-

Photo
- - - - -

German "StudioCanal Collection" from Kinowelt with films from Bunuel, Kurosawa, Lynch, Pollack, Resnais, Cimino, Godard and Schloendorff

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 of 32 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,738 posts

Posted October 01 2009 - 11:18 AM

THE DEER HUNTER reportedly has pitch issues with the 5.1 English audio, while the 2.0 English track is correct.  The Studio Canal overseas HD-DVD of THE ELEPHANT MAN also had an audio pitch issue-  as did a few other Studio Canal HD-DVDs-  so I'm wondering if these Blu-ray versions correct this problem?  Seeing as how THE DEER HUNTER still seems to have this issue, it doesn't look good...

Vincent

#22 of 32 OFFLINE   Patrick Mason

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted October 01 2009 - 12:21 PM

Regarding PAL/NTSC issues when importing Blu-rays, problems can arise when a Blu-ray has PAL content that precedes the feature.  An example would be the release of "Che" in the UK, which cannot be played on an NTSC-only capable player due to the forced PAL trailers that open the disc.  I believe that particular release is Region B coded anyway, but it's still good to be aware of the possibility.

I received Ran, Contempt, and Belle de Jour from this series yesterday.  I had a chance to sample the first two.  I can't say I'll be throwing out my Criterion editions for either title, but the transfers are better than I had feared after reading some early reviews.  The Contempt transfer is certainly the bigger improvement, Ran seems to suffer from some digital manipulation but it still quite pleasing.

It would have been nice to see what Criterion had planned for these films on Blu-ray, but I'm happy overall with what's been released.  Now I just have to find time to watch them all in their entirety, along with Wizard of Oz.

#23 of 32 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,640 posts

Posted October 01 2009 - 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Mason 

Regarding PAL/NTSC issues when importing Blu-rays, problems can arise when a Blu-ray has PAL content that precedes the feature.  An example would be the release of "Che" in the UK, which cannot be played on an NTSC-only capable player due to the forced PAL trailers that open the disc.  I believe that particular release is Region B coded anyway, but it's still good to be aware of the possibility.

The PAL (supposedly, see above) extras on my Life on Mars BDs do not produce visible video output, but the sound tracks are audible in a quite normal way.
So, why not play those (forced) trailers and wait until the feature begins?

Of course, if it's region-B locked that would be quite another problem....

Cees

#24 of 32 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,454 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted November 11 2009 - 02:31 AM

Play.com is listing extras for the next wave due in the UK from Optimum February:

The Ladykillers
* Filmed interviews with: Allan Scott, Terence Davies and Ronald Harwood
* Audio Commentary with Philip Kemp: Mackendrick/Ladykillers expert
* Interview with James Mangold - BD live option only
* Forever Ealing Documentary (49:37)
* Introduction to The LadyKillers by Terry Gilliam (it’s 2′27″)
* HD Trailer

The Go-Between
# Filmed interviews with Josh Losey, Michael Billington, Patricia Losey, Gerry Fisher and John Heyman
# Horlicks advert directed by Joseph Losey
# Audio recording with Joseph Losey interviewed by Dilys Powell in 1973
# HD Trailer

Pierrot Le Fou
* Colin Maccabe Introduction (3min15)
* Comments by J.B. Pouy (01'45'00) (commentary surely?)
* Trailer (2')
* TV spot (German)
* Posters (2)
* Godard, l'amour, la poésie

Breathless
# Colin Maccabe Introduction (3min15)
# Chambre 12 (1h18)
# Photo Gallery (103)
# Trailer (2min5)
# Jean-Luc selon Luc
# Godard et l'Amérique
# Posters (2)
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#25 of 32 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted November 11 2009 - 02:40 AM

Too bad Optimum region locks most of their releases.

I'd kill to get The Ladykillers on BD given they don't botch it up.

Death before Streaming!

#26 of 32 OFFLINE   ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted December 03 2009 - 10:36 PM

The next wave, available 02/18/2010:

Sehnsucht / Senso” [I 1954, Luchino Visconti]
  • 1.33:1 | 1080/24p
  • German + Italian + French dts-HD Master Audio Mono
  • Subtitles: German + French
  • “Francesco Rosi: Visconti, mein Lehrer”
  • “Marco Tullio Giordana: Visconti zwischen Film und Oper”
  • 20-seitiges Booklet mit einem Text des Filmkritikers und -wissenschaftlers Philip Kemp
  • BD-Live

Ladykillers / The Ladykillers” [UK 1955, Alexander Mackendrick]
  • German + English + French + Spanish dts-HD Master Audio Mono
  • Subtitles: German + Danish + Finnish + French + Dutch + Japanese + Norwegian + Spanish + Swedish
  • Einführung von Terry Gilliam
  • Audiokommentar von Philip Kemp
  • Dokumentation “Forever Ealing”
  • Interview mit Allan Scott
  • Interview mit Ronald Harwood
  • Interview mit Terence Davies
  • “Cleaning up ‘The Ladykillers’”
  • 20-seitiges Booklet mit einem Text des Filmkritikers und -wissenschaftlers David Parkinson
  • Trailer
  • BD-Live

Außer Atem / À bout de souffle” [F 1960, Jean-Luc Godard]
  • German + French + Spanish dts-HD Master Audio Mono
  • Subtitles: German + English + Dutch + Japanese + Portuguese + Spanish + Turkish
  • Einführung von Colin MacCabe
  • “Chambre 12, Hôtel de Suède” – Über die Dreharbeiten mit Interviews von Crew und Darstellern
  • Kurzfilm “Luc und wie er Jean-Luc sieht”
  • Fotogalerie
  • Poster
  • Godard, Made in USA”
  • 20-seitiges Booklet mit einem Text des Chefredakteurs von “L’Avant-scène Cinéma” Yves Alion
  • Trailer
  • BD-Live

Elf Uhr nachts / Pierrot le fou” [F / I 1965, Jean-Luc Godard]
  • 2.35:1 | 1080/24p
  • German + French + English + Spanish dts-HD Master Audio Mono
  • Subtitles: German + Danish + English + Finnish + French + Dutch + Japanese + Norwegian + Portuguese + Swedish + Spanish
  • Einführung von Colin MacCabe
  • “Godard, Liebe und Dichtung”
  • Filmanalyse von Jean- Bernard Pouy
  • Deutscher TV-Spot
  • Poster
  • 20-seitiges Booklet mit einem Text des Filmwissenschaftlers Roland-Francois Lack
  • Trailer
  • BD-Live

Der Mittler / The Go-Between” [UK 1970, Joseph Losey]
  • 1.85:1 | 1080/24p
  • German + English + Spanish dts-HD Master Audio Mono
  • Subtitles: German + Danish + Finnish + Dutch + Nowegian + Spanish + Swedish
  • Interview mit Gerry Fisher
  • Interview mit John Heyman
  • “Horlicks”-Werbung von Joseph Losey
  • Audioaufnahme eines Interviews mit Joseph Losey von Dilys Powell von 1973
  • 20-seitiges Booklet mit Texten von Joseph Loseys Sohn Gavrik und den Sight & Sound-Autoren Dylan
  • Cave und Nick James
  • Trailer
  • BD-Live
http://www.dvduell.d...-kinowelt.jpg">

#27 of 32 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted December 03 2009 - 11:56 PM

I'm counting on some version of Senso having english subs, and I'm troubled by the fact that its only been announced for Germany and France, no-one jinx it for me.

#28 of 32 OFFLINE   ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted December 04 2009 - 01:12 AM

When you hope for a "StudioCanal Collection" release with English subtitles in another country and the details from Kinowelt are correct, than it will not happen! The discs from this series have different dustributors in different countries (UK: Optimum Releasing, GER: Kinowelt, USA: Lionsgate, F: StudioCanal), but the discs are the same, complete with various menues and subtitles.

It's strange that Optimum will not release this title on Blu-ray. As it seems, there is a British Optimum/StudioCanal DVD release from 2007.

#29 of 32 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,204 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 04 2009 - 02:55 AM

Criterion will be releasing Senso at some point in the US as well. Whether it'll go Blu or not is another matter.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#30 of 32 ONLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted May 24 2013 - 04:32 PM

Just got Condor in the German release (by accident, I thought I had gotten the UK version).

The only reason I got it was for the Pollack commentary, which is here and the menus are in english (you choose "Australia" in the first screen)

The odd thing is that he sounds weird, and I realized that it's because his track was recorded for PAL and is now being run 4% slower at 24 frame and he sounds groggy. You'd think that now the track won't line up and that if they sped him up to match the frame rate everything would work, but I'm just glad to have this track finally. Pollack's tracks are amazing.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#31 of 32 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,454 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 25 2013 - 01:25 AM

Coincidentally I've just bought the Paramount disc to go alongside my Studio Canal set; it's terribly anal, but the missing on-screen subtitles for a couple of lines in French bugged the hell out of me. Side by side, I think I prefer the Paramount transfer, but like you Moe, I'm also very glad to have the Pollack commentary.

Edited by John Hodson, May 25 2013 - 01:26 AM.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#32 of 32 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted May 25 2013 - 01:29 PM

We are just lucky that WB did the reissue and we can get it for a reasonable price. I prefer the Paramount too, and somehow I feel better seeing that Par logo. But I suppose old Dino sold this one off piecemeal so it wasnt really a Par film anyway
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users