What's new

Any word on whether Spiderman '67 will be re-released? (1 Viewer)

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Just curious if anyone has heard if the classic '67 cartoon will be rereleased. It would be great to see the series COMPLETELY remastered unlike discs five and sixth in the first set that looked questionable at best. It also would be nice to see all of the episode promos and interviews with the surviving cast in addition to a retrospect special. I think alot of fans were disappointed those were missing in the initial release. Any tidbits of news would be encouraging.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Well, how much bad news can you stomach?

Last I heard, Disney still has the rights to Spider-Man '67 and their desire to re-issue anything on DVD is not high. A few Spider-Man '67 episodes were packaged on later, more current releases, but no word on a re-issue.

Disney is funny about TV on DVD. The Treasures collection is excellent, but they've never finished a lot of their 80s cartoons runs such as Gargoyles, Gummi Bears, et al. Then there was the whole Boy Meets World fiasco where they never finished the show on DVD, then once the show was licensed out, they discontinued all their previous releases.

As I said, they're funny about it.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing Disney still has the rights. They acquired pretty much all the Marvel animation up through the late 90's when they bought out Fox Family (who owned Saban who in turn owned all the Marvel stuff) and turned it into ABC Family.

Marvel was never happy with this deal and they wanted a bigger piece and as far as I can tell Disney pulled all their Marvel products due to the thread of legal action on Marvel's part. I think it was just a matter of dollars and sense and the benefits fo having this stuff on store shelves was just a drop in the bucket for such a huge corporation when the alternative meant possible litigation. I believe this is also why their two releases of "The Tick" were missing episodes as they featured obvious/blatant Marvel homages. If it was something that might bring a Marvel lawsuit Disney just yanked it.

They recently started releasing the X-Men cartoon and this is obviously Marvel/Saban so I'm thinking they may have worked things out with Marvel and/or stopped worrying about getting sued but even if they did start releasing Saban stuff I imagine there would be like a 99% chance they'd just start manufacturing their existing releases for starters, especially in a case like this where the full '67 series was released on DVD.

I have the OOP box set of the '67 series so it's a non-issue for me. All I want is for them to finish "The Tick". They could put out the 10-episode Season 3 and throw on the 2 "lost" episodes and all 3 volumes would have 12 episodes each and the full series would be available.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I have that set too and wouldn't mind a newer release but all I really want is all the Marvel stuff from the 80's Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends and The Incredible Hulk.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I also have the 67 Collection and am very pleased with it, despite the poor quality transfers for some episodes. I do wish we'd get a release for the 60s Fantastic Four cartoon series. I loved that show

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:
They recently started releasing the X-Men cartoon and this is obviously Marvel/Saban so I'm thinking they may have worked things out with Marvel and/or stopped worrying about getting sued but even if they did start releasing Saban stuff I imagine there would be like a 99% chance they'd just start manufacturing their existing releases for starters, especially in a case like this where the full '67 series was released on DVD.
Marvel and Disney have definitely worked something out. Not only is Disney now releasing the 90's X-Men cartoon on DVD, Marvel is also streaming the show at Marvel.com. The X-Men DVD releases sold almost twice as much as what Disney projected them to so I expect we will be seeing them release more Marvel stuff. And it seems like it would be REALLY easy to re-release the 67 collection. Fingers crossed.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Region 2 ( U.K.) is getting volumes of the Original Spiderman released this summer:

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=R2&searchstring=original+spider-man&page=search&pa=search&go.x=0&go.y=0

when Amazon.co.uk gets the listings, they'll ship to North America.
the disc play in any region free player.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I have the set as well and I am quite pleased with it. The lack of extras is no BFD and I would not double dip if it was re-released with extras. When Ralph Bakshi took over, he reduced production quality dramatically, which resulted in a cheap production. I don't think the problem is with the transfer as much as it is with the source as it is some of these episodes that are not quite up to par with the others. These are the best these cartoons have ever looked and I doubt that any improvement would be worth a double dip, since it would be marginal at best.

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Originally Posted by derosa

Region 2 ( U.K.) is getting volumes of the Original Spiderman released this summer:

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=R2&searchstring=original+spider-man&page=search&pa=search&go.x=0&go.y=0

when Amazon.co.uk gets the listings, they'll ship to North America.
the disc play in any region free player.
Interesting! Thanks for the links. Yeah without a doubt I am very glad I have the original boxset that came out a few years back because, if these links are any indication, you may not see the whole series released like that ever again. I remember thinking at the time what an incredible value it was to have the ENTIRE series remastered for $40.00. Now you might get a little better than one season for that same money if your lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks