What's new

PASSION & POETRY: THE BALLAD OF SAM PECKINPAH documentary in region 2 (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Mike Siegel's hard-to-see documentary has finally been released on DVD, a Special Edition 2-disc set, in Germany.
Multi-region enabled Peckinaph fans don't want to miss it.

http://www.amazon.de/Passion-Poetry-Ballad-Peckinpah-Special/dp/B002B8F1EY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1246394071&sr=8-1

Richard

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is absolute pure gold for Peckinpah fans - totally unmissable. It's non-anamorphic, but the transfer is such that it zooms nicely (to around 1.66:1) with little noticeable degredation. The German DVD will be code free / Pal, English language with optional German subtitles. Disc 1: PASSION & POETRY - THE BALLAD OF SAM PECKINPAH 115 min. (audio - commentary by Mike Siegel in German & English language) Disc 2: STORIES ON A STORYTELLER three part documentary with additional interviews - Pt1: THE WESTERNER 29 min. - Pt2: ART & SUCCESS 36 min. - Pt3: POET ON THE LOOSE 38 min. MAPACHE TERRITORY 15 min. Featurette on the WILD BUNCH locations in Mexico ERNEST BORGNINE ON THE WILD BUNCH 15 min. Interview featurette WORKING FOR SAM 10 min. Mike’s home movies. Behind the scenes, Retrospectives & Festivals It's VERY English friendly. More details at Mike's website here.

ARublev

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
I just want to say I also have this set and agree 100% with Mr. Hodson's earlier comments. This is a truly magnificent set. One of the greatest docs on any artist ever made. Magnificent actually seems an inadequate word to use to describe it, its so good. This is solid gold, a treasure to be watched and rewatched and enjoyed again and again (and again!). The supplements on disc 2 are every bit as good as the main feature. Truly astonishing, and a definite contender for DVD set of the year/decade/century even!!! This is priceless!!! For fans of Sam Peckinpah this is as essential as breathing! I just cannot recommend this highly enough!

Don't let the fact that its a German release put anyone off, EVERYTHING in the entire set is in English apart from the text on the back of the box.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
You have all been very persuasive. I ordered the DVD yesterday, and I received the shipping notice (at least I hope it was a shipping notice, as the notice was in German) this morning.

Thanks to Richard--W for starting this topic.

jack phillips

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
Oops. I should have pointed out earlier that it's cheaper to buy through the producer's website than through amazon.de. The cost of the disc itself isn't all that different, but amazon.de really burns U.S. customers on shipping.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Originally Posted by jack phillips

Oops. I should have pointed out earlier that it's cheaper to buy through the producer's website than through amazon.de. The cost of the disc itself isn't all that different, but amazon.de really burns U.S. customers on shipping.
I completely lost track of the producer's website.
Why not post a link here for everyone who wants to save on shipping.

Richard

jack phillips

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
Sure: http://www.eldorado-film.de/the_film_passion_poetry.htm

In the event, I ordered through amazon.de as they had something else I wanted. If you combine orders, the shipping doesn't go up, and it's possible to come out ahead that way.

mike siegel

Auditioning
Real Name
mike siegel
It's PASSION & POETRY's 10th anniversary this summer and it's looking better than ever: we made a deinterlaced HD-master of a slightly enhanced cut and it will be released on Blu-ray in Japan this year. Of course it is no match to a 'real' HD master, but it certainly looks much better than the old SD version (letterboxes from 4:3).

In August 2015 it will be shown (brand-new DCP master) as part of the Peckinpah retrospective at the Locarno Film Festival. Maybe I'll meet some of you there? Other guests will excite you: Isela Vega, Katy Haber, Senta Berger, Garner Simmons, Lupita Peckinpah, Paul Seydor...

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
A fantastic documentary -- being a huge Ernest Borgnine fan, it is great seeing him roaring with laughter remembering Sam Peckinpah and the making of both "The Wild Bunch" and "Convoy" -- I loved also the behind the scenes footage of Sam in late 1984 directing a Julian Lennon music video, showing the care he took even filming this video.

Also the return to the location of "The Wild Bunch" years later with Sam's daughter -- beautifully filmed and presented.

mike siegel

Auditioning
Real Name
mike siegel
Thank you Brian!

You might enjoy my latest documentaries on CROSS OF IRON (UK/german BD), ALFREDO GARCIA (US Twilight Time BD) and CONVOY (73min., for some the making of the film is more interesting than the film itself; UK/German BD, US Kino Lorber BD)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks