Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Pre-90s catalog on Blu - A comprehensive list

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1182 replies to this topic

#21 of 1183 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 2,004 posts

Posted July 24 2009 - 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jim_K /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes but other people do.

If these lists are only intended to benefit yourself then why bother starting a thread?  Just use an Excel spreadsheet on your PC. 

If you intend these types of lists to be a useful resource for others (aside from yourself), Imports should be included - especially Region A and non-Region locked titles.

Not to mention the many non-US members we have here.

I do appreciate his list the way it is. I am pretty sure that Brandon would not mind if you would add an import list and I would like to see that one, too but I also know that it is a lot of work to cover the Blu-Ray releases of the rest of the world.

#22 of 1183 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,788 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 24 2009 - 09:54 PM

Added My Brilliant Career

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#23 of 1183 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,788 posts

Posted July 28 2009 - 07:13 AM

Added Night of the Creeps - Director's Cut

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#24 of 1183 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 718 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 28 2009 - 08:08 AM

I recently got the Blu-Ray BOYS FROM BRAZIL from England and it plays fine in my player. This film, if released in the USA, could really use a stereo remix like the early James Bond films have had. The music score survives in terrific stereo, so I think it could be done. The film seems to cry out for a better, fuller soundtrack. The Blu Ray is mono only, as the film originally was.

#25 of 1183 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,278 posts

Posted July 28 2009 - 12:38 PM

John,

Was surprised to see just how good BOYS FROM BRAZIL looks on Blu-ray.

Had it imported here as well. 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#26 of 1183 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 718 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 28 2009 - 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif

John,

Was surprised to see just how good BOYS FROM BRAZIL looks on Blu-ray.

Had it imported here as well. 
Amen, Ronald. The domestic DVD is pretty blurry and if I remember right, isn't anamorphically enhanced, so getting this with a beautiful, crisp picture was quite a treat.

#27 of 1183 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,788 posts

Posted July 29 2009 - 12:37 PM

Added Say Anything

#28 of 1183 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted August 02 2009 - 07:18 AM

Fantastic resource for Blu Ray shoppers; keep up the good work, particularly with updates, as long as possible.

#29 of 1183 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,648 posts
  • LocationKnocksville, TN

Posted August 02 2009 - 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ray_R /forum/thread/290295/pre-90s-catalog-on-blu-a-comprehensive-list#post_3585044 Did you get yours from HKFlix.com? I've been planning on buying it and from the reviews at DVDBeaver, it plays just about everything so far. I'm already region free on DVD via my Oppo. Might as well finally buy that player to play all these Blu-rays I've been buying on the inexpensive side (bargain hunting can sometimes be a pain in the ass, I ALWAYS throw away the Digital Copy bullshit and superflous crap where a booklet should've been.) So I take it this thread isn't considering imports i.e. titles from Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, UK, Germany, France, Spain and other places? Oh well, guess I'll look on theimportforums for that particular info.  
I got my Momitsu from Hong Kong Flix. That's where I got my Oppo 971 years ago. The player has worked out nicely. The Momitsu ought to play your DVD's just as well as your Oppo, I'd quesstimate.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#30 of 1183 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,728 posts

Posted August 02 2009 - 05:34 PM

Quote:
Posted by Billy Feldman: Just to be clear - many of the UK releases noted above are region-free and play in any Blu-Ray player, and that includes Iprcress, Black Narcissus, Capricorn, Zulu, and Eagle Has Landed - also have Escape From Athena and, from France, Luc Besson's Leon and The Big Blue, also region-free.  DVD Beaver has a good list of region-free imports and there are several other sites that do as well.  It's a shame, in fact, that this site doesn't.
I already had Zulu, which is phenomenal in Blu-ray, but I held off on Black Narcissus because Amazon.UK lists it as Region 2. Apparently, the movie is all-region, but the SD extras are region 2. so, I ordered it. Thanks.

#31 of 1183 OFFLINE   David Podjasek

David Podjasek

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted August 04 2009 - 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jim_K /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes but other people do.

If these lists are only intended to benefit yourself then why bother starting a thread?  Just use an Excel spreadsheet on your PC. 

If you intend these types of lists to be a useful resource for others (aside from yourself), Imports should be included - especially Region A and non-Region locked titles.

Not to mention the many non-US members we have here.

You know, I was going to criticize Jim for his unbelievably self centered viewpoint and unneccessary and inappropriate criticism of Brandon's hard (and fascinating!) work.

Instead, I think I will just thank Brandon for his hard (and fascinating!) work.

Gee, seems like a little criticism snuck in anyway... oh well.

#32 of 1183 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted August 04 2009 - 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B_K /forum/thread/290295/pre-90s-catalog-on-blu-a-comprehensive-list#post_3591891 I already had Zulu, which is phenomenal in Blu-ray, but I held off on Black Narcissus because Amazon.UK lists it as Region 2. Apparently, the movie is all-region, but the SD extras are region 2. so, I ordered it. Thanks.
I'm unsure but I'm fairly certain DVDBeaver.com has comparisons including the Blu-ray. For Black Narcissus. I DO know they have comparisons for ZULU. Quite sure they also have some for The Ipcress File but not sure. Kam & Ronson, along with Joy Sales and Fortune Star, Bruce Lee films. On DDDHouse.com The Big Boss and Fist of Fury are $30.13 each though. No idea about the release dates for Way of the Dragon, Game of Death and the Bruceploitation, Game of Death II. They're Region A and both are BD-50.

#33 of 1183 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,788 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 11:24 AM

Added:

Near Dark (1987)
Red Heat (1988)

Both coming 11/10/09 from Lionsgate

#34 of 1183 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,788 posts

Posted August 19 2009 - 09:50 AM

Looks like Disney has switched out Dumbo for Fantasia for the March 2010 release.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3294

Fantasia probably moved (tentatively) to the March 2011 slot. I'll list it as TBD.

#35 of 1183 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted August 19 2009 - 11:03 AM

I wouldn't take anything Ultimate Disney posts.. in fact I am shocked BD.com posted that story at all. It is a very odd choice DUMBO has been released 3 times on DVD that I can think of... and it isn't a huge seller at all. Very sort of low key title to release. I would buy it but... FANTASIA would out sell DUMBO any day. Very Odd news... I would rather wait to hear what the Disney company says about the release and the reason for the change since Destino was to be released along with Fantasia

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#36 of 1183 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,788 posts

Posted August 19 2009 - 11:11 AM

Well, I'm sure we'll know officially when copies of Snow White make it into hands of reviewers, as it will certainly have an ad for the next Diamond release. Until then, this list is easily edited...

#37 of 1183 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted August 19 2009 - 12:00 PM

it will more than likely be true because Fantasia is the title I want more than any other Disney title on BD... but no where does Ultimate Disney's message say that FANTASIA was canceled. It coudl be that Disney wants to release more titles per year. 2 per year is a very slow moving so I could see them hitting out some titles like Dumbo, Robin Hood, to help boost their bank account. Then again who knows. I just hope Disney makes an announcement soon and more info on Fantasia.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#38 of 1183 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,648 posts
  • LocationKnocksville, TN

Posted August 19 2009 - 12:04 PM

I'm getting The Lady Killers and The Dam Busters from the U.K. this September. They're coming out in the last two weeks of September in a row and I'll probably get 'em in the first week of Octcember....

Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#39 of 1183 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,788 posts

Posted August 19 2009 - 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger /forum/thread/290295/pre-90s-catalog-on-blu-a-comprehensive-list/30#post_3597614 it will more than likely be true because Fantasia is the title I want more than any other Disney title on BD... but no where does Ultimate Disney's message say that FANTASIA was canceled. It coudl be that Disney wants to release more titles per year. 2 per year is a very slow moving so I could see them hitting out some titles like Dumbo, Robin Hood, to help boost their bank account. Then again who knows. I just hope Disney makes an announcement soon and more info on Fantasia.
I could see this. It may be that since they are (supposedly) releasing Fantasia/2000 alongside the original film that they removed Fantasia from the Diamond Collection line. So, they could release all 3 films (Dumbo, Fantasia, Fantasia/2000) on Blu within the Q1/Q2 2010 time period and not disrupt their Diamond Collection pattern of every 6 months.

#40 of 1183 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,788 posts

Posted August 21 2009 - 09:38 AM

Added:

Rocky II (1979)
Rocky III (1982)
Rocky IV (1985)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users