-

Photo

Problems with Deep Discount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   SeanC

SeanC

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted July 14 2009 - 06:27 AM

I love Deep Discount, but suddenly I'm having a lot of problems with them. A TV show set was shipped to me on June 25, and I still haven't received it. Normally, it takes less than a week for me to get something from them. I emailed them after 10 business days, and got a response saying it would take up to 15 days, and if after 15 days I still haven't received it, email them to confirm my address. Of course its the right address, they already sent me the first half of the order! (And I got it in 4 days!) Now another order has shipped, which should have been here by now, and it isn't. Plus, this morning I got an email from them saying as per my request, they had cancelled another order of mine, even though I never sent them any such email. I'm waiting to hear back from them about that. I just want to know, are these just isolated incidents that are randomly happening to me, or is something going on with the company? I'm started to get really annoyed!!

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   SeanC

SeanC

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted July 14 2009 - 09:51 AM

Okay, I got an answer about my order being cancelled. It seems like it may have happened to others too, because I got a mass email about it, and then a reply to my answer, stating the same thing:
 Earlier today, you may have received an email about your backorder or preorder being cancelled. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please rest assured that your order is not cancelled and will ship when the merchandise is available.
That makes me feel better about that at least! Now I just need to wait and see how my missing orders play out...

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,640 posts

Posted July 14 2009 - 10:19 AM

Apart from a very occasionally and easily to understand error, I can honestly say I never had problems with DD. And the one time a shipment didn't arrive (overseas in my case!) they solved it elegantly.

Unfortunately, they're right to ask you to wait a few days more. Last week I had a package (not from DD, but Amazon) that took 6 weeks (!!!) to arrive at my door while parcels that were sent later arrived in good order well before it.
(And when it finally arrived, the paperwork showed it was sent indeed on the day reported to me.)

Cees

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   SeanC

SeanC

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted July 14 2009 - 01:45 PM

Yeah, I've never had any real problems either until now. I'm trying not to get frustrated!! There's still about 3 more days before its 15 days, so hopefully it'll be here by then!

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,512 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 16 2009 - 04:54 AM

The only issue I have with Deep Discount is that shipping times are very long and unpredictable, but I expect it and deal with it. While my Amazon orders (using free shipping) almost always arrive within 3 days of receiving a shipping notice email, DDD orders can take over 3 weeks from the time I receive a shipping notice. I do not experience this delay with any other online vendor, regardless of the shipping method used.

Anyway, since I expect this delay to occur, I only order items that I have no real urgency to receive. It's rare that I have to have an item quickly anyway, so this is not a major issue for me.

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   SeanC

SeanC

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted July 16 2009 - 06:23 AM

I finally received my order today, 15 business days after exactly. I've had to wait a while for orders from them, but never this long! I think it was because of how they mailed it. Instead of a box, they put it in a plastic tray and then in a slick white envelope. But it's okay, I'm just glad that it came, and wasn't lost or anything. I'll just have to be more patient with the other shipments

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit

• 301 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted July 21 2009 - 03:32 PM

For what it's worth-I live in the same area code as DD (approx 24 miles away from their warehouse) and it's taken me 30 days to get a single DVD delivered. I believe it's a problem with the main post office they use-the hub post office where stuff from suburbs around here ends up before it goes out to the appropriate post office for delivery. Packages don't go direct from one post office to another according to newspaper reports. The mail service in the Chicago area was the worst in the country for quite a while. The Postmaster General had to visit Chicago area post offices due to the many complaints sent to our elected representatives in D.C. Postmaster basically called the employees lazy (performing their jobs"with no sense of urgency" was his p.c. way of putting it) and they've improved some but not all that much (5 days for a letter to be delivered within my town is still not uncommon). DD would mail things in a timely fashion but I usually wouldn't get it for it three weeks. Another thing I've noticed is large packages (boxed sets, multiple single DVDs) would arrive much faster than single/small packages. My guess is they move the bulky stuff out (I imagine it would build up pretty quickly) and the small stuff sits until they get around to it. Twice DD sent replacements after 15 days and the original order showed up a few days after I received the second order. I'm pretty confident the problem is with the post office here. I've seen posts here and elsewhere from people who live nearby complaining about long delivery times. With tracking numbers I've tracked some packages and watched them bounce from one post office to another and back again before being delivered. I should add that I rarely have a problem with stuff shipped from NY, NJ, CA, Europe, etc.

Edited by Eric Vedowski - 7/22/2009 at 04:37 pm GMT

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted July 24 2009 - 08:01 AM

When they have a good price on a set I just accept the fact that the long delivery time is the price to pay to get that price I don't mind waiting. I just picked up the new Lucy Show set for $20 I can't get it anywhere for that price.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   Matt C

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 07:40 AM

Has anyone made any recent purchases with Deepdiscount.com?  The last time I made a purchase with them was years ago, though with no problems. 

I was thinking of making some new purchases with them, as I can save $15-20 off various boxsets.  However, when I checked current online ratings and feedback for the store they were filled with horror stories.  Any recent experiences?

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,862 posts

Posted January 12 2010 - 11:24 AM

Didn't have much trouble w/ BD/DVD purchases other than the usual slowness, but definitely do not buy SACDs from them unless you feel lucky.

I (and some others like Mike Frezon) ordered an SACD (Thelonious Monk's Straight, No Chaser) during their last semi-annual sale (just before Black Friday), and they took forever to fill that part of the order w/ the *wrong* version of the album, ie. they sent me the regular CD version instead of SACD.  I still need to contact them about the wrong version they sent me, but for the relatively cheap price, I'm wondering if it's really worth the hassle to get it exchanged -- that is, if they even actually carry that SACD at all.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,419 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 12 2010 - 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong 

Didn't have much trouble w/ BD/DVD purchases other than the usual slowness, but definitely do not buy SACDs from them unless you feel lucky.

I (and some others like Mike Frezon) ordered an SACD (Thelonious Monk's Straight, No Chaser) during their last semi-annual sale (just before Black Friday), and they took forever to fill that part of the order w/ the *wrong* version of the album, ie. they sent me the regular CD version instead of SACD.  I still need to contact them about the wrong version they sent me, but for the relatively cheap price, I'm wondering if it's really worth the hassle to get it exchanged -- that is, if they even actually carry that SACD at all.

Yup.  They completely have misinformation about SACDs up on their website.  I ordered three or four SACDs from DD before Christmas and got four CDs instead.  I had to send them all back as their customer servgice informed me they didn't have SACDs in stock after several days of getting in touch with the warehouse.  Too their credit, they took my phone number and called me back to give me the info...but it was a waste of my time and effort. 

Don't know how I found this thread.  Maybe my ears were burning...  /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   Matt C

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted January 13 2010 - 01:23 AM

Thanks Man and Mike for the feedback!  I have decided to order from deepdiscount through their amazon.com storefront, figuring that will give me an additional layer of protection (via Amazon's A-to-z guarantee protection program).  I don't mind if the shipping is slow (within reason), only that I get what I payed for!

One thing I do not understand is the differing prices from deepdiscount between their own website, and the amazon storefront (many items I found were actually listed cheaper in the amazon storefront than on deepdiscount.com).  Odd, but I'll take the addition couple dollars off! /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif  That being said, I have ordered about a quarter of what I intend to buy, to give them a test-run.  Thanks again!

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,862 posts

Posted January 14 2010 - 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon ">

Yup.  They completely have misinformation about SACDs up on their website.  I ordered three or four SACDs from DD before Christmas and got four CDs instead.  I had to send them all back as their customer servgice informed me they didn't have SACDs in stock after several days of getting in touch with the warehouse.  Too their credit, they took my phone number and called me back to give me the info...but it was a waste of my time and effort. 

Yeah, since I only tried buying one SACD for something like ~$5 net cost (after hearing your initial problems w/ them) and did not previously own the CD version, I may just keep it and move on.  I don't have a whole lot of time to sit down and fully appreciate SACDs these days anyhow -- and that wasn't even a hybrid SACD.

I thought it was a safe choice though (and did not risk it w/ some others that I thought were suspect) since their site showed the right SACD cover artwork, seemingly correct catalog number, etc. and the fact it was supposed to be SACD-only, not hybrid.  The cheap price was also reasonably in line w/ some other sites for that particular case, not waaaaay cheaper.  IIRC, I think I also needed something to bump the order over the $25 mark to use the $5 coupon that was floating around at the time.

Anyway, no more SACD orders w. them for me for the forseeable future.

Don't know how I found this thread.  Maybe my ears were burning...  <br /></span>
<br />
 </div></div>
Haha...  One wonders... /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif <br /></span>
<br />
<br />
<div class=Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt C ">

Thanks Man and Mike for the feedback!  I have decided to order from deepdiscount through their amazon.com storefront, figuring that will give me an additional layer of protection (via Amazon's A-to-z guarantee protection program).  I don't mind if the shipping is slow (within reason), only that I get what I payed for!

One thing I do not understand is the differing prices from deepdiscount between their own website, and the amazon storefront (many items I found were actually listed cheaper in the amazon storefront than on deepdiscount.com).  Odd, but I'll take the addition couple dollars off!   That being said, I have ordered about a quarter of what I intend to buy, to give them a test-run.  Thanks again!<br /></span>
 </div></div>
Doesn't the Amazon storefront always charge $3 per title shipped (w// no shipping discounts for additional titles)?  I haven't checked their storefront, but that's how Amazon storefronts usually work.<br />
<br />
DD offers free shipping w/ no minimums via their own site, if you don't mind the wait.  And faster, paid shipping is probably still cheaper than what Amazon storefront typically charges, if you order more than one title.<br />
<br />
That diff in shipping *might* account for much of the diff in pricing of the individual titles.<br />
<br />
_Man_<br />

<br />

</div>

<div class= Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   Matt C

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted January 15 2010 - 02:26 AM

Quote:
Doesn't the Amazon storefront always charge $3 per title shipped (w// no shipping discounts for additional titles)?  I haven't checked their storefront, but that's how Amazon storefronts usually work.

DD offers free shipping w/ no minimums via their own site, if you don't mind the wait.  And faster, paid shipping is probably still cheaper than what Amazon storefront typically charges, if you order more than one title.

That diff in shipping *might* account for much of the diff in pricing of the individual titles.

_Man_
Ah, yeah, it seems that you are correct; the price differences seemed to be about equal to shipping costs.  I'll check into that a bit more carefully later today.  Assuming the order goes well I will likely order directly through their website for the rest of the boxsets I'm looking for.  Thanks again!

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,570 posts

Posted January 16 2010 - 05:34 PM

I have found the Amazon Marketplace prices are often still lower, sometimes by quite a bit.  Sometimes prices there are so absurdly low, even with the $3 shipping that they are still the best deal I find.  I have a mountain of SACDs I got for $6 or less.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   Jon Baker

Jon Baker

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted November 28 2010 - 04:54 AM

Does anyone know why Deep Discount is charging tax for out-of-state buyers?

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,862 posts

Posted November 28 2010 - 05:09 AM

Are you sure you're (still) out-of-state?  DD (along w/ its parent company) was recently acquired by Infinity Resources, so maybe that could explain a change for you.  According to the DD site, they currently charge sales tax to California customers, which they might not have before.

http://www.deepdisco...les-tax-policy/

_Man_

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,322 posts

Posted December 09 2010 - 03:58 AM

i have used Deep discount and i find their site very problemmatic. I tried to cancel the order and went out and cancel, but, the order still showed as open. I tried contact them via email and never received a response. The DVD was shipped even though i did not want the dvd.

I used the company for WB on demand sets and i decided to cancel the order and again i had tons of problem with cancelation process. The set was set again even though i did not want the set. I have tons of emails to them, but never heard one response. The upsetting fact happen today when i was told two other dvd in my order basket are on back order. I subsequently sent an email saying that this order should be cancel and told them to check their logs.

I tried contacting them by phone but you are just put on hold. At this point i have given up on the company and will take the sets when or if the arrive. I will neve use this company again. I am going to go back to amazon, because it is better run and you are able to get customer service responses and problem resolutions quicker.

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,862 posts

Posted December 09 2010 - 09:18 AM

FWIW, I always use DD's on-site CSR page to initiate contact about issues, and they usually respond to that w/in 1-2 business days.  After that initial contact, they track each issue w/ a ticket number (at least for some "active" period), and if you respond to their emails containing that ticket #, they will follow up accordingly -- subsequent response times to emails can vary a bit more.

If you go to Help (usually at the bottom of each page) and then go to Contact Us (in the left panel), you should find the CSR page.  Here's a direct link for you to try:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/contactus/

Make sure you include the correct order # for concerns w/ an existing order.

Also, based on my experiences, you should expect their 1st email to be a simple confirmation of receiving your initial contact (that's sent out w/in a couple hours) -- strangely, that confirmation doesn't include any details about your message, so if you initiated multiple contacts, you can't really tell which one is getting confirmation from this.  Their 1st actual response (w/in 1-2 business days) will likely be a relatively canned one regardless of what you say in your message -- that's what I noticed.  You'll probably need to respond to that to get more specific attention/resolution to your concern.

Hope that helps...

_Man_

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,322 posts

Posted December 09 2010 - 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool 

FWIW, I always use DD's on-site CSR page to initiate contact about issues, and they usually respond to that w/in 1-2 business days.  After that initial contact, they track each issue w/ a ticket number (at least for some "active" period), and if you respond to their emails containing that ticket #, they will follow up accordingly -- subsequent response times to emails can vary a bit more.

If you go to Help (usually at the bottom of each page) and then go to Contact Us (in the left panel), you should find the CSR page.  Here's a direct link for you to try:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/contactus/

Make sure you include the correct order # for concerns w/ an existing order.

Also, based on my experiences, you should expect their 1st email to be a simple confirmation of receiving your initial contact (that's sent out w/in a couple hours) -- strangely, that confirmation doesn't include any details about your message, so if you initiated multiple contacts, you can't really tell which one is getting confirmation from this.  Their 1st actual response (w/in 1-2 business days) will likely be a relatively canned one regardless of what you say in your message -- that's what I noticed.  You'll probably need to respond to that to get more specific attention/resolution to your concern.

Hope that helps...

_Man_

Thanks for the info!

I have given up on their customer support. I have just accepted the dvds will be sent and i will just  not used them again. If i can not trust their site, especially the cancellation process then i will not used them again. I will go back to amazon.com because they are mor responsive.

Regards,

Paul Young