Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Alien³ - Making Of (Quadrilogy)

Charles de Lauzirika

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   TheHutt

TheHutt

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted June 30 2009 - 06:41 PM

Hello,

It is not widely known, but Charles de Lauzirika's Making Of Alien³ documentary on the Quadrilogy set was in fact heavily censored by Fox, as it was too honest about the process of making this movie. Here is some info from IMDB:

Quote:
    [*]After Fox decided to edit over 30 minutes of material out of this documentary, Charles de Lauzirika (the director) decided not to put his name on it since it was not what he had wanted to do, he had planned on having a brutally honest depiction of what happened on set. He then changed his name to an alias, that of Fredrick Garvin. This name was that of an SNL character, a male prostitute, played by Dan Aykroyd.
     [*]The original title of this documentary was "Wreckage and Rape: The Making of 'Alien 3'" before Fox decided to censor it. It's worth noting that "Wreckage and Rape" is taken from the title of a music cue on the official "Alien 3" soundtrack. Unlike the other documentaries in the Alien Quadrilogy set, several of the chapters in the "Alien 3" documentary ended up with bland, non-descriptive titles, such as "Pre-Production: Part III," for example. The original, uncensored chapter titles were: 1. Development Hell: Concluding The Story 3. Stasis Interrupted: David Fincher's Vision 5. The Color of Blood: Shepperton Studios, 1991 7. The Downward Spiral: Fincher vs. Fox 8. Where The Sun Burns Cold: Fox Studios, L.A. 1992 10. Requiem For A Scream: Music, Editing and Sound
Woudn't it be just great if FOX would allow to release the original cut of the documentary for the Blu-Ray? I doubt they would allow it to happen, but I would surely appreciate it.

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted July 01 2009 - 02:48 AM

It'd be pretty cool if they did. But, nah. They don't seem to be that cool. :)

"Here's looking at you, kid."

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted July 01 2009 - 03:06 AM

I agree. I'd love to see this but I'd be very surprised if it happened. (Best case scenario - we get some additional material but not the whole 30 minutes).

In any case, the Alien Quadrilogy (or whatever they call it) is now my most-wanted Blu-Ray title and I'm sure they'll look and sound great.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted July 01 2009 - 03:37 AM

I knew it was censored but never knew it was to be called "Wreckage and Rape: The Making of 'Alien 3.'"

That's just asking for censorship IMO. Why not just call it "Fox Fucks Up Another One!"

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   TheHutt

TheHutt

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted July 06 2009 - 06:28 PM

Yeah... I also think, FOX is not cool enough to allow such a thing. But nevertheless, you still can dream...

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted July 09 2009 - 08:01 AM

There are two such documentaries I would be interested in seeing get the light of day.

One is the original version of the ALIEN 3 documentary, with the original material restored to it.

The other one is the original version of the STAR TREK TMP documentary that was intended for the DVD release before that too was cut down.  As I understand it, there was just too much ticklish material in there...

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted July 10 2009 - 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin EK 

There are two such documentaries I would be interested in seeing get the light of day.

One is the original version of the ALIEN 3 documentary, with the original material restored to it.

The other one is the original version of the STAR TREK TMP documentary that was intended for the DVD release before that too was cut down.  As I understand it, there was just too much ticklish material in there...
As far as Alien 3, wasn't there also material cut from the Alien Evolution documentary on disc 9? If memory serves, it covered all four films but they only included material for the first film. At the time, someone posted a screencap of actor Ralph Brown ("Aaron" from Alien 3) being interviewed to prove that there was other material out there.

And sadly, I doubt we'll ever get the complete story of the making of Star Trek: TMP. I'd like to hope we'll get some new documentaries/featurettes on the inevitable Blu-Ray double-dip but I don't think we'll ever see anything like Charlie's work on Blade Runner or the Alien films done for Trek (read: $$$).

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Jerome

Jerome

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted August 25 2009 - 04:43 AM

there is also a 90 min documentary about The crow which never see the ligh of day.
http://www.davidjsch.../essay_dvd.html

and this one about The Making of Emperor New Groove
http://www.mouseplan...u_May_Never_See

#9 of 20 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted August 28 2009 - 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Scott D S 

As far as Alien 3, wasn't there also material cut from the Alien Evolution documentary on disc 9? If memory serves, it covered all four films but they only included material for the first film. At the time, someone posted a screencap of actor Ralph Brown ("Aaron" from Alien 3) being interviewed to prove that there was other material out there.

Yes, the original version of that documentary exists. I own it.

All the segments about the last three films in the series were removed (although the segment on Aliens is very complementary). The reasoning was apparently that FOX didn't like the negative tone of the interviews about 3 and Resurrection, and decided to scrap those sections altogether.

You've got David Giler, Ralph Brown and H.R. Giger, among others, throwing out thinly veiled criticism and insults about Alien 3. Hell, Giger compares the design work on 3 to a piece of crap.

That said, those parts are awesome to watch.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Alex Sahounov 

Yes, the original version of that documentary exists. I own it.

All the segments about the last three films in the series were removed (although the segment on Aliens is very complementary). The reasoning was apparently that FOX didn't like the negative tone of the interviews about 3 and Resurrection, and decided to scrap those sections altogether.

You've got David Giler, Ralph Brown and H.R. Giger, among others, throwing out thinly veiled criticism and insults about Alien 3. Hell, Giger compares the design work on 3 to a piece of crap.

That said, those parts are awesome to watch.

Is this documentary available anywhere? Is it on DVD or was it a one-time TV special?

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,975 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 18 2009 - 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Scott D S 

Is this documentary available anywhere? Is it on DVD or was it a one-time TV special?

If the original version of the documentary is out there (and I'm not inclined to believe claims like that from a new member with one post), it's a leaked copy and not legitimately available.

#12 of 20 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 18 2009 - 07:15 AM

It was screened in the U.K. in 2001 (on Channel 4, if I remember correctly), and it's hosted by Mark Kermode (i.e. he's on-screen much more in the original version). The copy I have is a preservation of that 2001 screening.

Ask me a question about it. Anything.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,975 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 18 2009 - 07:38 AM

I mean no offense, I've just read too many internet posts saying things like "My friend found a copy of London After Midnight" or "I found the original cut of The Magnificent Ambersons in my grandfather's attic" and they never materialize so I have a problem just taking people at their word when they can say whatever they want due to anonymity.

Now that being said, if the original version of this documentary aired in England then I'm wrong and I have no problem admitting that. I do find it extremely odd though that 20th Century Fox thought that the original version of the documentary was too sensitive to put on DVD but they didn't have a problem with the same potentially problematic material airing in England.

#14 of 20 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 18 2009 - 07:49 AM

I couldn't speculate on why FOX allowed the documentary to be released in the first place, but it's not hard to see why they changed it for the Quadrilogy once you hear some of the comments from the participants of the Alien 3 interviews (as an aside, the Vincent Ward interview on the Quadrilogy looks to be from "Alien: Evolution" ).

To give you an example, Ralph Brown talks about the post-production process of Alien 3 about 51 minutes into the documentary, and says:

"It still could have all worked, had FOX held their nerve, and not screened it to a bunch of brain-dead teenagers in Southern California, and then actually followed their comments of, 'Oh, there's too many bald English guys in it' and all that nonsense."

And that's on the light side.

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Charles de Lauzirika

Charles de Lauzirika

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 11:27 AM

Just to clarify, "Alien Evolution" was not edited down for the Alien Quadrilogy DVD release for legal reasons or because Fox thought it was "too sensitive" a product to release publicly.  The "Alien"-centric version master was all that was available to us at the time, after Nobles Gate (the production company that produced this doc) had created that alternate cutdown specifically for Fox and what was originally going to be a 2-disc Five Star Collection release of the original "Alien."  

Also:  The Vincent Ward interview in the Quadrilogy was not created for "Alien Evolution."  It was produced specifically for the Quadrilogy.

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the info! 

The Five Star Collection... memories. 

#17 of 20 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 18 2009 - 03:42 PM

My mistake, Mr. Lauzirika. The way that Ward was shot in Evolution reminded me of the Quadrilogy documentary because he was sitting in front of a black screen in both (if my memory serves correctly). I didn't know that about the alternate version. I hope it gets released in it's original form (as a proper DVD) in the future.

As an aside, was the deleted footage from the "Wreckage and Rape" documentary made up of lots of on-set footage, or was it balanced more towards the more current interviews?

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted September 19 2009 - 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Alex Sahounov 

My mistake, Mr. Lauzirika. The way that Ward was shot in Evolution reminded me of the Quadrilogy documentary because he was sitting in front of a black screen in both (if my memory serves correctly). I didn't know that about the alternate version. I hope it gets released in it's original form (as a proper DVD) in the future.

As an aside, was the deleted footage from the "Wreckage and Rape" documentary made up of lots of on-set footage, or was it balanced more towards the more current interviews?

In the Quad documentary, I believe Vincent Ward was interviewed in an office (his?) so there was no black screen behind him.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   jerryfox004

jerryfox004

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 19 2009 - 11:37 PM

its great...nice to here from you..

Get your Term papers done - FlashPapers.com

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   jerryfox004

jerryfox004

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 19 2009 - 11:39 PM