• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 AudioFreak

AudioFreak

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted July 04 2009 - 12:57 PM

Hooking up a HDDVR,Bluray,Xbox 360 (component),and Nintendo Wii(component). The 1610 does analog to hdmi conversion,but will only output 480i/480p. Since my tv will do up to 1080i,does that really matter? I figure the tv will do a better job at it anyways.Just hook the components to the receiver and let it output to the tv via hdmi and let the TV do the upconversion.Am I thinking about this the right way?Thanks

#2 of 2 Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted July 04 2009 - 02:08 PM

Your Bluray, HD-DVR, and Xbox are all high-definition to begin with.  Your (assuming flat panel or DLP/LCD projector, not a CRT) TV will convert them to whatever its native resolution is, 1366x768 or whatever; it won't necessarily be an "upconversion".  For Blu-ray it's probably "downconversion".  DVDs in the Blu-ray player will be upconverted in the player, not the set, if you hook up the Blu-ray via HDMI and set output to 720p/1080i, which the TV will rescale to its native res.

You'd want to hook up the HDDVR/Blu-ray to the 1610 via HDMI.  For Xbox/Nintendo, you should probably also hook up component from the receiver to the TV, to see if you notice any difference vs. the receiver converting to HDMI.  If no difference then you can disconnect & just use the HDMI from receiver to TV.

For DVDs on the Blu-ray player, you should probably also test a component video line directly from the player to the set, see if the TV scales better than the player + TV scaling through HDMI.  Again if you see no meaningful difference then you can drop it.

For Blu-rays, if you have a non-CRT non-1080p you should try both 720p and 1080i, again pick whichever looks better to you, if you can tell any difference.

In any case, a universal remote is a good idea to manage all the switching & control everything without having to switch remotes all the time.  Logitech Harmony models are good at this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users