What's new

Final Fantasy (1 Viewer)

Mike Mallory

Agent
I only visit this group about once or twice a week, so maybe I missed earlier threads. I just saw this flick on PPV today and it's pretty good. In fact, it's the best sci-fi movie I've seen since "The Matrix". Sure, the human characters seem straight out of "Toy Story", but the rest of the movie is top notch. Not to mention this movie actually has a plot, which is also top notch. And innovative. Well worth the price of a DVD purchase.

- Mike

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Wow, someone besides me and maybe another person or two who actually liked the film (and thought there was a plot).

I agree, it was good. Its also DEEP.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I liked this movie alot too. I saw it at the theater with my sister and we were both amazed by it. I also rented it once when it first came out on DVD. Watched it with my mom and she kinda liked it.

ChristianW

Stunt Coordinator
I thought this was a good movie too. I got my copy the day it was released here in Oz, and I thought the DVD set was done quite well with a bunch of great extras.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I rented this DVD and while I was quite impressed with the extras, I wasn't as impressed with the movie. IMO the movie was a lot better than alot of the crap out there recently but it asn't the best movie I've seen. I guess I'd say it was okay but I wouldn't buy it.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
maybe we ought to star a support group for those of us who actually thought Final Fantasy was a good movie with an interesting plot, we seem to be a minority ;)

Nathan A

Second Unit
I watched this in the theater and remember being hugely disappointed. I bought the disc anyway though, and after watching it again I loved it. It looks great, sounds great, and has a unique story which (I think) is told in an interesting way (though I'll admit many people will find it too hard to stick with it to the end).

Saddened to hear they won't consider making a sequel.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the DVD was pretty good. I saw it in the theater but, didn't get the full effect because there were only ten poeple in theater when I seen it.

DaveCheung

Agent
I didn't care for it when I saw it in the theater, but, after watching this 2 times on disc, I think it's very good though not without major flaws. (Those opinions on the previous thread were way too harsh and critical. At least they can admit that it wasn't boring...) It's successful both as serious and entertaining sci-fi, not to mention that it also got strong visuals and sounds that look great on the HT.

Arvin_C

Agent
Hello. :)
I really like this movie. Although I didn't get a chance to see it in the theaters, everyone I know that did said they were kinda' dissapointed story wise. I think most fans of the film were looking for something more akin to the game series than anything else. Because of that, I think once word got around that the movie was not really based on the game or any of its characters, Square lost a lot of people who were planning to see the film. Too bad for them!
The DVD is incredibly well done and the technology aspect of the movie is phenominal! I would love to know what Pixar, Lucas, ILM, etc. think about it! And, as far as story goes...it's quite good, IMHO. People/viewers need to keep an open mind with Sci-Fi. Afterall, it's not the same world we're used to. :D
Arvin

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
About a sequel...

Square never makes true sequels to Final Fantasy products. If they made another FF movie, it would take place in a different setting with differe characters and such. The report that they are not making films any more was false. AFAIK, they are considering ideas for more films and are thinking of drafting scripts. Possibilities include a brand new movie, a movie based on another game franchise, or even another FF movie. They are also doing work for other companies, I think they are doing some stuff for the Matrix films.

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator
You can add me to the list of those who very much liked the movie.
As for some sort of sequel, I liked the idea that was thrown around at some point (can't remember by whom - think it may have been the director) that Aki may find her way into another movie as another character.
Hope Square won't drop plans for *any* other movies because of the lackluster release of FF. Or maybe it is already too late... :frowning:

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
I have to say that I REALLY wanted to like this movie. I did not see it in the theater and watched it at home.

I was constantly in awe at the animation. I loved just watching the subtle effects like how hair moved or particle effects.

Story line was another matter. I love science fiction and I can find enjoyment in many movies (I own Tank Girl :b ). When I was done watching Final Fantasy, I felt that I had just read a 1000 page book but I started it on page 400 and then only read every other chapter. I just felt like there was an incredible story but most of it was left out....

I still recommend it to people, simply for the incredible animation.

Neil

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Neil-

There were a bunch of context clues that told you what happened leading up to the film. Also, there are tons of ways to find out what happened, like checking out the official Final Fantasy movie website or reading it somewhere else.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
About a sequel:

Square Soft lost so much money on this movie, that they have said they will never make another movie. I can't see another studio picking up this franchise and making another movie.

I'm not saying this to be negative. I liked the movie. I think most people have a problem with "cartoon drama" though.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This is one movie I appreciated more the second time around. It went over the heads of most people in North America though.

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
Also, there are tons of ways to find out what happened, like checking out the official Final Fantasy movie website or reading it somewhere else.
I really with this need not be the case. I would have loved to have this information in the movie itself. There are some cases where a movie may prompt me to read the book or do some background research on the subject matter but I felt there was SO much hinted at but missing. I guess I just would liked to have it in the movie rather than on a web site...

Neil

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed the movie. I guess the biggest complaint with it was that it was boring. I guess that is the reaction that you'll get when the writing of a film is actually written for someone to use there mind to think of the story presented before them instead of just reacting to mindless explosions and action scenes.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
About explaining stuff in the film...

Lucas never really explained the history between the Sith and Jedi, so how do so many people know it? If you want enough information to understand a film, it should be there, but to get a complete and working knowledge of it, you should have to do a little more than watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks