Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

replacement sub woofer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   jmover52

jmover52

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted July 16 2009 - 03:47 AM

Hello,
I have a JBL scs 145.5   5.1 surround system that I originally paid about $350.00 for. The sub woofer is now making a squeal type sound, and I've been advised that it's probably not worth repairing. ( repair cost being more than it's probably worth).

I really have been happy with this low priced JBL system. What would you recomend for a replacement sub for hopefully $100-$150  that would be campatable with whats left of the JBL system, and would be similar in performance to the 100 watt, 8" jbl sub that is dying? 

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   AudioENG

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted July 16 2009 - 01:08 PM

There are a few good choices for subs that would probably match the quality of the JBL.  Take a look at this site.

http://www.onecall.c...s=p_CartPrice|0

The Boston, Sony, and Polk seem like good buys.  My brother actually has the 12" sony and it really puts out some bass.  This might be too big compared to your last one though, u might want to stay with an 8" or 10" especially since your satalite speakers are small, you want the bass unit to contribute some of the higher mid bass tones.  I think Sony makes an 8" and a 10" that are less than 100 dollars.

http://www.amazon.co...099&sort=pmrank

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   MaxL

MaxL

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted July 16 2009 - 03:53 PM

check out the dayton subs at partsexpress.com.  good for their price points, 8-12" models avail.  not junk at all.  you will want to check that you are not crossed over too low so you're not missing mid bass in the low 100hz region.
HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   MaxL

MaxL

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted July 16 2009 - 03:54 PM

oops.. accidental click....
HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   jmover52

jmover52

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted July 17 2009 - 12:48 AM

How do I check the crossover?

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   AudioENG

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted July 17 2009 - 03:49 AM

When you get your replacement sub there will be a knob on the back of it for crossover frequency.  Most have an adjustable crossover from 40 to 140 Hz.  You ideally want to set this close to where your front speakers leave off.  Like max said for this system you probably want to set it somewhere in the low 100 Hz area.  But once you get it and hook it up, play something you are familiar with and see what sounds best. 

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   jmover52

jmover52

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted July 17 2009 - 10:08 AM

Does that only apply to subs with no lfe input? Speaking of that I think I read that if no lfe you can just plug your cable into the left channel input in the back panel of the sub. Is that correct?

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

• 1,573 posts

Posted July 17 2009 - 10:54 AM

If your receiver has a subwoofer output, like they almost all have had for a dozen years, one would usually disable the crossover on the sub, leave it turned all the way up if it can't be defeated.  Some subs have an "LFE input" which bypasses the crossover.

The crossover on the receiver already reduces subwoofer output above some (usually settable in the receiver setup menu) frequency.  You don't need the subwoofer crossover as well; cascading them would make the output drop faster and maybe not get the intended blend between sub & main speaker output in the overlapping region.  For small satellites like this system, the receiver setting should be fairly high (at least 120, maybe 150/160 hz)

The crossover setting on the sub is for situations where you have an old stereo receiver or the like, that doesn't have a crossed-over sub output, when you are running full-range signal off a main pre-out or speaker-level out.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   jmover52

jmover52

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 03:08 AM

thanks for the information. My only other question has to do with the LFE input jack. Some of the subs don't seem to have a dedicated LFE jack. As my received does have it how do I connect a sub without LFE plug to my receiver?

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted July 20 2009 - 03:16 AM

It has been years since I have seen a sub without  a line input (unless it was a passive sub).  It may not be labled LFE but as long as it has RCA jacks for inputs, you are OK.  Connect your LFE to either the right or left and it will work.  Others may tell you to use a Y adapter to connect your LFE to both inputs but that is not necessary.  If you pull the sub amp from the cabinet you will find that both the R and L inputs are summed after entering the amp.

-Robert

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   jmover52

jmover52

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted July 20 2009 - 06:30 AM

thanks Robert_J
that makes me feel more confident about buying what I think i want.
I have narrowed the search down to Dayton at partexpress http://www.parts-exp...33&ctab=13#Tabs

and the speaker company http://www.thespeake...woofer-P62.aspx

Please take at look at these and tell me what you think.

thanks again for all the input

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted July 20 2009 - 07:44 AM

I would choose the Dayton based on the reputation of PE alone.  I've been buying speaker building parts from them going back to the late '80's.

-Robert