earth to the Moon on Blu?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,415 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 19 2009 - 02:38 AM

I did a search and couldn't find any reference, so I'll ask the question.  Are there any known plans for this terrific series to be released on HD?  I'd snap it up in a sec.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,555 posts

Posted July 19 2009 - 04:37 AM

What a coincidence, I was going to post a related question! Must be because this weekend is the 40th Anniversary of the manned Moon landing. I agree, it's a great series covering that great time of the space program's early days to the last man to walk on the Moon.

I'd be interested in a BD version too. But my question was in regards to a re-issue box set that came out a few years ago. I have the original DVD boxset which is in standard 4x3 fullframe. But this re-issue was supposed to be letterboxed. As I recall at the time of the re-issue, it was window boxed(?) to create a faux 1:85 image?

I can look this up, but I'd be curious if that was the case for the re-issue. If it came out on Blu, it will be interesting to see if they left it full frame or not.

Also can't wait to see Apollo 13 on blu!

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,878 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted July 19 2009 - 05:17 AM

I have both of the older DVD sets.  The re-issue is 16:9 anamorphic widescreen with DTS 5.1 sound.

It's been a while, but IIUC the original set was not full-frame but pan&scan.  IIRC this series was originally shot in 16:9.

http://www.imdb.com/...e/tt0120570/dvd 
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,415 posts

Posted July 19 2009 - 07:03 AM

I have the original (at least I think it is) and it sure doesn't look like pan and scan to me.  No where on the box or the insert can I find any info on what the video is.  If I recall correctly, a review of the reissue said if you didn't have the set buy the reissue, but if you already owned it, it was iffy and whether is was worth it to upgrade.

I've noticed it lately in Sams for under $15.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,415 posts

Posted July 19 2009 - 08:21 AM

This series is a natural for BD.  Between the great score, the rumbling rockets, the great images, and just an overall great series, it belongs on BD.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted July 19 2009 - 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls View Post

It's been a while, but IIUC the original set was not full-frame but pan&scan.  IIRC this series was originally shot in 16:9.

My understanding is the opposite: the series was designed and shot 4:3, being a TV mini-series, and the later "Signature Edition" was a tilt-and-scan edit, which is why I decided not to buy it.

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,949 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 12:53 AM

It was also my understanding that the original set had the original aspect ratio.

If that is not correct, I would be very interested in knowing that.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,555 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 03:33 AM

I did some research and From the Earth To The Moon was definitely 4:3 originally, according to what I read.

This sparked my interest to pull out my set and watch last night. I saw the first 2 episodes and the opening shots of the first episode where the NASA management guys and Kennedy administration people are meeting in the White House. These shots are composed with close-ups on each actor as they discuss the events of the Russians getting a man into orbit and what they can do. If they crop those shots, the tops of the heads would be cut off!

I heard that term tilt and scan, but I've never seen the results. I'll have to read up on that too. But it sounds like it alters the composition negatively.

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,878 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted July 20 2009 - 03:44 AM

Quote:
the series was designed and shot 4:3, being a TV mini-series

IMDB isn't helpful here.  Under tech specs it gives 1.78:1 AR, but under alt versions it says the reissue DVD was cropped.  I know it was a TV series on HBO, BUT it was released in 1998 and by that time the handwriting was on the wall that future TVs would all be 16:9.  For example, Band of Brothers was released in 2001 and it was certainly shot in 1.78:1 AR.

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 04:18 AM

I bought the original 4:3 DVD release and watched all of it, then bought the 16:9 SE version when the price got cheap in April 2007. Sadly, I've never had a chance to watch it yet so I can't comment on differences. However, I remember reading a lot of discussion and reviews at the time where there seemed to be concensus that 4:3 was the true OAR, but that the 16:9 did a good job of framing things without it looking "wrong" or losing anything important.

EDIT: I checked a few online reviews. This one has some discussion and a few small comparison shots. Seems that some things were better with the original and some better with the SE.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/17788/from-the-earth-to-the-moon-the-signature-edition/

Edited by GlennH - 7/20/2009 at 04:31 pm GMT

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,555 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 04:56 AM

Thanks for that link to DVD Talk. Interesting to read and see the images. The price on Amazon for this set has now dropped to $10 bucks! Tempting to get this version now. But I would be interested in a BD version.

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 895 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 06:06 AM

The 16:9 version (I've got the US Signature set) does occasionally look a little cramped, but for the most part the cropping works fine. It's a great piece of work regardless of how you watch it though. :)

Just a thought re: a BD version: Was it even post-produced in HD?

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 06:40 AM

The CG effects were done in SD, so Warner/HBO would have to pony up some coin to redo those shots for Blu-ray.

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,878 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted July 20 2009 - 07:17 AM

Plus most of the historical footage (e.g. in the 1968 episode) would have been in low-res.

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 11:44 AM

If you're interested in a good series with lots of this kind of footage, might I recommend Discovery Channel's, When We Left Earth, The NASA Missions. No, it's not the same, but it's entertaining nonetheless.

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 01:57 PM

As this was shot here in Florida, I used to know one of the camera operators. It was filmed with both 4:3 and 16:9 in mind. Like most TV productions of the time, they shot it for regular TVs with an eye towards the future. So you could say either version is "correct".

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,668 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 20 2009 - 11:50 PM

This thread, and the 40th anniversary of the moon landing, inspired me to pull out my 4x3 copy of this title last night, and I watched the first two episodes. Interestingly, the opening titles are in widescreen, and I can see where the framing of the actual film could work with either 1.33:1 or 1.78:1. There were some shots that may look too tight in widescreen, but overall it would probably look okay in that ratio.

The picture quality was watchable upconverted to 1080p, but a good HD transfer would be a noticeable improvement, IMO.

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,415 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric F 

If you're interested in a good series with lots of this kind of footage, might I recommend Discovery Channel's, When We Left Earth, The NASA Missions. No, it's not the same, but it's entertaining nonetheless.
Since this was recently available on Amazon for about $21-22, I've already ordered it.  It was one of those "takes a week or two before it ship".  Not sure if the deal is still available.  It showed up in the bargain thread..

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,949 posts

Posted August 22 2010 - 01:56 AM

Any word on this coming to Blu-Ray? It's been a while since there has even been a suggestion of it. Just opened my original set to find that two discs are missing! No idea when that happened. I must have loaned it out years ago and got it back that way. No more loaning DVDs!

Anyway, before I buy the Signature set, any word on the BD? This year?