What's new

Need a gentle push towards the Canon XSi (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Over at Amazon, they are giving back the entire $200 instant rebate promotion when you buy a Canon XSi kit (with 18-55mm IS lens) and a Canon 55-250mm IS lens, F4-F5.6), which makes the deal around $716, the camera's in stock, while the longer lens would ship later. I just wonder if there's a better deal around the corner as Canon is running promotions to deplete their XS and XSi inventories in order to go full bore with the recently released T1i, and upcoming release of the T1. The current promotion ends tomorrow 7/11/09, and I've been hemming and hawing for a few days.

Part of me is thinking that maybe I should wait for the T1 (I don't really need the HD video capabilities of the T1i), which would have Digic 4, and a better LCD screen than the XSi (if it's close to being the same as the T1i's LCD screen).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Don't you already have a 40d? Personally I would feel cramped with the xsi class camera as a primary camera but the d5000 is growing on me as a backup/leave it in the car camera...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
No, never done the dSLR thang. I think you have me confused with Cameron.

Sam, I know you and I have different threshholds when it comes to how much camera gear we are willing to lug around when snapping photos.

Edited by Patrick Sun - 7/11/2009 at 05:10 am GMT

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Oh, that's right, you had like an a570 or something similar at our events now if I remember right. Well, in that case, go for it, the XSI is probably the gateway drug to bigger and better =) If you have a Costco tho I would go buy their kit setup there, its a nice package with a case and you get 90 days no hassle returns which is WELL WORTH whatever delta in price there is, within reason.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick, that is a good price for the package. Both lenses, while not the best, are well-regarded for their price point. That kit should cover your needs for quite some time.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In the end, I decided not to pull the trigger on the deal, I'm just waiting on the T1 specs now, and seeing if more deals will materialize with the XSi. I can't remember if I saw the XSi package at Costco a few weekends ago, or was it the T1i package. I'll have to check it out again at Costco soon. The hunt is back on, I suppose...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I trust the New Zealander who reviews at CameraLabs.com. He says this, comparing the two:

Compared to Canon Rebel XSi Physically speaking the new EOS T1i shares a great deal with its predecessor, the best-selling EOS XSi. They share the same dimensions, virtually the same weight (the new model’s 5g heavier), the same viewfinder and AF specification, and even the same battery (albeit now with 20% shorter life). The continuous shooting speed is also virtually the same, although the new model makes up for fractionally slower speed with a larger frame burst. In its favour, the new EOS 500D / T1i boasts an extra three Megapixels, a much more detailed VGA monitor, an HDMI port, a much higher maximum sensitivity of 12800 ISO compared to just 1600 on its predecessor, Peripheral Illumination Correction to reduce the corner darkening of lens vignetting, the Creative Auto mode, and of course the headline feature of HD video recording. In our tests, we didn’t notice much difference in terms of real-life detail, especially when the 500D / T1i was fitted with the standard EF-S 18-55mm IS kit lens, although there’s the potential for superior resolving power if you fit better optics. Noise levels were similar at lower sensitivities, although at 800 and especially 1600 ISO, the 500D / T1i avoids the chroma artefacts of its predecessor. But in terms of overall image quality, there’s not much in it. So you should really only choose the 500D / T1i over the 450D / XSi if you’re either coupling it with decent lenses, or value its new features, like the HD Movies and VGA screen. If you’re not bothered by the movies or screen and intend to use the kit lens, then save yourself some money and go for the older 450D / XSi. It remains an excellent DSLR which is likely to fall in price further as stocks last. See our Canon EOS 450D / XSi review for more details.

Source: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_500D_Digital_Rebel_T1i/index.shtml

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link, Will. Now I wait for the T1 to finally show up because I doubt I will want the T1i's HD video capabilties (just not a video dude).

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Patrick,

I own and use almost daily the Xti, it's the same size with almost the same feature set (features that count). I see no advantage going to the T1 just because it's the new model. Don't sit on the fence too long, using a digital SLR with 10 MP or higher is quite simply fun. You will be amazed at the shots you'll get. Truly, the only way to frame great shots is with a TTL SLR. You just can't do it with a a piont and shoot (without some luck).
I always carry 3 lenses, 18-55mm, 70-200mm and 300mm. The other item that will help with great shots is a monopod. you can get a very inexpensive one at Walmart for $19.00.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you can save significant $$$ (toward better glass, etc) by going w/ the older model, I'd go that route.

I doubt they've improved much on these bodies to pay more for the new one (unless you really want the video features).

_Man_

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
I ended up selling my monopod. I shoot a lot of movie palace interiors and neon signs, and found the monopod only helped with exposures from around 1/4 to 1/8th of a second. Any faster than that I could do handheld, any slower and I needed a tripod. I picked up a light tripod which is serving me very well. So I would say weigh the type of shooting you do against the advice of buying a monopod.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The arrival of the T1 may drive the price of the XSi down a bit more, though I still would like to know if the T1 will have the same LCD screen as the T1i since it's a much better screen than the XSi screen. I don't really care for liveview, so that's not much of a feature for me. Reviews have pretty much made it clear that to get the most out of the 15 megapixels with either the T1i or T1, you need to use good glass, and I'm not all about megapixels arms race, so 10-12 megapixel wouldn't be a negative. I just keep going back to the LCD screen as the main reason to keep the T1 as an option, though I might end up with the XSi in the end.

Thanks for the feedback on accessories (monopods, tripods, lenses).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Originally Posted by Don Solosan

I ended up selling my monopod. I shoot a lot of movie palace interiors and neon signs, and found the monopod only helped with exposures from around 1/4 to 1/8th of a second. Any faster than that I could do handheld, any slower and I needed a tripod. I picked up a light tripod which is serving me very well. So I would say weigh the type of shooting you do against the advice of buying a monopod.
You probably aren't shooting those interiors with a 70-200 or 300 fast prime tho. Even those are debatably improved by a Mono, but the superteles basically require one (or a tri)

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Patrick,

I think you are making a smart move not buying into the 15MP hype. I routinely enlarge my images to 14x19 inches and some even larger. 10MP stays sharp at that size image with zero pixelation visable. of course, if you were to use a magnifying glass you could probably see some pixels. As for the Monopod, I shoot outside most of the time, the monopod makes a huge difference in keeping the image as sharp and focused as possible, especially with the zooms. As for the LCD screen on the camera itself, use it only to perform cursory looks at your shots, always,always view your shots on a well calibrated monitor before deciding to dump them. Many times I have checked an image on the monitor and found artistic or very neat images that only needed cropping here and there to make them keepers.

Bill

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]You probably aren't shooting those interiors with a 70-200 or 300 fast prime tho. Even those are debatably improved by a Mono, but the superteles basically require one (or a tri)"

No, I'm usually at the wide end of the spectrum. If I do want to zoom in on some feature, I need the stability of a tripod. A mono is just too limiting for the type of shooting I do. I'm not trying to suggest that they're not useful, they just don't do a whole lot for me.[/COLOR]

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Bill Cowmeadow

Patrick,

I think you are making a smart move not buying into the 15MP hype. I routinely enlarge my images to 14x19 inches and some even larger. 10MP stays sharp at that size image with zero pixelation visable. of course, if you were to use a magnifying glass you could probably see some pixels.
Yes, higher megapixels is as much marketing hype as anything, unless you do a lot of cropping of your images -- then the extra megapixels can be useful. With my old 8MP Rebel XT, I have enlarged to as much as 20x30 without any issues.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you rarely actually need a monopod, maybe you could use your tripod like a monopod on those occasions when you do need one -- although you'll probably want to use a different (swivel/tilt) head for it for such instances. I have both (made of carbon fiber), but I've been finding myself using my tripod as a monopod quite often.

FYI, a monopod is more useful for shooting (moderately predictable) action and such than inanimate objects/scenes -- for the latter, you're better off using a tripod (as suggested by others). Of course, if you're using a IS/VR lens or some other form of image stabilization, then that would make a monopod less useful (though not completely so).

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

FYI, a monopod is more useful for shooting (moderately predictable) action and such than inanimate objects/scenes -- for the latter, you're better off using a tripod (as suggested by others). Of course, if you're using a IS/VR lens or some other form of image stabilization, then that would make a monopod less useful (though not completely so).

_Man_
Since I have lenses with image stabilization, I've never bothered with a monopod. I do have a decent carbon fiber tripod and ball head, though. For my types of shooting, this combination works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks