Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Final Fantasy

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Mike Mallory

Mike Mallory

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted December 07 2001 - 06:06 PM

I only visit this group about once or twice a week, so maybe I missed earlier threads. I just saw this flick on PPV today and it's pretty good. In fact, it's the best sci-fi movie I've seen since "The Matrix". Sure, the human characters seem straight out of "Toy Story", but the rest of the movie is top notch. Not to mention this movie actually has a plot, which is also top notch. And innovative. Well worth the price of a DVD purchase. - Mike

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,267 posts

Posted December 07 2001 - 09:12 PM

Wow, someone besides me and maybe another person or two who actually liked the film (and thought there was a plot). I agree, it was good. Its also DEEP.

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   StephenA

StephenA

Screenwriter

• 1,514 posts

Posted December 07 2001 - 11:23 PM

I liked this movie alot too. I saw it at the theater with my sister and we were both amazed by it. I also rented it once when it first came out on DVD. Watched it with my mom and she kinda liked it.

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   ChristianW

ChristianW

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted December 08 2001 - 03:00 AM

I thought this was a good movie too. I got my copy the day it was released here in Oz, and I thought the DVD set was done quite well with a bunch of great extras.

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   Scott W.

Scott W.

Second Unit

• 319 posts

Posted December 08 2001 - 04:40 AM

I liked it. Scott

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted December 08 2001 - 11:51 AM

I thought it was pretty good too. The visuals are fantastic and the disc is really loaded with features. It was worth the money in my opinion.Posted Image
Recently watched- Lifeforce Theatrical Cut, Alexander Revisited, The Sentinel(2006), The Lovely Bones, Band Of Brothers, Scream Blacula Scream, Blacula, Maleficent 3D, Lake Placid, Running Scared(1986), Heroes: Season 2, Lock,Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, True Blood: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Star Trek Into Darkness

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific

"Since my customary farewell would appear oddly self-serving, I shall simply say...Good luck."

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   Keith_R

Keith_R

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted December 08 2001 - 12:08 PM

I rented this DVD and while I was quite impressed with the extras, I wasn't as impressed with the movie. IMO the movie was a lot better than alot of the crap out there recently but it asn't the best movie I've seen. I guess I'd say it was okay but I wouldn't buy it.
-Keith-

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted December 08 2001 - 01:07 PM

maybe we ought to star a support group for those of us who actually thought Final Fantasy was a good movie with an interesting plot, we seem to be a minority Posted Image
Geoffrey Adams

Apply Kung-Fu liberally as needed.

Visit my Web Comic!

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   Nathan A

Nathan A

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted December 08 2001 - 06:13 PM

I watched this in the theater and remember being hugely disappointed. I bought the disc anyway though, and after watching it again I loved it. It looks great, sounds great, and has a unique story which (I think) is told in an interesting way (though I'll admit many people will find it too hard to stick with it to the end). Saddened to hear they won't consider making a sequel.

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   Charles M

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted December 08 2001 - 06:25 PM

I thought the DVD was pretty good. I saw it in the theater but, didn't get the full effect because there were only ten poeple in theater when I seen it.
The only dumb question is the one you never ask...

Charles

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   DaveCheung

DaveCheung

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted December 08 2001 - 06:53 PM

I didn't care for it when I saw it in the theater, but, after watching this 2 times on disc, I think it's very good though not without major flaws. (Those opinions on the previous thread were way too harsh and critical. At least they can admit that it wasn't boring...) It's successful both as serious and entertaining sci-fi, not to mention that it also got strong visuals and sounds that look great on the HT.

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   Arvin_C

Arvin_C

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted December 08 2001 - 09:01 PM

Hello. Posted Image

I really like this movie. Although I didn't get a chance to see it in the theaters, everyone I know that did said they were kinda' dissapointed story wise. I think most fans of the film were looking for something more akin to the game series than anything else. Because of that, I think once word got around that the movie was not really based on the game or any of its characters, Square lost a lot of people who were planning to see the film. Too bad for them!

The DVD is incredibly well done and the technology aspect of the movie is phenominal! I would love to know what Pixar, Lucas, ILM, etc. think about it! And, as far as story goes...it's quite good, IMHO. People/viewers need to keep an open mind with Sci-Fi. Afterall, it's not the same world we're used to. Posted Image

Arvin

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,267 posts

Posted December 08 2001 - 09:43 PM

About a sequel... Square never makes true sequels to Final Fantasy products. If they made another FF movie, it would take place in a different setting with differe characters and such. The report that they are not making films any more was false. AFAIK, they are considering ideas for more films and are thinking of drafting scripts. Possibilities include a brand new movie, a movie based on another game franchise, or even another FF movie. They are also doing work for other companies, I think they are doing some stuff for the Matrix films.

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   Eric Sevigny

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted December 09 2001 - 08:53 AM

You can add me to the list of those who very much liked the movie.

As for some sort of sequel, I liked the idea that was thrown around at some point (can't remember by whom - think it may have been the director) that Aki may find her way into another movie as another character.

Hope Square won't drop plans for *any* other movies because of the lackluster release of FF. Or maybe it is already too late... Posted Image

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   Neil_S

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted December 09 2001 - 12:53 PM

I have to say that I REALLY wanted to like this movie. I did not see it in the theater and watched it at home. I was constantly in awe at the animation. I loved just watching the subtle effects like how hair moved or particle effects. Story line was another matter. I love science fiction and I can find enjoyment in many movies (I own Tank Girl :b ). When I was done watching Final Fantasy, I felt that I had just read a 1000 page book but I started it on page 400 and then only read every other chapter. I just felt like there was an incredible story but most of it was left out.... I still recommend it to people, simply for the incredible animation. Neil

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,267 posts

Posted December 09 2001 - 04:13 PM

Neil- There were a bunch of context clues that told you what happened leading up to the film. Also, there are tons of ways to find out what happened, like checking out the official Final Fantasy movie website or reading it somewhere else.

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   AdrianJ

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted December 09 2001 - 04:56 PM

About a sequel: Square Soft lost so much money on this movie, that they have said they will never make another movie. I can't see another studio picking up this franchise and making another movie. I'm not saying this to be negative. I liked the movie. I think most people have a problem with "cartoon drama" though.
Adrian Jones

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted December 09 2001 - 05:00 PM

This is one movie I appreciated more the second time around. It went over the heads of most people in North America though.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   Neil_S

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted December 09 2001 - 05:05 PM

[quote]

Also, there are tons of ways to find out what happened, like checking out the official Final Fantasy movie website or reading it somewhere else.

[quote]

I really with this need not be the case. I would have loved to have this information in the movie itself. There are some cases where a movie may prompt me to read the book or do some background research on the subject matter but I felt there was SO much hinted at but missing. I guess I just would liked to have it in the movie rather than on a web site...

Neil

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   Robert_eb

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts

Posted December 09 2001 - 05:48 PM

I enjoyed the movie. I guess the biggest complaint with it was that it was boring. I guess that is the reaction that you'll get when the writing of a film is actually written for someone to use there mind to think of the story presented before them instead of just reacting to mindless explosions and action scenes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users