-

Photo
- - - - -

BVHE Press Release: Race To Witch Mountain (DVD/Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,594 posts

Posted July 06 2009 - 09:56 AM

Dwayne Johnson Stars in an All-New Excursion into the Supernatural 
Inspired by Two Beloved Disney Adventures   

RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN 
Available on Three-Disc Blu-Ray™ Hi-Def Combo Pack, Two-Disc DVD Set and Single-Disc 
DVD on August 4, 2009 

Burbank, Calif., May 8, 2009 – A tough-talking cab driver joins forces with otherworldly siblings to stop a 
global disaster in Race to Witch Mountain, coming to Blu-ray™ Hi-def and DVD on August 4, 2009 from 
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. Inspired by the classic Disney adventures Escape to Witch 
Mountain and Return from Witch Mountain, this all-new movie is packed with spectacular effects, action, 
and family-friendly thrills. The latest installment in the popular series, Race to Witch Mountain is available in three-disc Blu-ray Combo Pack that includes the film in both Blu-ray and DVD formats, two- disc DVD and single-disc DVD. Both the Blu-ray Combo Pack and two-disc DVD include DisneyFile, a digital copy of the movie that can be viewed on an array of electronic devices, and are packed with bonus features that keep the excitement coming long after the film has ended.  

Race to Witch Mountain reunites Dwayne Johnson (The Game Plan, Get Smart) with director Andy Fickman (The Game Plan, She’s the Man) in a rousing sci-fi adventure that the entire family will enjoy. The film also stars AnnaSophia Robb (Bridge to Terabitha), Alexander Ludwig (The Seeker: The Dark is Rising ), Carla Gugino (Night at the Museum),Tom Everett Scott (That Thing You Do), Ciaran Hinds (The Tale of Despereaux, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I), Chris Marquette (Just Friends), Billy Brown (Lakeview Terrace), Cheech Marin  (Beverly Hills Chihuahua) and Garry Marshall (“The Simpsons”), with special appearances by Kim Richards and Ike Eisenmann, who played Tina and Tony, the siblings who hold the fate of the world in their hands, in the classic Disney films.  

BONUS FEATURES FOR RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN  
Both the Blu-ray™ Hi-Def and two-disc DVD editions of Race to Witch Mountain include these exciting 
bonus features:  
• Deleted Scenes - With commentary by  director Andy Fickman  
• Bloopers - Dwayne Johnson and the cast crack up over on-set mistakes.  
• Dylan & Cole Sprouse: Blu-ray™ Is Suite!   
• Learn How To Take Your Favorite Movies On The Go  

Exclusive Blu-ray Combo Pack bonus features include:  
• BACKSTAGE DISNEY: Which Mountain? - Director Andy Fickman reveals the film’s hidden references to the original movies, Escape to Witch Mountain and Return from Witch Mountain. 
• D-Box - Viewers equipped with a D-BOX™ Integrated Motion System will be able to experience a whole new dimension while watching this movie. 

Las Vegas taxi driver Jack Bruno (Dwayne Johnson) sets off on the adventure of a lifetime when two mysterious teens ask him to drive them deep into the Nevada desert. Jack agrees to take siblings Sara 
(AnnaSophia Robb) and Seth (Alexander Ludwig) to Witch Mountain, a shadowy government outpost 
devoted to studying inexplicable phenomena – including UFO sightings. But his young passengers are 
no ordinary teens. With a ruthless adversary on their trail, Sara and Seth display astonishing supernatural abilities and Jack becomes a reluctant hero as he helps them evade their pursuer. As Witch Mountain reveals its long hidden secrets, Jack discovers that his passengers are the only key to saving the world!  

Race to Witch Mountain has a suggested retail price of $35.99 for the 1-Disc DVD, $44.99 for the 2- 
Disc DVD and $51.99 for the 3-Disc Blu-ray Combo pack.   

About Disney Combo Packs (Blu-ray + DVD + DisneyFile): 
To provide consumers with unprecedented quality, value and portability of their favorite Disney movies, 
in 2008 WDSHE pioneered the Combo Pack – a Blu-ray Disc™ plus a DVD and a DisneyFile digital copy 
of the film in a single package. Current Disney branded titles available as Combo Packs include High School Musical 3, Bolt, Bedtime Stories and Beverly Hills Chihuahua. 

STREET DATE:  August 4, 2009 
Pricing:   1-Disc DVD: $35.99 SRP 
2-Disc DVD: $44.99 SRP  
3-Disc BD Combo Pack: $51.99 SRP 
Feature run time:      
Rated:    PG   
Bonus Materials Not Rated 
Technical specifications may only apply to feature. 
Aspect ratio:   DVD: Widescreen (2.35:1) - Enhanced for 16X9 Televisions  
Languages:   English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles  

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, a recognized leader in the home entertainment industry, is the 
marketing, sales and distribution company for Walt Disney, Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax 
and Buena Vista product, which includes DVD, Blu-ray Disc™ and electronic distribution. Walt Disney 
Studios Home Entertainment is a division of The Walt Disney Studios 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 16 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,960 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 06 2009 - 11:29 AM

You gotta be kidding me with those MSRPs. $35.99 for a barebones 1-disc SD release? Disney needs to pull its head outta the sand.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 16 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,495 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 06 2009 - 01:41 PM

Agreed--the retail prices are ridiculous.

- Steve

#4 of 16 Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,379 posts

Posted July 06 2009 - 03:15 PM

Calling the pricing ridiculous is an understatement. $51.99 for the Blu-ray set which will include 2 discs I HAVE NO INTREST IN WHAT SO EVER. Even with a Amazon discount of 33% it still comes to a hefty $34.83!!!! for 1 Blu-ray disc. /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsdown.gif  Sorry a serious NO SALE HERE!!!

#5 of 16 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,794 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 06 2009 - 03:32 PM

I thought Disney lost their minds when they were charging a $45 MSRP for Adventureland. On the plus side, I can't imagine that this rather large price increase will work for Disney. Hopefully these titles will all tank and it'll act as a warning to other companies that think that consumers are dumb enough to buy anything no matter what it costs.

I hope they don't pull this rip off price with Up.

#6 of 16 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,504 posts

Posted July 06 2009 - 05:24 PM

$51.99 MSRP for the Blu-ray?!?!  Absolutely ridiculous. 

#7 of 16 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 07 2009 - 12:13 AM

C'mon Disney, at least Warner tries to cover up their price gouging by giving us a box of trinkets.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

and the march towards premium pricing continues on...........................

Death before Streaming!

#8 of 16 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted July 07 2009 - 06:05 AM

I can't believe this one - I thought Disney was swimming against the tide by UPPING their retails for new blus to $45, making sure they do their bit against mass adoption. 

I read this expecting to see the $45 figure again - but no!  $51.99!!???  Are they insane?  Even with vendor's discounts this will be horrendous.  I hope folk pass on this release and send the message to Disney that greed is not the way to go.

#9 of 16 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 07 2009 - 07:36 AM

Hmmm, let's see it has Dwayne Johnson in it and it has a $51.99 MSRP.  BVHE couldn't make this disc any more unappealing if they electrified the packaging.

Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#10 of 16 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,960 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 07 2009 - 02:17 PM

And then they'll complain about lackluster sales.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#11 of 16 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,794 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 07 2009 - 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H View Post

And then they'll complain about lackluster sales.

I think/hope this is a case of them testing the waters. If it doesn't sell, they'll know that it's the price tag and go back to normal prices and if it does sell, you'll see more releases with similar prices.

#12 of 16 LarryH

LarryH

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted July 07 2009 - 03:38 PM

Apparently beat out Last House on the Left and Miss March on its opening weekend, but otherwise not exactly a barn-burner.  Hard to imagine what the Mouse is thinking with this absurd pricing.  I might have checked it out at a  street price of $20 or less, but no way Jose at this price!

#13 of 16 MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted July 08 2009 - 07:29 AM

An absolutely absurd price point.  I really hope consumers aren't stupid enough to plunk down the cash for that. 

Why does it seem like Disney is trying to stop people from purchasing their DVD/Blu-ray titles?

$35 for a single disc DVD?  

I feel like it's 1998 and I just bought a non-anamorphic Lake Placid from FOX.

Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#14 of 16 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,177 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 08 2009 - 10:11 AM

I would pay about $40 for a BD double feature of the 1970s originals which will be out when hell freezes over apparently, like any non-Platinum/Diamond title made more than five years ago. I'm not interested in this at any price, and certainly not for a price higher than what it would have gone for on laserdisc.

Somehow Warner's ton of tacky trinkets don't seem so tacky anymore.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#15 of 16 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,742 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 09 2009 - 09:53 AM

Those prices seem suspicious to me.  I got the same press release.  I think they accidentally used Canadian or non-US pricing.  I've made some inquiries and will let you know if I hear anything back.

#16 of 16 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,742 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 22 2009 - 08:25 AM

The price in the press release is wrong.  It should be 44.99 MSRP.