Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"My Fair Lady" on Blu-Ray?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted July 02 2009 - 09:34 AM

Who holds the blu-ray rights to the CBS owned film "My Fair Lady".  Warner had the DVD rights but they have lapsed. Is Warner planning to get the Blu-ray rights or will they go to Paramount who last held the VHS rights? Or Does CBS deal with a different company on Blu-Ray? Amazon has a placeholder for the Blu-Ray so I might believe there are some plans to release it in the next year

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,393 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 02 2009 - 11:10 AM

Well, according to the recent Classic Coming Attractions column on thedigitalbits.com, Warner's license ran out in June. My guess is Paramount will do it, like the same agreements they have for the TV library (which CBS Corporation owns) and the Cinema Center Films and CBS Theatrical Films libraries.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   sestamuch

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted July 02 2009 - 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA 

Well, according to the recent Classic Coming Attractions column on thedigitalbits.com, Warner's license ran out in June. My guess is Paramount will do it, like the same agreements they have for the TV library (which CBS Corporation owns) and the Cinema Center Films and CBS Theatrical Films libraries.

Makes sense now that Warner's license is gone that it goes to Paramount, and hopefully there's a blu-ray down the road.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,899 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted July 02 2009 - 07:23 PM

I hope Warner Bros can regain the rights because it will always be a Warner Bros film. Warner Bros made the film, distributed it, Jack Warner produced it and the studio logo opens the film. I don't want Paramount to stick their logo on the disc and Warner Bros would surely give the film the prestigious Blu-ray edition which the film deserves. 

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,451 posts

Posted July 03 2009 - 04:16 AM

You mean to sell it only with a boxful of useless memorabilia and charge $80 for it?

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,899 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted July 03 2009 - 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin ">

You mean to sell it only with a boxful of useless memorabilia and charge $80 for it?
Of course. I want a pair of Henry Higgins slippers. <br /></span>

<br />

</div>

<ul id='postControlsNormal_3469771' class='post_controls clear clearfix' >
					<li class='top hide'><a href='#ipboard_body' class='top' title='Back to top'>Back to top</a></li>

</ul>

</div>
		</div>
	</div>

<hr />

<script type= var pid = parseInt(3469771); if ( pid > ipb.topic.topPid ){ ipb.topic.topPid = pid; } // Show multiquote for JS browsers if ( $('multiq_3469771') ) { $('multiq_3469771').show(); } if( $('toggle_post_3469771') ) { $('toggle_post_3469771').show(); } // Add perm data ipb.topic.deletePerms[3469771] = { 'canDelete' : 0, 'canSoftDelete' : 0 };

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,806 posts

Posted July 03 2009 - 10:27 AM

In the right hands this should be a gorgeous looking *and* sounding Blu-ray. Is on my short list of release date double dip purchases on BD.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,330 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted July 03 2009 - 12:14 PM

I found a copy of the 2 Disc DVD locally because I wanted it for the extras and audio commentary track, I couldn't take a chance that some of the extras may not be able to be released if CBS/ Paramount re-release it. 

I noticed a lot of local stores had it pulled from their stock including Suncoast and Barns and Noble. 

Amazon.com still seems to have it in stock. I can imagine once it is OOP the prices will start to rise on the 2 Disc Special Edition DVD set. 

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,393 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 06 2009 - 04:50 AM

If Paramount gets it, there's a chance it'll get out, since having Audrey Hepburn in it is a prerequisite for their catalog title releases.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#10 of 14 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 25 2010 - 06:10 AM

Look at The African Queen.  That is a Paramount Release and it looks great.  Also it wasn't Warner Brothers that restored "My Fair Lady" in 1994 it was CBS.  I think the film "My Fair Lady" needs  another restoration for a blu-ray release.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts

Posted September 25 2010 - 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stan Heck 

Look at The African Queen.  That is a Paramount Release and it looks great.  Also it wasn't Warner Brothers that restored "My Fair Lady" in 1994 it was CBS.  I think the film "My Fair Lady" needs  another restoration for a blu-ray release.

Jack Warner was only allowed to license the film rights for seven years. In 1971 the film rights reverted back to CBS (then partnered with FOX).  CBS did the film restoration for the 1994 release (Fox released the video) When DVD came about Warner struck a deal with CBS for the rights. Since then Paramount and CBS hooked up so Paramount will most likely release the Blu-ray. Though if Paramount is licensing out their films (Apocalypse Now) maybe Warner will get to release the blu-ray afterall. Film restortor Robert Harris recently posted that the film didn't need a new restoration just a little bit of digital tweeks

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   graham8z

graham8z

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted September 25 2010 - 07:20 PM

Or they will wait for new  Thompson/Mulligan version and release it then to capitalise on the publicity.

#13 of 14 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 26 2010 - 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 

Jack Warner was only allowed to license the film rights for seven years. In 1971 the film rights reverted back to CBS (then partnered with FOX).  CBS did the film restoration for the 1994 release (Fox released the video) When DVD came about Warner struck a deal with CBS for the rights. Since then Paramount and CBS hooked up so Paramount will most likely release the Blu-ray. Though if Paramount is licensing out their films (Apocalypse Now) maybe Warner will get to release the blu-ray afterall. Film restortor Robert Harris recently posted that the film didn't need a new restoration just a little bit of digital tweeks

Paramount no longer owns distribution rights to "Apocalypse Now".    Maybe Paramount will release a Blu-ray of "My Fair Lady" in 2014 for the "50th Anniversary" edition.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,088 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted November 25 2010 - 04:07 PM

2014 seems an awful long time to wait for the fairest lady of all...

And meantime, where are Carousel and Oklahoma! ?