-

Photo
- - - - -

Karl Malden passed away at 97 years old!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,704 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 01 2009 - 09:07 AM

One of my favorite actors of all-time.  His resume speaks for itself. 

http://www.cnn.com/2...obit/index.html

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,215 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 01 2009 - 09:11 AM

RIP Posted Image

He was a big financial contributor to the BYU Media Arts Department, so I have the highest respect and gratitude for him and his work.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,225 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 01 2009 - 09:30 AM

97 years of age and a number of great movie roles. Amazing. Rest in peace.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 01 2009 - 09:38 AM

Malden was a terrific actor who had a remarkable career that spanned Broadway, television and films.  He could hold his own with the best (both his Academy Award nominations and his only win came in films starring Marlon Brando), and had major roles in a string of truly iconic films including On the Waterfront, Gypsy, Baby Doll and Patton.  (Which I happened to have watched just last week)  That was another strong Malden performance opposite a megawatt lead - George C. Scott in his Oscar-winning role.  But Malden could stand toe-to-toe with Scott and not vanish from the film frame - something that can't be said for every actor in the film. 

Regards,

Joe

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted July 01 2009 - 10:12 AM

Actor Harve Presnell has also died totday at 75 (He was in "Fargo" "Paint Your Wagon" "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" among others

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,360 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted July 01 2009 - 10:25 AM

97 years old... whoa!

Great actor, sad news. Always liked him.

R.I.P.

I think I'll watch Patton again, this weekend.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted July 01 2009 - 10:42 AM

97! Now that's staying power!

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,511 posts

Posted July 01 2009 - 01:32 PM

RIP to a great actor.

#9 of 13 ONLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,704 posts

Posted July 01 2009 - 02:46 PM

RIP. 97, now that's a life. He's seen a lot of things (born in 1912). Godspeed.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,795 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted July 01 2009 - 02:54 PM

And he was happily married for 70 years. It's so sad that his type of talented guy is in such short supply in Hollywood these days.

Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Chadmiller

Chadmiller

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 03 2009 - 08:56 AM

RIP

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Greg Bright

Greg Bright

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted July 04 2009 - 11:05 PM

I vividly remember running into him (or at least passing by him) literally one evening on a downtown street in San Francisco.  This was in 1973 or so when I was stationed there.  Obviously he was there working on his hit series "Streets of San Francisco" with co-star Michael Douglas.  I remember seeing the crews filming many, many times.  He had a nose only a Durante could love.  Fond memories in the barracks rec room once a week as we all recognized familiar sites around The City.  Yeah, he was one of the good guys.  

"Aufersteh'n, ja aufersteh'n wirst du, Mein Herz, in einem Nu.
Was du geschlagen, Zu Gott wird es dich tragen!"

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   luckytiff02

luckytiff02

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted July 06 2009 - 07:36 AM

I'll miss Karl Malden. He was a good man as well as a good artist. So many good movies that will live forever. He was a real class act. Too few of them left these days. Today's star's have very little to offer in the "class" category(compare to MJ - child molester). I think year 2009 is bad year for celebrities.