Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Casablanca Standard Edition Coming Sept. 15

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 Heinz W

Heinz W

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted July 09 2009 - 11:36 PM

www.blu-ray.com/news/

About time. Hopefully Warners will do the right thing and release similar editions of Oz and GWTW day and date with the fancy boxes. Not happy that they're losing some of the extras, completists will STILL have to buy the expensive set if they want it all.

#2 of 17 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,346 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 09 2009 - 11:44 PM

Finally! I do not mind losing some of the extras, as long as I can purchase the film in HD.

#3 of 17 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,632 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 10 2009 - 01:42 AM

They surely must have realized the demand for the film in a more commercially manageable package. Thank you, Warners, for being reasonable about this at long last. It's a must buy for me.

#4 of 17 Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted July 10 2009 - 02:02 AM

It sounds like the only thing that will be lost is the Jack Warner doc, and I never was interested in that anyway.

Hopefully this bodes well for Oz.

#5 of 17 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,766 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 10 2009 - 02:07 AM

I guess the question now is: will Warner go day-and-date with these...or continue this model of debuting the standard editions months later?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#6 of 17 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,121 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 10 2009 - 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon View Post

I guess the question now is: will Warner go day-and-date with these...or continue this model of debuting the standard editions months later?

It's the latter unless actual sales data changes a certain Warner executive's mind.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#7 of 17 BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted July 10 2009 - 05:45 AM

In the case of Casablanca, it's hardly "months" later.  They'll get as many sales out of Oz and Wind as they can, especially at holiday time.  No one will be seeing this kind of cheaper release on Oz or Wind for at least six months to a year, if Casablanca is anything to go by.

#8 of 17 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,064 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 10 2009 - 05:49 AM

I can always rent the Warner doc, so it seems like I'll be getting this release this year, and then The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind in Fall 2010.

Better late than never.

Edited by Brandon Conway - 7/10/2009 at 06:22 pm GMT

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#9 of 17 GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts

Posted July 10 2009 - 06:02 AM

This is more like it. But really, why can't they do this fully correct by offering a version with all disc-based extras but none of the other physical trinkets. Why eliminate the second disc? In this case that documentary is not important to me, but there may be extras on the WOO or GWTW extra discs that I'll want.

#10 of 17 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 10 2009 - 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennH 

This is more like it. But really, why can't they do this fully correct by offering a version with all disc-based extras but none of the other physical trinkets. Why eliminate the second disc? In this case that documentary is not important to me, but there may be extras on the WOO or GWTW extra discs that I'll want.
I seem to remember someone here saying that Warner Bros. literally had copies of this edition lying around since the format war.  For whatever reason, this title was withheld at that time and HD DVD effectively received an exclusive.  That more than anything angered me about their decision to go Ultimate Edition only when it came time for a Blu-ray Disc release, and I guess that is why, while I'm thankful a standard edition is coming out, I'm not going to break my arm patting them on the back for it.  It would also explain why all the disc-based extras aren't being included.

In the meantime, as long as their is a standard edition available for import as there appears there will be for both Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz, I'll send my money overseas and not have to wait an additional year for 'sane' release.

Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#11 of 17 Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,471 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted July 10 2009 - 09:49 AM

Great news. I was about to break down and buy the Collector's Set but now I'll wait for the more affordable option.

"Here's looking at you, kid."

#12 of 17 Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 647 posts

Posted July 10 2009 - 12:25 PM

Glad this is coming out at an affordable price.  I don't need the "papers" or whatever was in the big box and I am not really interested in the life of Jack Warner.

Doug
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#13 of 17 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,520 posts

Posted July 11 2009 - 07:54 AM

I was waiting for Amazon to put the boxset out in their Deal of the Day so I could get Casablanca at a reasonable price, but I think I'll grab this version instead.  I wouldn't mind checking out the Jack Warner doc but for the price difference I it doesn't seem reasonable.

DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#14 of 17 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,520 posts

Posted July 11 2009 - 07:54 AM

double post

DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#15 of 17 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,615 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted July 11 2009 - 10:44 AM

There's actually a good Warner Bros. documentary on the new and improved "This is the Army" disc.  It details the bros. work in the period leading up to and through WWII.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#16 of 17 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted July 13 2009 - 06:16 PM

Aye.  Good to see this standalone edition finally coming out.   Hopefully, we won't have to wait this long (and w/out any advanced word) for such future releases.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#17 of 17 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,431 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 14 2009 - 03:14 AM

I think everyone with an interest in owning Casablanca needs to purchase it the week it comes out in order to show Warners that there's a big demand for the non-box set version of their classics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users