Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Comic Con - How Do You do It?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted July 12 2009 - 02:30 PM

So, my wife and I are traveling to San Diego in two weeks. My wife got us passes for Comic Con on Friday the 24th. I've never been there, so I don't know what to expect. We looked on the website for events planned that day. My wife was interested in a panel involving "The Big Bang Theory" and there is supposedly a "24" event as well.

What do you need to do to get into those events. Is there anything else anyone here recommends? Anyone else here on the forum planning on attending?

STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted July 12 2009 - 04:17 PM

http://planet715.com...vivalguide.html

http://steamcrow.com...iego-comic-con/

http://uglycouchshow...comic-con-2009/

Read the last few days of The Beat re: Comicon Day programming:

http://pwbeat.publis...eekly.com/blog/

Also, go to Youtube and search on "comicon lines" or "san diego comicon lines" and take a gander at the insanity of the lines for the popular panels.

I'm considering going next year, haven't been there since 1996 and 1997, and I know it's a totally different experience now then it was then.  Just imagine 30,000 people at the San Diego Convention Center each day of Comicon.  Lots of people. 

Prioritize what you truly want to attend, panel-wise, and be prepared to wait in line if it's popular (look at the other panels at the same time, and do a popularity calculation as to how long you think you need to wait to get a decent seat inside the hall.

Edited by Patrick Sun - 7/13/2009 at 04:32 am GMT
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Don Solosan

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted July 12 2009 - 04:42 PM

I haven't been in years, mainly because of the crowds.  If the panel is something high-profile, you'll need to get in line well in advance if you want to guarantee that you'll get in.  Some times people get in line hours before, so you could waste the better part of a day just to see that one big event.  Some people get there early to get into the room where all the big events are scheduled and then stay all day -- although they might have started clearing it out between events.

The Big Bang panel sounds like it could be easy to get into; 24 could be difficult, particularly if they announce that the actors will be there.  So I would say choose your events with care, and be aware that getting from point A to point F can be a little like a salmon swimming upstream to spawn.  And try to have fun!

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,657 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted July 12 2009 - 05:42 PM

Saturday is the busiest day, so you might have a slightly easier time on Friday. Still, you will need to prioritize what you want to see and plan to stand in line well in advance of the start time. The more you want to see it, the earlier you should go to queue. Make a backup plan if you can't get in.

That said, I did manage to see a lot of what I wanted. Going with a friend certainly helps.

The most extreme line I was in went from the lobby area of the last meeting hall (Hall H), out the front, and wrapped around the end of the convention center to the facility's back side. Here's a photo I took, which doesn't really do it justice, but it's kind of pretty. :)

Posted Image
Quote:

I'm considering going next year, haven't been there since 1996 and 1997, and I know it's a totally different experience now then it was then.  Just imagine 30,000 people at the San Diego Convention Center each day of Comicon.  Lots of people. 
I'm thinking I will go again next year also.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted July 13 2009 - 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillG 
 Is there anything else anyone here recommends?
Secure advance permission from your spouse to ogle the costumed people to your heart's content.

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 13 2009 - 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_B View Post

Secure advance permission from your spouse to ogle the costumed people to your heart's content.

[SEXIST PIG]Over the past couple of years, the quality of costumed girls at comic conventions has really increased. It used to just be the random fat girl dressed up like some anime character. Nowadays, there's girls that are actually pretty hot.[/SEXIST PIG]

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,657 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted July 13 2009 - 03:29 PM

There are the ones who are hired by the vendors in a show of shameless pandering. :)

This photo remains my all time most viewed pic on Flickr:

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1370/956692011_8498d93201.jpg">

Then there are those who do it just for fun and have developed a following, like Christy Marie:

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted July 13 2009 - 03:35 PM

there will be some celebrities guest at the autograph section. its upstairs I beleive. you will meet all kinds of celebrities. from movies and tv shows.

Jacob

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted July 13 2009 - 05:11 PM

how much does it cost to attend these events?  i'm not necessarily interested in any of the panels, etc.  just walking around, checking out the booths, etc.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,657 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted July 13 2009 - 05:23 PM

This year the San Diego Comic-Con 4-day pass was $75

Single days:

Thurs: $25
Fri: $30
Sat: $35
Sun $20

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Jacinto

Jacinto

Second Unit

• 411 posts
  • LocationLittleton, Colorado

Posted July 14 2009 - 01:56 AM

I will be parked in Artist's Alley, table BB-12 from Thursday through Sunday, selling my wares and doing sketches. I've been attending since 1993, but this will most likely be my last year. The show has gone from Comics and Art as the focus to Hollywood and Toys in the last decade or so. The crowds have also grown exceedingly tiresome. A simple bathroom break has turned into a half-hour adventure through the streets of Pamplona. If you're at the show, stop by!

Chachi Hernandez
Illustrator