Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need a Home Theater Installer Recommendation

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 gojays_1

gojays_1

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted July 03 2009 - 12:08 PM

Hello,

I have not posted for a while and forgot I was even a member!

I am moving to Burlingon, Ontario, Canada. I currently have my home theater in my basement. The house we are moving to does not have a finished basement so we are going to put the HT in the family room. My plan is to mount the 52" lcd above the fireplace (see my reply to the 'tv over the fireplace' post, as I have little choice.)

I need a professional installation service to mount the tv, wire the room for surround sound and hook it all up. Does anyone have any recommendations or can someone give me a link to a good review site for Canadian installers? I found a few installers but not enough reviews to make a decision. So far I found the 'geek squad' from Best Buy who list the 'advanced' surround installation at approx. $800. They get mixed reviews. Is that a reasonable charge? Would that include tv bracket and all the cables? I also found a place called Zip Express. Any reviews of them?

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks

#2 of 9 gojays_1

gojays_1

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted July 06 2009 - 02:23 AM

28 views and not a single reply! C'mon guys help me out here!

Does everyone hook it all themselves, or does no one know anyone in my neck of the woods who is competent enough to do this work?

#3 of 9 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,049 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted July 06 2009 - 09:03 AM

The majority of the members here are US based so that puts you at a disadvantage.  Second, this part of the forum is low traffic because very few of us do large projects or have dedicated rooms.  Finally, yes we all install our own equipment.  I don't want anyone touching my stuff.  They don't know how it works.  And when they re-connect everything wrong how will you correct it without paying someone else? 

-Robert

#4 of 9 gojays_1

gojays_1

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted July 06 2009 - 12:41 PM

I hear you Robert. Unfortunately I cannot find a great site like this in Canada. You probably would be hard pressed to find enough dedicated members.

As for touching my stuff, I know exactly what you mean. I hooked up all my own stuff in my basement. It was not perfect and I wish I had someone professional do it though. And in my new place, I simply don't have the know how to do it myself. I don't have a clue how to mount a big screen above a fireplace safely and wire the entire room to conceal the wires. Fortunately, my home inspector has someone who may be able to help me out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

#5 of 9 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,049 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted July 07 2009 - 12:44 PM

Break it down into small projects.

Mounting the TV - Find the appropriate mount.  Fixed, tilt or one of those neat swivelly ones.  Mark the spot on the wall for it.  Does it have proper support beind the drywall?  Add some.  Yes, you will have to cut holes into the drywall and nail, screw, glue bracing to the wall studs but that is an excuse for tools.  Attach the mount to the wall.  Hang the TV on the mount.

Now that you have watched TV with wires hanging down the wall, you can start to hide them.  Do you have a basement below or an attic above you?  Are any of your walls exterior?  Are there any door ways in the shortest path of the wires?

I'm an IT guy by trade.  I take home theater and especially wiring jobs as a challenge.  For example, I installed the wiring for my cousin-in-law's DirecTV.  I had to use a ladder in his attic to climb down behind his son's bedroom and on top of the master bedroom on the first floor.  I then drilled the hole to run the coax with a 1" paddle bit 7" inches long.  My hole didn't go all the way through the boards so I added my 12" extension.  I drilled and drilled.  Still didn't break through.  Off to Wal-Mart for another extension.  I ended up with a 31" drill bit that finally broke through the thickest top plate I have ever encountered.  But I ran the cables.  The next day with the satellite installer came, we was amazed at what I had done.  He even called other installers to stop by and take a look.

Every time I hit a road block, I found a solution.

-Robert

#6 of 9 joker

joker

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted July 09 2009 - 03:11 PM

hey wayne
i am getting a theater installed in my basement and i am using definitive sound they are excellent
and they are local
i can put you in touch with them if you like just send me a message
how much are you willing to spend?

#7 of 9 gojays_1

gojays_1

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted July 10 2009 - 10:28 AM

Hey guys thanks for responding.

Robert, I'm simply not that handy and my road blocks usually end up in collisions! My wife put it so nicely and succinctly; she just says..Honey, face it you're just not handy, your strengths lie elsewhere! Well I can live with that I guess.

Joker, I'm not sure how much I want to spend. I have two references so far, so hold off on others for now. Thanks for the advice though.

I have found two places. One is called Nivasa, the other was a referral from home inspector named Ed Dobric. Anyone heard of either of them?

#8 of 9 joker

joker

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted August 25 2009 - 10:49 AM

hey wayne
my system is all done and all i can say is WOW
i would refer these guys to anyone
if you have not gone with anyone yet let me know

#9 of 9 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,560 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted August 25 2009 - 12:18 PM

Try the CEDIA finder service.  You can search for Canadian companies: http://www.electroni...finder_form.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users