Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

America's Got Talent

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   MandyHan

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted July 02 2009 - 04:06 AM

Anyone watching this!? There were two acts this week which just had me floored. Really good finds, and perhaps one of them will be the next Susan Boyle:

1) Thia Megia...she is 13, but her voice sounds at least 10 years older. It's quite impressive.

2) Kevin Skinner...an unemployed chicken catcher who also has a voice that just stops you in your tracks.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted July 02 2009 - 01:58 PM

Yup, when I heard Thia (she's actually 14) I thought of one person-Judy Garland. Little girl-big voice. She's going places. I wonder if she would qualify for American Idol since she has been on this show.
Kevin was pretty good too. I also liked the young kid that did the magic act (floating microphone). He had alot of showmanship.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,520 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 05 2009 - 05:02 AM

We're watching (wife and I). 1st season was great. 2nd season interested me next. This season is off to a good start, though no one really excites me as a winner, yet. Well, there were two magicians that were fun.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,559 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 05 2009 - 05:31 AM

I can't watch it this season.
Seems like they have amped up the quick cut editing to a new level of
seizure inducing possibilities.

I watched season 1 and don't remember these super quick cuts.

I would like to see the actual act for more then 2 seconds at a clip
without the shots of the judges and crowd mixed in.

facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,520 posts

Posted July 05 2009 - 11:24 AM

It will slow down when the auditions are over. For the Vegas acts and beyond, they show the complete acts with much less editing.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted July 05 2009 - 03:18 PM

I'm having trouble watching the show in a single sitting. I'm actually speeding through it just to skip over the filler material. It's like they're trying to emulate the success of the British version of the show, except that the British had legitimate talent on the stage, and Ant and Dec did a great job of hosting the show.

Nope. I think I'll skip the American version. It's very, very bad this year.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,591 posts

Posted July 05 2009 - 06:39 PM

I made it through 1 1/2 shows.  It's mostly a freakshow.  I didn't even see anyone with any real talent -- lots of kids doing stuff that's only somewhat remarkable because they are kids, and then... nada.

But it's the judges that are really turning me off -- I have no idea what qualifies Hasselhoff or Osbourne to be a talent judge, and they are usually annoying to listen to, but Morgan is the worst judge on reality TV.  I constantly want to punch him in the face.  A total blowhard idiot who keeps talking authoritatively about America likes when a) he's British, b) he has no taste, and c) he's stupid as all getout and never knows what he's talking about.  This is the worst judging panel on any talent show I've seen.  Then again, this is the worst talent on any talent show I've seen since The Gong Show.

Oh, and I assumed that Nick Canon was one of those naturally funny guys who ooze charisma.  But he's actually a total stiff.  I'm not a fan of Mariah Carey nor do I find her in any way attractive, but what the hell did she see in Nick Canon?  He constantly looks like he just woke up and is looking for a cup of coffee except for the few times he's mugging furiously into the camera.

I made it through the entire season of I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here, but AGT is too awful to sit through.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,520 posts

Posted July 06 2009 - 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo 

But it's the judges that are really turning me off -- I have no idea what qualifies Hasselhoff or Osbourne to be a talent judge, and they are usually annoying to listen to, but Morgan is the worst judge on reality TV.
Piers has gone soft this season. Past seasons, he was the most discriminating of the three. They showed some interesting arguments between him and Sharon, as she would let through untalented misfits, simply because they were differently-abled. And he argued vehemently that some modicum of talent was needed.

This year, he's more lax about what he's accepting.

I'm curious what's at Vegas. Many of the acts shown in Vegas are given only cursory treatment at the audition shows. And some of the highlighted auditions are expanded and varied for the Vegas show.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Dheiner

Dheiner

Gazoo

• 2,172 posts
  • Location'skonsen

Posted July 09 2009 - 09:30 AM

I can only watch via DVR.  I have to ff through most of the show.  But, there are some stunning performers.  Last nights' cancer survivor character was wonderful, however I thought the perky little kid character needed more work.
The Green Bay Packers
13-Time National Football League Champions: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, & 2010

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,520 posts

Posted July 09 2009 - 12:41 PM

I was completely baffled by your post. Last night's episode didn't have those performances!? Except last night I watched last week's on Tivo. Now I'm playing back last nights show; finishing with the opera singer / cancer survivor. I agree the litle girl needs improvement; my wife observes that she could do a good vaudevillian act, reducing the limitations of her singing.

My fave was the granny comic. And maybe the acrodunks.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   MandyHan

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted July 10 2009 - 08:05 AM

Barbara Padilla was the cancer survivor, and she was the only opera type singer I've seen so far this season. Should be interesting to see how they judge such a variety of acts.

Here's the clip to the comic granny for anyone who missed her! Even a little improv post-performance in her talks with the judges.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users