Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Alastair Sim A CHRISTMAS CAROL November 3, 2009 - (UPDATE New 11-1-2011 Release)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 of 89 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,854 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 27 2011 - 10:15 AM

Somehow I knew I'd hook up with you again in this thread, Andrew! Lucky for you that you hadn't upgraded yet.  I wish they had gotten their act together and had all those bonus features ready for the first blu issue.  I was really surprised to see a new issue of this already.  But I guess it's probably one of VCI's cash cows, eh?!? 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#42 of 89 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,531 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 27 2011 - 11:00 AM

Yeah, what the heck happened?  I just bought the Blu-ray last year...and now this.  It sounds like a great package, but sheesh.

#43 of 89 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,451 posts

Posted October 28 2011 - 04:35 AM

Somehow I knew I'd hook up with you again in this thread, Andrew! Lucky for you that you hadn't upgraded yet.  I wish they had gotten their act together and had all those bonus features ready for the first blu issue.  I was really surprised to see a new issue of this already.  But I guess it's probably one of VCI's cash cows, eh?!? 

...provided that they fix all those annoying screen jumps this time. I bought the previous BD version but I'm buying this one too in the hopes that they fix those problems.

#44 of 89 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,531 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 28 2011 - 04:38 AM

I'm not even up to date on whatever problems there were, so thanks for the heads up.  I can stand to wait for the reviews.

#45 of 89 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,485 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted October 28 2011 - 05:35 AM

Someone asked VCI if the jumps would be fixed in the latest transfer on their Facebook page, but though they've answered other questions on this release, oddly on this issue they've remained quiet. Fingers crossed. BTW, there's another thread around revealing that VCI have scrapped plans for 'More Silent Dickens' on the DVD included in the set. Just so folks know.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#46 of 89 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,299 posts

Posted October 31 2011 - 03:07 PM

I picked this one up last year on blu ray. Loved it! I am also curious to know about the reissue and if it's the same print, etc.

#47 of 89 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,854 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 01 2011 - 05:33 AM

Amazon has now lowered the price to $10.99!  

But it is now listed as "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months." 

The blu release of two years ago is listed at $15.49.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#48 of 89 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted November 01 2011 - 07:13 AM

Somehow I knew I'd hook up with you again in this thread, Andrew!

:D :D :D Hey Mike! We love our 1951 "A Christmas Carol", don't we? I just got this reply from VCI about the delay: "The new Christmas Carol went through the experience of being pushed back in the replicators order of importance. You see, Disney's Christmas Carol was determined as being produced ahead of ours. It did put VCI in a bind for street date, however, it has been delivered to its retail partners and should be available and pre-orders delivering now. Thanks for your understanding. It's a wonderful edition this year and loaded with new added materials." Hopefully we'll get our copies soon! Is it too early to say Merry Christmas?:P

#49 of 89 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,854 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 01 2011 - 07:29 AM

[quote]Originally Posted by Andrew Budgell [url=/t/289659/alastair-sim-a-christmas-carol-november-3-2009-update-new-11-1-2011-release/30#post_3866268]

We do love our 1951 "A Christmas Carol"...maybe a little bit too much!  And something tells me the transfer will probably be exactly the same on this new release as the old one.  Time will tell. 

#50 of 89 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,854 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 01 2011 - 07:55 AM

Ooooh!  I think I just realized something!

The specs at amazon on the new release says it's got a 2.0 PCM audio track (in fact, it's the only audio track listed).  That could be a nice improvement over the release of two years ago which, IIRC, had 2.0 and 5.1 SD audio tracks.

I KNEW their had to be a good reason for me to upgrade--again--so soon. 

EDIT:  Further ooooooh!

I just checked DVD Beaver's review of the 2009 Blu release and it says it was released on a BD-25.  The specs on the new title says:

Product Specs: BD50; PCM 2.0; RT - 96 minutes; B&W; Aspect Ratio - HD 1080P; Year - 1951; SRP - $19.99   This Blu-ray edition has been digitally restored from a new 1080p, 24fps high definition transfer master produced from the 35mm negative and fine grain.

Maybe it does have a new transfer.  Although I suppose the BD-50 could be necessary simply for the bonus features.

#51 of 89 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,485 posts

Posted November 01 2011 - 09:38 AM

Well, in this thread they said: "The high definition master has undergone additional digital restoration to further improve the quality of the picture and sound..." A little confusingly (I think, here, they again mean the same master), on their Facebook page they added: "...It's the same HD transfer, but our restoration people are taking another pass at it, since we now have technology that we didn't have 2 years ago."
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#52 of 89 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,854 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 01 2011 - 09:58 AM

I missed that thread completely, John. It's all adding up that they've tweaked the HD transfer.  The question remaining would be "how much and to what effect?" The addition of a lossless audio track would be no small addition.

#53 of 89 OFFLINE   marsnkc

marsnkc

Second Unit

• 429 posts

Posted November 01 2011 - 10:19 AM

A personal anecdote: I remember like it was yesterday my older brothers and sisters talking excitedly about going to see A Christmas Carol at our local flea pit. I was devastated at not being invited along. "Too young", they said. Fast forward to ca. 1973 when, thanks to Siobhan McKenna, I got to meet and become friends with Brian Desmond Hurst. What kills me is that it wasn't until many years later that I discovered that not only had he known T.E. Lawrence, he'd been Korda's chosen man to direct that producer's version of Lawrence of Arabia. Brian was literally in a sea-plane waiting to take off for a recce to the Middle East when word came that the British Colonial governor of whatever country it was to be filmed in thwarted the plan. He didn't want any situation that involved 'a large gathering of Arabs". This is info I gleaned from reading up on the various attempts to make a movie about TEL, none of it from Brian himself, so take it with the proverbial grain of salt.

#54 of 89 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,485 posts

Posted November 01 2011 - 10:34 AM

You get more than a flavour of Korda's proposed 'Lawrence' in The Four Feathers don't you?
Film Journal Blog

#55 of 89 OFFLINE   marsnkc

marsnkc

Second Unit

• 429 posts

Posted November 01 2011 - 04:04 PM

Thanks, John. That'll be my homework for tonight!

#56 of 89 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,144 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 03:31 AM

You get more than a flavour of Korda's proposed 'Lawrence' in The Four Feathers don't you?

What are you talking about? Other than some North African location shooting, I can't think what they would have in common.

#57 of 89 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,485 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 04:56 AM

What are you talking about? Other than some North African location shooting, I can't think what they would have in common.

The scale, the epic sweep, the 'Boys Own' heroics, the locations (the budget); gives *me* a flavour of the kind of production Korda would have been aiming at. That's what I'm referring to; surely that's clear? BTW, in a vain bid to drag the thread back on track, Deepdiscount shipped my copy of Scrooge (aka A Christmas Carol in the Colonies) today.
Film Journal Blog

#58 of 89 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,854 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 02 2011 - 05:15 AM

Hmmm.  Amazon is now showing "In Stock."   But, my estimated delivery date is still December 16 thru December 30.

#59 of 89 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted November 02 2011 - 05:30 AM

No worries, your secret is safe with me, Mike! :D I just checked my orders page at Amazon and it's listed as shipping soon!

#60 of 89 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,451 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 05:34 AM

I just checked my orders page at Amazon and it's listed as shipping soon!

Have they adjusted your price yet (down to 10.99)? Mine isn't listed as "shipping soon" yet but still shows 11/7-14 as the expected delivery date (still at $15.99).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users