Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Press Release: An American Werewolf In London - Full Moon Edition (DVD/Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,572 posts

Posted July 13 2009 - 06:14 AM

Posted Image 

AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME ON BLU-RAY™HI-DEF

AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON –

FULL MOON EDITION

SEPTEMBER 15, 2009

OWN IT ON BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF AND 2-DISC DVD

FROM UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

OVERVIEW: One of the most gripping horror films of all-time is now available in perfect picture and purest

digital sound on Blu-ray Hi-Def and DVD – An American Werewolf in London Full Moon Edition! When two

American students touring London are attacked by a vicious wolf during a full moon, their lives are suddenly

transformed forever. Featuring ground-breaking Academy Award®-winning make-up by Rick Baker (Michael

Jackson’s “Thriller,” How The Grinch Stole Christmas), this cult favorite is directed by John Landis (Michael

Jackson’s “Thriller,” National Lampoon’s Animal House) and perfectly blends the macabre with a touch of

humor. Digitally remastered for optimum picture quality and loaded with bonus features including an all-new

100-minute retrospective documentary, An American Werewolf in London - Full Moon Edition is a timeless

story that has never looked better!

EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAYTM HI-DEF:

• BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to get even

more content, watch the latest trailers, and more!

BONUS FEATURES (BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF and DVD):

• NEW! - BEWARE THE MOON: In this feature-length documentary, filmmaker Paul Davis guides

us through a never-before-seen, in-depth look at the Making of An American Werewolf in London,

with the help of director John Landis and make-up artist Rick Baker.

• NEW! - I WALKED WITH A WEREWOLF (IN HI-DEF): Make-up effects artist Rick Baker tells of

his life-long love of the Wolfman, how he would go on to create the creature in An American

Werewolf in London, and how he was able to pour his passion into the upcoming Wolfman feature.

• MAKING AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, AN ORIGINAL FEATURETTE

• AN INTERVIEW WITH JOHN LANDIS

• MAKE-UP ARTIST RICK BAKER ON AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON

• CASTING OF THE HAND

• OUTTAKES

• STORYBOARDS

• PHOTOGRAPH MONTAGE

• FEATURE COMMENTARY WITH CAST MEMBERS DAVID NAUGHTON AND GRIFFIN DUNNE

SYNOPSIS: It's a rainy night on the Welsh moors. Two American students on a walking tour of Europe

trudge on to the next town, when suddenly the air is pierced by an unearthly howl...Three weeks later, one is

dead, the other is in the hospital and the nightmare begins for An American Werewolf in London. David

Naughton, Griffin Dunne and Jenny Agutter star in this contemporary story of the macabre which takes you

from the Welsh moors to Picadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square and the grounds of Windsor Castle. It is written

and directed by John Landis, the man who brought you National Lampoon's Animal House, The Blues

Brothers, Trading Places, and Coming to America. To add to the chill, there is art direction by Academy

Award®-winner Les Dilley of Star Wars and Alien fame and special makeup effects by six-time Academy

Award ®-winner Rick Baker, whose work includes Star Wars, The Nutty Professor, Tim Burton's Planet of

the Apes, Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Men in Black.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION (BLU-RAY HI-DEF):

Street Date: September 15, 2009

Copyright: 2009 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved

Selection Number: 61106285

Price: $26.98 SRP

Running Time: 1 Hour, 38 Minutes

Layers: BD-50

Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 1.85:1

Rating: R

Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Swedish, Danish,

Finnish, Dutch, Norwegian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Greek

Sound: English DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1, French DTS 2.0 Mono, German DTS 2.0 Mono, Italian DTS 2.0

Mono

TECHNICAL INFORMATION (DVD):

Street Date: September 15, 2009

Copyright: 2009 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved

Selection Number: 61107947

Price: $19.98 SRP

Running Time: 1 Hour, 38 Minutes

Layers: Dual

Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1

Rating: R

Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish

Sound: English Dolby Digital 5.1; French Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono

CAST & FILMMAKERS:

Director: John Landis

Screenwriter: John Landis

Producer: George Folsey Jr.

Executive Producers: Peter Guber, Jon Peters

Director of Cinematography: Robert Paynter

Production Designer: Joyce Herlihy

Editors: Malcolm Campbell

Music: Elmer Bernstein

Costume Designer: Deborah Nadoolman

Cast: David Naughton, Griffin Dunne, Jenny Agutter

Edited by Ronald Epstein - 7/15/2009 at 02:40 pm GMT

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 38 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 13 2009 - 07:02 AM

There has been lots of scuttlebutt concerning a digital cleanup of this release, and, while I am quite interested to see the results of those efforts, I will be holding onto my HD DVD in the meantime in case things go too far.  I am hoping for the best however, and I am looking forward to the new extras.

Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#3 of 38 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,045 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 13 2009 - 08:34 AM

By the way, Universal is releasing Army of Darkness and Van Helsing the same day on BRD.  However, they're only releasing The Wolf Man (1941) that same day on DVD in a 2-disc SE and 1-disc releases.  It's too bad a classic horror film like "The Wolf Man" can't be released on BRD too.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 38 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted July 13 2009 - 08:48 AM

This release suggests that perhaps Uni isn't just porting over the same source used for the HD-DVD. I get the same vibe with their 25th Anniversary Edition of The Last Starfighter BD, but it remains to be seen.

#5 of 38 OFFLINE   Tim-H.

Tim-H.

Second Unit

• 427 posts

Posted July 13 2009 - 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

By the way, Universal is releasing Army of Darkness and Van Helsing the same day on BRD.  However, they're only releasing The Wolf Man (1941) that same day on DVD in a 2-disc SE and 1-disc releases.  It's too bad a classic horror film like "The Wolf Man" can't be released on BRD too.

Crawdaddy
Maybe by the time the 2009 Wolf Man hits Blu-ray, Universal will have some of the classics on BD to tie in? Looking forward to this release, one of my all-time faves.

Watch THE SNUGGIE KILLER on YouTube!

#6 of 38 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,461 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 13 2009 - 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford View Post

Crawdaddy

I would be all over any Classic Uni monsters on Blu-Ray.  

#7 of 38 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 13 2009 - 11:09 AM

Sold!  Easily one of my favorite 80's horror films.

Though these HD DVD to BD upgrades don't get me as excited as new to High Definition catalog titles. 

Unfortunately, not surprised at all about the lack of a Wolf Man BD.

Death before Streaming!

#8 of 38 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted July 13 2009 - 12:18 PM

Fantastic news, and it has my hopes up that John Landis may similarly grace us with INNOCENT BLOOD (Landis' vampire film with "La Femme Nikita" herself Anne Parillaud). I've always wanted to see the longer European cut of INNOCENT BLOOD, for instance. I do NOT want the short American version to be the version that comes to BluRay. It's only about 3 minutes longer, but in a horror film that can mean a lot.

For the longest time I thought the male lead in INNOCENT BLOOD was one of the Baldwin brothers, but it turns out Anthony LaPaglia is not a Baldwin. Just looks like one.

Come on Landis!

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#9 of 38 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted July 13 2009 - 01:01 PM

I guess I can now retire the DVD. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif">  Here's another vote for "Innocent Blood" too. <br /></span>

<br />

</div>

<div class=
Recently watched- Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#10 of 38 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted July 14 2009 - 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

Crawdaddy
I agree, I had hoped that at least the original would be released on Blu, and maybe a title like An American Werewolf... with it. Strange it's the other way around.
But anyway, I am a casual monster movie fan (if there is such a thing) and I somehow managed to have never seen this, so my expectations are pretty high for this.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#11 of 38 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted July 14 2009 - 02:24 PM

Sweet! There's gonna' be a Bad Moon Risin' come Sept./img/vbsmilies/htf/cool.gif

#12 of 38 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 14 2009 - 09:38 PM

I'm glad I have my HD DVD because I have a feeling this Bd is going to be scrubbed silly.
Sometimes the comments that people post in these forums do have actual consequences and the majority of comments that I saw about the first release was that is was too grainy, too old looking, needed a new master, and on and on- along with a generous helping of format antagonists that held this up as an example that the only HD DVD exclusive studio was doing a lousy job with their product.

I'm sure Universal saw those complaints and is ready to give people the image they profess they want now.

#13 of 38 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 15 2009 - 12:14 AM

I seem to remember there were similar complaints about the 12 Monkeys HD DVD so it'll be interesting when I get the BD in the next week or so and I can compare between the two on my system.

I'll be doing the same with An American Werewolf in Sept.  Hopefully this isn't "scrubbed silly" given Landis was involved. 

Then again seeing what Friedkin did with The French Connection [SHUDDERS] anything is possible.

Death before Streaming!

#14 of 38 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 15 2009 - 12:59 AM

The comments Landis made on bloody-disgusting.com give me cause to worry a bit
he continues talking about the incredible Blu-ray transfer for the original film, "regardless, my film comes out on Blu-ray this summer and looks amazing. I was afraid the digital cleaning of the negative would result in too clear a picture and hurt Rick Baker's make-up, when in fact the incredibly crisp detail actually makes Rick stuff look even better!"

#15 of 38 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 15 2009 - 01:07 AM

The comments Landis made on bloody-digusting.com cause me to worry a bit

Quote:
he continues talking about the incredible Blu-ray transfer for the original film, "regardless, my film comes out on Blu-ray this summer and looks amazing. I was afraid the digital cleaning of the negative would result in too clear a picture and hurt Rick Baker's make-up, when in fact the incredibly crisp detail actually makes Rick stuff look even better!"
 I've seen the cover art for the Bd and to me it looks great- huge improvement over the previous money shot hodge podge. And the extras sound great. I would likely be all over this even just as a saftey in case something happens to my HD DVD copy- but I dreading seeing  what's been done to it to make it palatable for the majority of bd buyers.
Well just have to see I guess.

I'm also curious what you find with 12 Monkeys.

#16 of 38 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 15 2009 - 11:51 PM

Yeah, I guess I can see your concern with those comments. 

Digital cleaning could simply be dirt/scratch removal
or it could involve light grain removal or moderate grain removal or heavy grain removal

Nothing to do but wait to see what they've done I guess.

Death before Streaming!

#17 of 38 OFFLINE   DavidS

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted July 16 2009 - 12:43 AM

Of course, no one's commenting that this disc will be missing its original soundtrack, in this case mono, as per Universal's usual Blu-ray / DVD policy...

-David Shetterly
Rocky Horror Picture Show Official Fan Club
Vice President / www.RockyHorror.com Webmaster

#18 of 38 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 16 2009 - 04:34 AM

I pulled out my HD DVD last night. I've got a new projector since I last watched it, one that is more ruthlessly revealing of source issues. Up till now I've never noticed the EE on this title that some others have criticized it for. I can see it now, but for my tastes it's still verges on insignificant in terms of adding noticeable halos around objects.
However, there is no doubt to me it's there and given how much grain (noise?) there is, it has to be negatively affecting that- exacerbating it, changing it, giving it a slight digital signature. 
I've come around to thinking that maybe some of that noise is not a natural, analog characteristic of the source and could be minimized without negatively affecting the overall impression of the image.

I'm certain the image on the Bd is going to look quite a bit different from the HD DVD. I'm no longer of the mind that is going to be a full on negative though.
If they can show some restraint, this might be very admirable upgrade. 
At least that's what I'm hoping now.

As far as the audio goes- I'm more of a visual person. An audio re-mix has to be really  over the top (like the woeful ones for Grease or Jaws) for me to notice and get upset. I agree that the original mono track should always be included.
If they leave it off of Jaws then  I will be pissed.

#19 of 38 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted July 16 2009 - 05:20 AM

Landau spoke out against one of the previous DVD versions of Animal House before it got released claiming it looked too clean as they removed so much grain - they corrected the problem before the release, so my guess is the BD will not have issues like that.

#20 of 38 OFFLINE   BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted July 16 2009 - 05:29 AM

I'm just baffled by these posts - do you know what the negative looks like on this title?  Do you know what it looked like theatrically?  If not, why do you just assume it's not going to be right?  If Landis is happy with what they did, then it should be just fine, because, you know, he's the director and knows what he shot (and yes, there are directors like Friedkin who likes revisionism, but Landis isn't one of them).  Given the printing processes and opticals of the time, I'm sure that there was overt and lousy-looking grain in Werewolf, but that was just something you had to live with back then on release prints.  If it were today, you would not have that problem and it would look more like what the director and DP actually intended it to look like - back then, they had to accept the technology and if they'd had the technology you would have not seen overt grain like that.