Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Toshiba 56H80 HD 1080i shutdown - SD works fine :(

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Toaster

Toaster

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 09 2009 - 03:28 AM

Hello all and thank you for reading this post..

I have a Toshiba TW 56H80.
Everytime I switch to an HD source such as HD cable, Computer output or Blu-ray the screen immediately compressess, shifts right and down, distorts, turns a bluish green and gets brighter over a period of 30 seconds till it shuts down - blinking red LED power light.

Standard def sources are fine.

My question is, any idea if it'd cost me more to repair this TV than its worth? And would it last me long enough to warrent the repair cost?

I am only seeking "opinions" and "best guesses", I understand noone can tell me for certain without testing the TV.

I live in Tucson, AZ and am having a hard time finding someone thats even interested in even coming out to test the TV : /  Can this TV even be repaired still??

I am leary of the LCD's because it seems they all have such a motion blur problem - for example when the scene is busy and the camera is panning.  I have not looked at LCD's in the 46" - 56" range in a few months; maybe they've improved and come down to a price point I can afford and justify (max $1500).

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Toaster

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted July 09 2009 - 04:23 AM

Was HD working OK until recently on the Tosh, or are you trying HD sources for the first time on this display? I'm sure you've already tried these, but I'll mention them just to be sure.

Have you confirmed that the source resolution is set the same as the TV input? IIRC, that model accepts 1080i inputs for HD, but doesn't take 720p or 1080p.

Have tried different inputs? I believe that model has a component input that accepts 480i/480p/1080i and an RGB input that accepts 480p or 1080i. The RGB input may be a D-9 type connection.

I have an RPTV of similar vintage (Pioneer SD533-HD5) and when it dies I'm not even going to bother trying to fix it. Most shops don;t have techs with much experience on these and troubleshooting is charged by the hour. Plus, replacement parts are hard to find and expensive when you do. I still believe my Pioneer RPTV is as almost as good as the top digital displays and better than the mid or second tier, but the repairs costs could run more than an new set.

FWIW, unless you have light control issues, I would recommend a plasma over LCD. The Panny plasmas look better (IMO)  and cost the same or less than a similarly sized Samsung/LG/Sony/etc. LCD.

Dan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Toaster

Toaster

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 10 2009 - 10:06 AM

Dan, thanks for replying: )

The problem appeared years ago when I was watching Discover HD using a Cox Cable HD-DVR (1080i I think).  At that time it worked and was crystal clear but the picture was slightly rotated and slightly mis-shaped.  Enough that it drove me nuts to watch it that way.  The set had never been calibrated and even normal SD channels were distorted on the edges and convergence was pretty far off - red and blue edges, especially around text, etc.
I learned about service mode and I tinkered - too much :(  It was after tinkering that the HD portion became screwed up as described above.  I had written down the original values but resetting back to them did not fix the HD portion.

At that time there wasn't much HD programming and I had little time for tv viewing. I sent the HD-DVR back and forgot about it. Now years later, I want to get a blu-ray player and also stream HD content from my computer and OTA. Remembering the problem, I tried the computer source which is 1080p and bam, there was the problem again.  The problem occurs regardless if I use Color Stream 1 or Color Stream 2 component inputs.  There is no D-sub input on this model. I'll check again re making sure the inputs match the tv capabilities - (i vs p). 

I did reach a service person today (Friday) - they said parts are no longer available for the TV but they'd try to fix it by testing the board and replacing bad parts (suspected bad capacitors).  Minimum cost $350 - provided they can even fix it.  The board can't be tested in the set so they'd have to remove it - it's soldered to the chassy.  Not sure what the success rate is for replacing soldered parts on those boards and no guarantee that they can get it working that way makes me leary of spending the money.

I do have a lighting problem so I'll look into the Panny plasma's, thanks for the suggestion : ) 

Take care and thanks again for the reply.  Suggestions are appreciated!

Eric

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted July 12 2009 - 04:54 AM

Hi Eric,

From your description is sounds more like a very poorly adjusted display, rather than a broken one. Even the shutdown issue might be due to very poorly adjusted service settings. I suggest that you contact an ISF certified calibrationist and at least discuss options with him or her. There are several here on HTF, at least one of whom is also a moderator. Try starting a new thread here in the Display Devices sub-forum with a title like "ISF Calibrator needed in Fairbanks, AK", or whatever city you live in.

FWIW, there may be a little confusion WRT to LCD or plasma. Plasma is typically better when you either don't have a lot of natural light in the room or it is well controlled with heavy curtains or blinds. The one drawback to plasma is that bright light shining on the display can wash it out.

LCD is generally recommended if you do have lighting problems, such as large windows that let the sun shine on the display.

As always, IMO, YMMV, etc.

Dan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Toaster

Toaster

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 21 2009 - 03:13 AM

Thank you Dan,
I will take you up on your advice and re-post to Display devices and see what an ISF calabrationist says.  That'd be great if it was just an adjustment problem.

Eric