-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Transformers Shout! Release

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 Kenneth V

Kenneth V

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted July 08 2009 - 09:06 AM

I got my Transformers set today, almost a week before it's supposed to be released. 

Did anybody else get theirs?

#2 of 21 Mr. Papagiorgio

Mr. Papagiorgio

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted July 08 2009 - 02:09 PM

Are you talking about the Matrix complete series set?  What type of shape did it arrive in?  Did they pack it well?  Any glitches with the DVDs?  I've been thinking about ordering it, but I'll probably wait until it hits retail stores at a cheaper price.

#3 of 21 MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted July 08 2009 - 02:36 PM

I got mine today too! GREAT set! Haven't had a chance to check the DVD, but the packaging seems well protected and all the DVDs are in slim-line trays so absolutely no chance of damage in shipping. Bit nervous with the magnets so close to the discs, but dunno yet.

Shout! really deserves a commendation for this package. They got my finger about inches away from getting GI Joe.

So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#4 of 21 nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted July 09 2009 - 01:00 AM

Why would a magnet affect a DVD?

I've been thinking about getting the set. I sold off my Rhino releases years ago.

#5 of 21 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,712 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 09 2009 - 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolesrule View Post

Why would a magnet affect a DVD?

The thinking is that it'll erase the disc. I certainly don't know for sure but I think it would have to be a much stronger magnet to be able to do that.

#6 of 21 MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted July 09 2009 - 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR 

The thinking is that it'll erase the disc. I certainly don't know for sure but I think it would have to be a much stronger magnet to be able to do that.

Exactly. However, I'm sure Shout! thought of that and given we haven't heard about any issues with the magnet being with the volume 1 collection of Transformers, one has to assume all is well.

I know the set is expensive, but anyone serious about collecting Transformers really needs to take a look at this. Impressive extras, cool but sturdy packaging, it really looks awesome. The only thing "missing" is Transformers: The Movie, which is a disappointment since a.) it being out of print means eBay prices can be formidable and b.) it does form a bridge between seasons 2 and 3 of the TV show. Shame Shout! couldn't have gotten the rights to include it. Ah well, watch, in two weeks, we'll be saying the same thing about GI Joe: The Movie and that collection.

Now, just need to get around to watching Transformers to rate image and sound.

So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#7 of 21 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted July 09 2009 - 01:54 AM

Hey MattPeriolat - How early did you pre-order the box set? Wondering how many orders they got for it, afraid if I ordered it now it may take a lot longer to get.

Nice to knwo the packaging is sturdy etc... was worried it would arrive dented or with box cuts etc.

I know I bought the Real Ghostbusters set about a month ago from time life and it came in mint condition, looks great.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#8 of 21 nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted July 09 2009 - 02:22 AM

A magnet won't damage a CD or DVD unless you use it as a fulcrum for bending the disc itself. It has no affect on the way a disc stores its data. Optical technology is different from the magnetic storage of cassettes, floppy and hard disks.

#9 of 21 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted July 09 2009 - 03:55 AM

True people have to remember these aren't floppy discs or VHS tapes.

Plus could you imagine ... it would be so Seinfeldian - George thinking cotton being good for the baseball uniforms... Now George thinking it would be cool to ship magnets with dvds that destroyed them haha

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#10 of 21 MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted July 09 2009 - 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger 

Hey MattPeriolat - How early did you pre-order the box set? Wondering how many orders they got for it, afraid if I ordered it now it may take a lot longer to get.

Nice to knwo the packaging is sturdy etc... was worried it would arrive dented or with box cuts etc.

I know I bought the Real Ghostbusters set about a month ago from time life and it came in mint condition, looks great.
July 1st was my order date. I had no clue it had even shipped until it hit my porch yesterday afternoon, just as I was about to head out the door to exchange a CD.

For the record, it comes in a cardboard box with packing paper around it and plastic wrap around. There's a little backing card that has to be removed before the "Matrix" can be opened, but it and the securing goo comes off easily. "Matrix" slides open, lift a lid, there's the book on top, followed by a GI Joe ad, the magnets, then the four Slim-Packs of four discs each.

As I said, great package and very sturdy.

#11 of 21 Kenneth V

Kenneth V

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted July 09 2009 - 07:52 AM

I ordered mine June 24 with GI Joe.  The set is in great shape!  No problems with packaging.  I haven't watched any of the DVDs yet, so I can't comment on the quality yet.

#12 of 21 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted July 12 2009 - 06:19 PM

I want this set so badly I can taste it! I'm waiting until I can get it in stores, though, when is this expected to happen?
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#13 of 21 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted July 13 2009 - 02:03 AM

No Known date for stores, if they decide to sell the set in stores. I would guess after all the single volume sets have been released then it would seem more likely.

They consider the online purchase complete set a limited edition so when it does go to stores it could be missing somethings... maybe? 

I ordered my set last week it hasn't shipped yet... but according to Shout Factory's site scrolling banner their G.I. Joe Complete sets ship starting today (Mon July 13th)

Marantz SR7007
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#14 of 21 nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted July 13 2009 - 02:06 AM

According to the website, it's only available while supplies last. So if it sells out online, it's not going to get a retail release in its present form.

I plan on ordering it after I collect some money from a few clients.

#15 of 21 David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted July 13 2009 - 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolesrule 

According to the website, it's only available while supplies last. So if it sells out online, it's not going to get a retail release in its present form.

I plan on ordering it after I collect some money from a few clients.
I believe Brian Ward said if they sell out online they'll have to evaluate the costs for doing a second run for retail. So its very possible they'll make more.

That said, it IS a gamble to wait.

#16 of 21 MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted July 13 2009 - 08:04 AM

Eeeks. My bank account is nearly dry, but with these warnings, I'm very glad I jumped for the Complete Series sets for Transformers and order Joe on Friday.

See, it's not just online orders, but remember, the sets will also be available to the public at the Shout! booth at Comic-Con in two weeks, so this run of the complete sets may not last long. For the record, I've been checking Amazon.com and they don't even have a slot posted.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I would suggest the people who want the complete series go for it. Rapidly.

#17 of 21 David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted July 13 2009 - 08:13 AM

You'd think the faster they sell out, the more inclined they'd be to do another run because there would be more demand than supply.

I think the problem would be if after a decent period of time, they still have some, but not really enough to ship to retail. Then it becomes an issue of "can we sell enough to warrant making more?"

#18 of 21 MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted July 17 2009 - 04:32 AM

According to Shout!, my GI Joe set shipped yesterday. Kind of funny, given I didn't get a shipping notice on Transformers until two days after it arrived!

Anyway, keep your eyes peeled to the front porch those who ordered Joe, since it looks like they're on their way!

#19 of 21 Kenneth V

Kenneth V

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted July 17 2009 - 07:24 AM

I got the email yesterday too.  For Transformers I got the email on a Monday and the set arrived Wednesday.  So hopefully I will have the set tomorrow!

#20 of 21 MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted July 17 2009 - 08:01 AM

Well, Transformers got shipped Express, so hoping the same for Joe. I'd be thrilled if I got it tomorrow, but if I have to wait until Monday, so be it. Just happy to get them as I haven't seen a lot of these episodes in years, if not ever.