Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Press Release: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation UCE (DVD/Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,769 posts

Posted July 06 2009 - 05:17 AM

Posted Image

A 20th Anniversary Gift Edition That Will Jingle Everyone’s Bells!

NATIONAL LAMPOON’S CHRISTMAS VACATION

ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION

ON DVD & BLU-RAY™ HI- DEF FROM WHV OCTOBER 27

Complete Holiday Survival Kit with Great Goodies in a Collectible Gift Tin

Burbank, Calif., July 6, 2009 – On October 27, Warner Home Video celebrates the 20th anniversary of the perennial holiday favorite with the release of Ultimate Collector’s Editions of National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation in a gift-ready package all set for the season. The cool collectibles include a replica of Clark Griswold’s holiday Santa hat, a set of holiday themed drink coasters with memorable quotes from the film, a box of faux snow, and an “I survived a Griswold Family Christmas” button. Exclusive to the Blu-Ray gift set is a collectible Moose figurine.

All will be festively packaged in a collectible gift tin. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation Ultimate Collector’s Edition will be offered in both Blu-ray Hi-Def ($49.99 SRP) and in a DVD version ($39.92 SRP).

About the Film

In National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) attempts to create a picture perfect, old-fashioned Christmas for his family and invites his extended family to celebrate the holidays at his home. But a festive supporting cast including Beverly D’Angelo, Randy Quaid, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Juliette Lewis and Doris Roberts, 25,000 lights on the roof, an exploding turkey on the dining room table and a SWAT team taking siege outside soon help Clark realize that more does not always mean merrier. Critic David Sheehan said the film is “funnier than the first Vacation. Chevy Chase is at his best!” John Hughes wrote and was a producer on National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation; Jeremiah S. Chechik was the director. 

Special Features:

Audio commentary with Randy Quaid, Beverly D’Angelo, Johnny Galecki, Miriam Flynn, director Jerimiah Chechnik, and producer Matty Simmons.

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation Ultimate Collector’s Edition

Street Date: October 27, 2009

$39.92 SRP

Blu-ray™ Hi-Def Catalog

$49.99 SRP

Feature Running Time: 97 minutes -- Rated: PG-13

16x9 Widescreen

Subtitles: English

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted July 06 2009 - 10:05 AM

Seems as though this is the same release as the 2003 edition given the only extra is the same commentary as that one.  Fake snow, a button, coasters and a Santa hat aren't enough to warrant a re-purchase.  Had the DVD itself been presented with more features, an audio overhaul, etc, then hands-down I would've bought it.

My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted July 06 2009 - 12:29 PM

I was thinking the same thing.  I presume the draw is a new BR, as the initial release pretty much got panned for picture quality and audio.  The SD just looks like a good way to waste 30 bucks considering the previous release has been showing up in 5 dollar bins.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted July 06 2009 - 02:29 PM

Wow, and I was expecting a Citizen Kane Blu-ray UCE including a replica sled and snow dome.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,974 posts
  • LocationNew York City/San Lorenzo, PR

Posted July 07 2009 - 12:37 AM

This has to be one of the strangest, scratch-your-head decisions these guys have made to date. Who even wants this, and why now?
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts

Posted July 07 2009 - 02:17 AM

This is the same thing they did with A CHRISTMAS STORY last year -- it's the same disc in "deluxe" packaging. No reason to buy it unless you need the figurine and other junk they're inflating the price with.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted July 07 2009 - 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Luisito34 

This has to be one of the strangest, scratch-your-head decisions these guys have made to date. Who even wants this, and why now?
I don't know about that.  CHRISTMAS VACATION is one of the more popular recent Holiday titles.  I'm sure this should do well for them. 

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted July 07 2009 - 05:25 AM

Seems like a crappy way to cash in on the 20th anniversary...

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted July 08 2009 - 05:44 AM

Could not agree more.  Would've loved an uber-special edition with deleted scenes, a making of documentary, reunite the cast for a retrospective, etc.  This is bar none my favorite comedy hands down and I would gladly re-purchase had it included any or all of the above.  The commentary is pretty god-awful and doesn't offer much insight to the movie at all.  Throughout most of it, Beverly D'Angelo makes it crystal clear how much she was disgusted by her hairstyle back then.......riveting.  lol  Ah well.  In '03, I was just happy to own the movie in widescreen, and I'm still just as happy to have that disc on my shelf today.  I'm sure I can live without the 'faux snow'.

My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users