What's new

Beatles Rock Band (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
They've put out the opening cinematic. I haven't been a big fan of these games, but I'm a HUGE Beatles fan. This opening cinematic is just.... incredible.

I will forgive them for having them cross the Abbey Road street too early and the timeline being a bit jumbled, as it all flows together so damn pretty.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Having never bought Rock Band, I might have to buy the full set to get the Guitars and all that. To tempting to pass up :S

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Picked it up today, played through the story mode (there's a trophy/achievement for finishing the story mode in 24 hours...that's just evil). Excellent game, only thing is that I wish there were more songs or at least some DLC earlier than Oct. 20th.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
there's a trophy/achievement for finishing the story mode in 24 hours...that's just evil)

That actually does not seem to bad. I wouldn't imagine there's any more than 3 hours of music on there. Might be tough if you are doing it on high difficulty though

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The reason that achievement/trophy is evil is that I had something else I wanted to do last night and I had plans today after work, so I was almost forced to finish the game in one sitting. Yeah, it was about 3-4 hours or so.

I'm playing on PS3, name is L11mbm

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by WillG

Floyd1977 on PS3
Armoury_R1, also on PS3.

I've played everything at least once now, guitar at hard, but have only done two of the venue challenges so far. So six "photos" to go to unlock the final 'prize', whatever that might be.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

A few thoughts on "Rock Band" by one of my friends. :)

Okay, I played through the forty-five songs in the "The Beatles: Rock Band" initial offering last night. We did vocals and drums (not guitar or bass). I hadn't previously tried their controllers or engaged with that interface.

Games exist in their playing of them, of course. Looking at an interface, as distinct from working with it in real-time, are different experiences, and the former is not very informative of the latter. (In case it is not obvious: The stuff in the back, the people and their background, are simply wallpaper or cartoons. They just do what they are going to do -- the player cannot affect them.)

These songs were familiar to me, of course. I thought it was interesting how the designers had to represent a musical code -- when to sing vocals (whether "lead" or "second voice") and drums -- without raising the impediment of actually teaching how to read a musical score.

The interface for the drums I found at least understandable. Since you don't need to think about pitch here, it is mostly a matter of hitting your mark. There are four drums up, plus a foot pedal. I stuck to the pedal and the left snare and did OK.

As to the singing, I tried leads and second voice. The interface indicates now-in-time with a vertical bar. You see what you have to do approaching as it comes in from right to left. Pitch is indicated relatively -- how high or low on that staff. (Key doesn't exist in the "Rock Band" interface, since it essentially is facilitating a form of karaoke, or, 'play along with...' .) So, timing matters, and duration -- how long or short you hold your note -- matters. What they are doing under the hood with pitch is not immediately evident. I suspect that they/the players cut a lot of slack there -- maybe things are different on the more difficult settings. I can't hardly sing Paul's parts at all, of course, and I can get by on Ringo's and some of John's. The scoring (on Easy and Medium) didn't seem to care if I was close on my notes (sometimes I dropped an octave, it accepted that, which I thought was good).

The interface for bass, drums and guitar are easy on the eyes, with the three vocal parts clearly displayed. The running song is "Here Comes the Sun." Scoring is another matter, one I won't get in to at this time.

As I said, I didn't try the guitar or bass. I think that would hurt my feelings. ;)

As to the audio, it was pretty darn good. BTW, they have included some period (with the dates included) studio chatter I haven't heard before.

Eric Clapton and Billy Preston were conspicously absent. ;)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've been playing this and really loving it. I splurged on the deluxe set since I needed the instruments, and then bought the Harrison guitar too. So far I've done the story mode on easy guitar and am now doing the challenges on easy bass. I can see the songs getting a bit tired, so thankfully these Beatle instruments work with Rockband 2 since I can pick up that disc relatively cheap.

I'm up for online play on the PS3, feel free to add me :)

Ruz-El

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you get Rock Band 2, borrow Rock Band 1 from a friend or rent it so you can put all the songs from that onto your HDD. You have to download a $5 export key to do so, but at the same time you're getting like 45 or so songs that can be played in Rock Band 2, which means a total of around 120 songs. Unfortunately, you can't export The Beatles songs, or play Rock Band songs in The Beatles.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Morgan Jolley

If you get Rock Band 2, borrow Rock Band 1 from a friend or rent it so you can put all the songs from that onto your HDD. You have to download a $5 export key to do so, but at the same time you're getting like 45 or so songs that can be played in Rock Band 2, which means a total of around 120 songs. Unfortunately, you can't export The Beatles songs, or play Rock Band songs in The Beatles.
Thanks for the tip Morgan! I saw all those song packs available on the PS3 Network, and really want that "Who" pack so thought I'd get Rock Band 2 once I realized the instruments are all compatible. Do you know if that key works for the other rock band track packs as well?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Songs come from a couple places. Rock Band 1 Disc, Rock Band 2 Disc, Track Pack Discs, and DLC. All DLC works in RB1 and RB2. Track Pack Discs are rebundled DLC (you're better off downloading the songs than getting these since the songs can't be exported. The export key only exports RB1 songs onto the HDD to be played in RB2. However, the AC/DC Track Pack Disc songs can be exported onto the HDD to be played in RB2.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Morgan Jolley

Songs come from a couple places. Rock Band 1 Disc, Rock Band 2 Disc, Track Pack Discs, and DLC. All DLC works in RB1 and RB2. Track Pack Discs are rebundled DLC (you're better off downloading the songs than getting these since the songs can't be exported. The export key only exports RB1 songs onto the HDD to be played in RB2. However, the AC/DC Track Pack Disc songs can be exported onto the HDD to be played in RB2.
Thanks for the heads up on the track packs Morgan, I appreciate it. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Anyone else download the Abby Road pack for this? I did. It's fun to play the side B medley, but over all I'm a little disappointed. The idea is to play the album, but it just dumps the songs into the quick play menu. So to play the album, you have to create a set list every time since you can't save them (as far as I can tell anyways). So no challenges, no trophies, no nothing but the songs. The songs themselves are of course class. The visuals continue to be eye catching. I played the album twice, once on drums (tricky, but the drums are a real bugger for me) and on guitar which I'm more competent at. Good fun it was, it'll be cool to try as a band.

I'll probably still buy the other albums when they come out since I'm a fiend for these games at the moment, it;s just a shame that it's not integrated into the game a bit better. With Rock Band 2, the songs downloaded show up as challenges and come into the tour mode, as opposed to Beatles Rock Band and the play list dumping.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There is a way to filter the playlist by album (or difficulty, alphabetically by name, etc.). I think you may be able to play the songs from Abbey Road all together that way. I will get these songs soon but don't have them yet.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
There is a way to filter the playlist by album (or difficulty, alphabetically by name, etc.). I think you may be able to play the songs from Abbey Road all together that way
Yes, you can filter by album and just choose "Abbey Road" and it will let you play the whole album

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Grady
I'll be getting TB:RB in a week or so and wondering about the DLC, specifically for the Wii. How much memory do the downloaded songs take up? As I'm sure the internal memory for the Wii will fill up quickly, I'll have to splurge for an SD card. Will a 2 GB card do or do I need something bigger?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks