What's new

Holy crap! I've been a member here over 10 years!!!! (1 Viewer)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Me too. Time flies. Hell I remember back in 95-96 seeing Ron's postings in the alt.rec.laserdisc newsgroups about this new "home theater forum" on the Delphi online service.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I was directed here from the old Consumer Electronics group on Compuserve, where there was much skepticism about this new "DVD" format with its digital video. IIRC I had already been on the HTF for awhile when DVD was officially rolled out in the U.S. in March 1997, and I bought my first player that fall. I fought in the DIVX wars and distinctly remember the howls of derision I got (on other fora) when I suggested that there would be a profitable market for full-season sets of TV shows on DVD. (Some of the loudest howls came from Warner Bros., which fought the idea tooth and nail for years.)

Ah, memories...

brentl

Senior HTF Member
What's funny is there are lots of members with 10 years here. What seems to happen, certainly with me, is that the interest wains or the $ or location limit upgrading so we move on.

This was always my first home for HT advice(getting and giving), and having lots of fun in the "after hours lounge", and always will be.

I remember the days when this site was all together, one section for everything, now that was fun. I remember trying to beat Jay H to 4000 posts, and then 5000 posts and losing both.

I remember Tom and Ron talking about a "new venture" too, and look how that turned out:)

When I finally find a wife and get a home I'll start posting like a madman, but at 41 I'm learning that renting and making less $ than most 25 year olds isn't that conducive to upgrading equipment very often:)

Brent

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Just shy of my 10 year mark. Lots of great memories in those years. Like others, my posting varies. I currently live in a condo which limits me from re-purchasing the big thunderous surround sound gear. I am stuck with just my 60" plasma for now.

I really do hope to go to one of the HTF meets sometime. I would sure love to meet a bunch of you fine folks.

Oh...I first came here via Steve's DVD web site (shoot...cant recall the name).

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
Add me to the list!

Ten years . . .

Fighting DIVX, Fighting Forced Previews, Fighting against Pan & Scan and for OAR (Original Aspect Ratio), and who can forget the "cable wars," lol, I still sometimes see posts here and elsewhere for "magic cables." Back then I used to advise people to get the thicker gold-lated interconnects from Radio Shack and 12 gauge speaker wire from Home Depot. While that still stands, these days I usually direct them to monoprice.com for HDMI and other interconnects.

Speaking of HDMI, how easy is that !?! LOL, one cable for each component and you're done! The receivers even set speaker distance, tone and volume now.

I remember checking the forum daily to see what new titles had been announced, and then searching for coupon codes to use to pre-order those on my list.

How about all those studio chats! Then there's the interaction we used to have with the studios through great people like Peter Staddon.

I most fondly remember the East Coast Meets at Scooter's. They were awesome! Getting to meet so many of the good people from the forum in person was the best. I still remember holding the Terminator 2 - Judgement Day DVD in my hot little hands months before it became available to the public.

I don't come here as much as I used too, or as much as I should, but I'm so glad to see that HTF is still going strong!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I've been a member 110 months, wow! Thats 3345 days!

4 million 8 hundred thousand minutes.

Edited by Steve Christou - 7/3/2009 at 12:03 pm GMT

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Steve Christou /forum/thread/289739/holy-crap-i-ve-been-a-member-here-over-10-years#post_3579572
I'm an engineer, so I'll need that in micro-seconds, if you please.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Hmmm...ah yes....ten years....back when I had to buy a laserdisc player with that modulator only to watch Phantom Menace on a laserdisc on my a kickass 53" 4x3 Toshiba RPTV !

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I had to buy a laserdisc player with that modulator
The RF modulator so that you could output a digital soundtrack to a DD / DTS receiver? I remember dropping $100 for one of those (on top of about a grand for my first Dolby Digital receiver.) Of course, that was closer to 14 years ago (my first DD laserdisc was The Lion King, released in 1995, the first year DD became available for the home market, two years before DTS would arrive with Jurassic Park and four years before TPM[ came to home video.)

I think I still have the thing sitting in a box somewhere, along with my LD player.

Regards,

Joe

Edited by Joseph DeMartino - 7/4/2009 at 05:31 pm GMT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks