What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-ray Review: GRUMPY OLD MEN (1 Viewer)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Thanks for the review Michael. Will be getting this next week. Agree 100%

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I never bought this title on SD-DVD because it was not OAR. I'm glad to read that Warner did not use heavy NR on the transfer. I will definitely be picking up this comedy classic. Thanks for the review, Michael.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It's a mystery to me why this movie has been treated so badly in the past. I have refused to buy any version of it because it was only available in pan and scan. I'm happy to read that the PQ is good and they didn't NR it to death. It does seem to me they are continuing to devalue this movie by not including any extras. Surely they could have found someone to do a really good commentary. With Lemmon and Mattheau, there must have been back-stories galore to tell.

I have adopted a policy of not buying on release date, but this movie is selling for $19 at Amazon. I'm sure after a couple of months it will drop in price, but for this one, I don't think I can wait.

It's been a while since I've seen this movie, was Mattheau's last adlib the "nude scene"?

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Not to side track the thread, HDNET is showing the sequel Grumpier Old Men tonight July 6th at 10:05pm Est.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
It's hard to remember, but I think I had this on laserdisc in OAR wasn't it?
anyway, It's been that long since I've seen this movie.
Just for the mere fact that I didn't want to watch the DVD in a marred version.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I hesitated to buy the DVD, and finally didn't.
It's a pleasure to see this release. Thanks Michael for the outstanding review.

(Ordering it from Amazon.)

Cees

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Watched it last night.
I thought it looked great on Blu-ray.
I was very happy with this release and the way it looked and sounded.
Thank-you WB!

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I knew there was some reason I never bought this on DVD - thanks for reminding me that it was P&S. I guess I'm on for the Blu now. I hope they follow up with GOM2 now that I am one.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
The Grumpy Old Men movies are two of the very few non-OAR movies I ever bought on DVD. Why? Because they're not pan 'n' scan, but open matte. I simply treat them like non-anamorphic widescreen movies, zoom in and get a (fairly) proper widescreen image. Of course, the resolution is reduced, but it's better than nothing (and if they were truly P&S, I wouldn't have bought them).

Anyway, I'm certainly glad to see these movies coming out in OAR on Blu-ray. I'm not sure I'll feel the need to upgrade, but it's nice to know that the option exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks