Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Texan, starring Rory Calhoun Now Available!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Kronosis

Kronosis

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted July 02 2009 - 08:15 PM

Posted Image

Wow. I can't believe this has finally come to DVD!
70 out of 78 episodes on 10 discs.
Has anyone bought this yet? Does anyone know if it includes any Billboards or other extras?

Considering it's 4:15am here, I'll write more about this later!

"I just been standin' here, thinkin' how looked up to I'd be, back in Wilder's Holler, if I's to take home somethin' like this jar..."

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted July 02 2009 - 11:44 PM

I finished watching this set around six months ago, and have seen a lot of westerns since so my memory is a little foggy.  I don't think there were any bonus materials, but it was a solid uncut release with above public domain video and audio quality.  I would recommend especially to anyone who likes westerns.  Rory Calhoun just appeared in an episode of Zane Grey Theater, which I am watching right now.  I feel that this is one of the most interesting and unusual westerns that I have seen in a long while and urge everyone to pick it up - great show!

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted July 03 2009 - 02:44 PM

I also picked it up I believe sometime late last year and watched it on and off until finally finishing it last month. It was really good but you could see it was running out of gas at the end. The last couple of episodes repeated actual footage from previous episodes while reworking the plot and characters a bit. They must have been running out of money and knew the end was near.

If you like the Texan I would recommend watching the Restless Gun. They are similar in that they both center around I guy with a fast gun that goes from town to town helping people out. John Payne plays the character from a bit more of a sympathetic angle that I preferred but they are both good.

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Kronosis

Kronosis

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted July 03 2009 - 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb 

I also picked it up I believe sometime late last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug^Ch 

I finished watching this set around six months ago
Jeez, I feel like I just fell off the proverbial Turnip Truck. I definitely missed this one somehow!

"I just been standin' here, thinkin' how looked up to I'd be, back in Wilder's Holler, if I's to take home somethin' like this jar..."

#5 of 15 ONLINE   stuartfanning

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted October 01 2009 - 04:20 AM

Good release. Decent picture. Pity they didn't include any spots that Rory Calhoun did for first season sponsors: Viceroy Cigarettes!

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted October 01 2009 - 11:05 AM

I just finished The Texan set and I liked it very much. I was wondering why they left out the remaining few episodes?

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted October 01 2009 - 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisALM 

I just finished The Texan set and I liked it very much. I was wondering why they left out the remaining few episodes?
My understanding is that they just couldn't find good enough prints of the remaining episodes.

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted October 03 2009 - 03:36 AM

If it's only 8 remaining episodes, I think most fans would've understood and appreciated episode inclusion of less than stellar quality. Just to have them all combined. A pity, but still a great set well worth getting! 

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted October 03 2009 - 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow 

If it's only 8 remaining episodes, I think most fans would've understood and appreciated episode inclusion of less than stellar quality. Just to have them all combined. A pity, but still a great set well worth getting! 
That is where I am with The Texan set. In this case, I am happy to have the set, and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the remaining 8 episodes if they became available.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted October 15 2012 - 03:53 PM

The series, originally produced by Desilu/Rorvic Productions, which later would be owned by Paramount and now CBS TV Distribution, would benefit from a retooling by TMG/Shout! by securing the missing eight episodes from CBSTD to make it a truly complete series set.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 04:34 AM

I love it, one of my top western series and would buy the whole thing over again if they included the missing episodes - and if they could correct the brightness. It's way too bright, almost as if by mistake so, and a bit annoying that the picture must be darkened everytime you watch it when I can't imagine this would be problematic for the manufacturers/company to do. If this isn't corrected beforehand, I'd imagine it's also hard to sell it to TV channels where it really deserves to be seen again. It's that good a western show, yes.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted October 16 2012 - 05:57 AM

I love it, one of my top western series and would buy the whole thing over again if they included the missing episodes - and if they could correct the brightness. It's way too bright, almost as if by mistake so, and a bit annoying that the picture must be darkened everytime you watch it when I can't imagine this would be problematic for the manufacturers/company to do. If this isn't corrected beforehand, I'd imagine it's also hard to sell it to TV channels where it really deserves to be seen again. It's that good a western show, yes.

I can't understand why releases have contrast/brightness issues. I am a videographer and this kind of correction is very simple. It's like these people never heard of a waveform monitor to adjust their picture within specifications. :confused:

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 06:09 AM

That's what I would imagine too yes that it's easy to fix, it seems like a case of just pushing the right buttons and it's done. The rest of the picture looks good enough even for broadcast, in my opinion.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted October 16 2012 - 06:39 AM

That's what I would imagine too yes that it's easy to fix, it seems like a case of just pushing the right buttons and it's done. The rest of the picture looks good enough even for broadcast, in my opinion.

I guess it's a matter of them wanting to put the least amount of time and money into it. Too bad.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 05:20 PM

That, and the fact that CBS Studios no longer seems to own or care for this program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users