What's new

Westinghouse Playhouse - Scarface Mob (2 part Untouchables pilot) (1 Viewer)

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
Does anyone know whether the complete 2 part Untouchables pilot is available anywhere? The theatrical version is widely available including on the Season 1 part 1 DVD release, but I haven't been able to find the original 2 parter anywhere.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by stuartfanning

Does anyone know whether the complete 2 part Untouchables pilot is available anywhere? The theatrical version is widely available including on the Season 1 part 1 DVD release, but I haven't been able to find the original 2 parter anywhere.
From what I heard, it aired on TV Land back in the early days of the network. I didn't have the channel then so I don't know for sure but if it did, then you might see if someone recorded it from there. Other than that, I know that the Paley Center has it available for viewing. But I don't think you are really missing anything. The Untouchables DVD included the Westinghouse openings from both parts.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Well the description reads to me and the case art looks like it is "The Scarface Mob", feature, with the Desi Arnaz intros as an extra, not the two episodes of DESILU PLAYHOUSE.

Oh, and Steve London was not in either version. But this makes up for leaving him off the case artwork for S2-S4, and almost leaving him off the S1 case artwork.

This should have been a triple feature release with "The Gun OF Zangara"" and "Alcatraz Express"

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I agree, it looks like all they're doing is putting on DVD *exactly* what you can already get on the S1 release. Thumbs down to CBS for a big waste of time and resources.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(More generally and in addition).

I'm guessing these "waste of time and resources" dvd releases featuring previously released tv episodes, are probably not meant for the hardcore fan/collector types (such as many of us in this "tv on dvd and bluray" subforum on here).

Most likely the intended audience for these "waste of time and resources" tv episode dvd releases, are for impulse buys from dump bins by non-hardcore types. CBS/Paramount probably know very well that these "waste of time and resources" dvd releases, will most likely become $2 dump bin fodder relatively quickly.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I scratch my head at a lot of these re-releases of shows. Why have Daniel Boone and I Spy both come out three separate times on three different labels? Of course from the same exact elements, which makes even less sense, considering there were elements issues on both. First thing I ever watched on DVD in my life was an I Spy episode and there was a minute and a half fight scene missing, which I have on an off-air VHS tape.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I scratch my head at a lot of these re-releases of shows. Why have Daniel Boone and I Spy both come out three separate times on three different labels? Of course from the same exact elements, which makes even less sense, considering there were elements issues on both.

If I had to guess, the guys running these labels have too-easy-access to cash with very little to no street-smarts in the home video business ?

(ie. Easy lambs to the slaughter).

;)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From what I heard, it aired on TV Land back in the early days of the network. I didn't have the channel then so I don't know for sure but if it did, then you might see if someone recorded it from there. Other than that, I know that the Paley Center has it available for viewing. But I don't think you are really missing anything. The Untouchables DVD included the Westinghouse openings from both parts.

It might have been broadcast on TV Land's first night, which was all first episodes and some rare pilots.

I say that, because that was when they aired The Time Element, which was the first and only time I ever saw that aired or released until the Twilight Zone Blu set some 16 years later.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
It might have been broadcast on TV Land's first night, which was all first episodes and some rare pilots.

I say that, because that was when they aired The Time Element, which was the first and only time I ever saw that aired or released until the Twilight Zone Blu set some 16 years later.

The Time Element was around the hobby from film since the mid-80s.

Tremain

Grip
Real Name
Kelly
It's all about business. In the TV realm, they don't usually care about completeness or quality, but how many times those hypothetical "ma's" are going to drop $9.99 on a collection of Bonanza because "pa" really likes it. For every "remastered or die" stickler in the world, there are 1,809 people willing to re-buy a Gilligan's Island release because it has a colour cover instead of b&w. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks