-

Photo
- - - - -

Shark cage diving

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert_Z

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted June 30 2009 - 01:51 PM

At long last, I'm gonna dive into the Pacific to get a close-up look at sharks. I'm pumped.

Have any of you ever done this? Any tips (other than don't stick my arms/legs through the bars)?

Wish me luck!

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted June 30 2009 - 02:52 PM

The sharks are in a cage? I've never heard of this. Watch the movie "Jaws" before you go.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted July 01 2009 - 04:24 AM

I am not a big shark fan but that seems like it would be really fun. What types of sharks do you expect see on your dive? How long does the experience last.
The Legend is better than reality!

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert_Z

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted July 05 2009 - 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mcc 

The sharks are in a cage? I've never heard of this. Watch the movie "Jaws" before you go.
No, it's kind of like the shows on the nature programs on TV. You drop a cage in the ocean (in an area that has sharks), jump into the cage and watch sharks in their natural environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt^Brown 

I am not a big shark fan but that seems like it would be really fun. What types of sharks do you expect see on your dive? How long does the experience last.

Sandbar and Galapagos sharks mostly. Here's some info. Definitely don't expect to see any great whites, but this is definitely one of those "things to do before I die" activities. Nevertheless, I do hope to one day dive with great whites.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Michelle Schmid

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted July 10 2009 - 10:43 AM

I went shark diving at the end of '04 in Hawaii.  Saw sandbar and galapagos sharks just like you will.  There were a lot of sharks the day I went which was really, really cool.  The experience was AWESOME!  Definitely one of the "things I wanted to do before I die" as well--along with diving with great whites, which I have not gotten to do--yet!  Someday I want to go to South Africa to see them leaping out of the water.

Take an underwater camera.  I wouldn't have thought of it myself, but my bofriend gave me a disposable one the night before we flew out.  For a cheap camera it worked great and those are some of my favorite pictures of the trip now.

If you even think you might get seasick take something before you leave shore!  I know I get carsick and took something but at the end of the four hours at sea (in pretty calm water) I still threw up and I wasn't the only one.  Next time I'll take two.  Even with that the experience was still fantastic, and I'd love to do it again.