Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Pre-90s catalog on Blu - A comprehensive list

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1140 replies to this topic

#41 of 1141 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted August 21 2009 - 07:45 PM

Dumbo might be short and modest, and probably not as important as Fantasia for Blu , but I think its a beautiful piece of work.

#42 of 1141 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,598 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 24 2009 - 12:20 PM

I sincerely doubt Dumbo has been added to the Platinum/Diamond/whatever-jewel-they're-using-now Collection. A wonderful movie, yes, but it has not been out of print since 1980. I believe it's already on iTunes (although Aladdin is, too).

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#43 of 1141 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,620 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 02 2009 - 08:11 AM

Kino jumps on the Blu-ray bandwagon with plans to release The General on 11/10/09. This easily becomes the earliest film to be released on BD in the US, proceeding Snow White by 11 years.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#44 of 1141 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,620 posts

Posted September 02 2009 - 04:36 PM

It looks like Disney has Dumbo slated for February, and Fantasia (as well as Fantasia/2000) slated for May. That's definitely good news to see Disney increasing their output.

http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=17048

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#45 of 1141 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 02 2009 - 07:08 PM

I believe Sunrise (1927), which comes out on Sep 22 in the UK is the second earliest, not Snow White, but perhaps you only mean Region A.The General will be the first proper silent film on blu ray; there is an alternate silent version of Sunrise, but its proper original version has a soundtrack of synchronised effects and music, technically making it the earliest sound film on Blu i'm sure, a record its sure to keep.
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Kino jumps on the Blu-ray bandwagon with plans to release The General on 11/10/09. This easily becomes the earliest film to be released on BD in the US, proceeding Snow White by 11 years.

#46 of 1141 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,620 posts

Posted September 03 2009 - 09:10 AM

Ben, I only track Region A in this thread, but you are correct that Sunrise is being released in the UK. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

#47 of 1141 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,620 posts

Posted September 03 2009 - 09:56 AM

Lionsgate is opening the 80s floodgates in November. They'll be releasing Angel Heart, Cujo, The Monster Squad, and My Bloody Valentine on 11/24/09.

#48 of 1141 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 03 2009 - 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /img/forum/go_quote.gif"> Ben, I only track Region A in this thread, but you are correct that Sunrise is being released in the UK.

#49 of 1141 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,620 posts

Posted September 03 2009 - 10:29 PM

I had thought about including the 1990s, but a good thing happened: there were too many releases, and it became too cumbersome.

#50 of 1141 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 04 2009 - 01:29 AM

Not surprising. The 90's is where Home Video exploded, and its also the era that many ps3 owners grew up in. And, less surprisingly, its the most recent complete decade, so yeah.

The 80's is getting pretty full too, but here's hoping every decade eventually gets too huge to keep track of, which will mean we'll have a DVD-like catalogue available in high def.

#51 of 1141 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,620 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 11:12 AM

Added The Green Berets

#52 of 1141 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,838 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 08 2009 - 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rachael B /forum/thread/290295/pre-90s-catalog-on-blu-a-comprehensive-list#post_3591746 I got my Momitsu from Hong Kong Flix. That's where I got my Oppo 971 years ago. The player has worked out nicely. The Momitsu ought to play your DVD's just as well as your Oppo, I'd quesstimate.  
You got your Oppo player 971 years ago? Wow, you really were an early adopter.

#53 of 1141 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Point-Blank /forum/thread/290295/pre-90s-catalog-on-blu-a-comprehensive-list/30#post_3603940 You got your Oppo player 971 years ago? Wow, you really were an early adopter.
I heard about the OPPO 971 at AVS Forum back in '03 when it first surfaced. It wasn't very expensive so I jumped on one.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#54 of 1141 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 09 2009 - 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard about the OPPO 971...It wasn't very expensive so I jumped on one.
I was told that wasn't good for it...

#55 of 1141 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,620 posts

Posted September 16 2009 - 11:06 AM

Added:

The Twelve Chairs (1970)
Silent Movie (1976)
High Anxiety (1977)
History of the World: Part I (1981)
To Be or Not to Be (1983)

All coming 12/15/09 from Fox via the Mel Brooks Collection

#56 of 1141 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 23 2009 - 04:46 AM

Brandon, just a heads up. A slew of catalogue blus released by Studio Canal in region B territories, many of which are reported as region-A compatible; do you include those on your list then? I wasn't sure. The titles which are AB on the disc, not sure whether that correlates to actual unlockedness are: Ran (1990... Damn) Deer Hunter (1978)... Massive improvement over three-year old US blu! Le Mepris (1963).Belle du Jour and Last Year at Marienbad appear to be region-locked, if you believe the packaging, but you already have the latter via Criterion.

#57 of 1141 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,620 posts

Posted September 23 2009 - 10:57 AM

Hey Ben. Thanks for the info.

I only track US releases, but Ray is tracking other territories in another thread here and I'm sure he'd love the help: http://www.hometheat...prehensive-list

#58 of 1141 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,620 posts

Posted September 25 2009 - 07:14 AM

Added:

The Toolbox Murders (1978)

Coming 1/26/10 from Blue Underground

#59 of 1141 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,620 posts

Posted September 28 2009 - 06:51 AM

Added:

Gremlins (1984) (Warner) (Target Exclusive)

#60 of 1141 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,620 posts

Posted October 06 2009 - 02:31 PM

Added The Music Man

8 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users